Variation on "Selective Target"

Sociotard

I'm converting some of the spells from the Wheel of Time RPG into hero, and I liked the effect they had for lightning. They had it as an area of effect type thing with selective targeting (many lighning bolts). However

a) you didn't have to make any additional attack rolls to hit individual targets.

B) If there were any friendlies in the area of effect, they still took a hit, it was just less. Sort of like damage reduction.

How would you write this? I was thinking of +1/2 to any standing area of effect, and any friendlies or other non-targets only take 1/4 damage. That's just because standard selective target forces you to make additional attack rolls and costs +1/4.

I suppose you could just call it a +0 advantage and still require additional attack rolls, and have the reduction at 1/2. Then any time you missed the second roll, they at least take 1/2 damage.

I use an additional advantage, which I call "Automatic Selective Target." It's like Selective Target, but doesn't require an additional attack roll for each target. How much should this cost? Well, AE Nonselective is a +3/4 advantage and requires additional attack rolls, AE Selective is a +1 1/4 advantage and requires additional attack rolls, but only hits enemies. The difference between hitting everyone in the area and hitting only the ones you select is +1/2. Therefore, I claim that AE Selective w/No additional attack roll should cost +1 1/2 (+1 for AE w/o add'l attack rolls, +1/2 for only hitting those selected).

the right way to do this is autofire explosions (as many autofires as you have lightning bolts). You hit the target you want with full force and everyone around gets blasted some too.

expensive, but then throwing around a half-dozen lightning bolts should be.

You can no doubt achieve a similar effect much cheaper and with many fewer rolls a different way.