Fangs, Claws, Tails, Breath & all?

Alibear

If a beastie has an array of weapons bought outside of an MP can it unleash all at the same time?

Lets use a Manticore as an example, it has claws, a bite and a tail to attack with, all bought seperately. Can it slash, bite and sweep with the tail all in the same phase without using sweep maneuver penalties?

I'm inclined to say that it can, but would like another opinion, would anyone care to comment?

Thanks in advance,

Alistair

Yes, with some restrictions, as per the rules for Multiple-Power Attacks on FREd pp. 234-35. (Fear the Manticore!) :eek:

Assuming a character had a large enough Reserve in a Multipower to assign two or more attack Power slots simultaneously, he could even make a MPA using those.

Note that mixing HTH and Ranged attacks (like claws and a "breath weapon") is not allowed in MPAs as a default rule.

from the FAQ:

If you want to hit a single target multiple times with the same, or two similar, damage-causing Maneuvers or attacks (like Martial Strike and Defensive Strike), usually you should pick one of the maneuvers and use a Sweep (or Rapid Fire, if Ranged attacks are involved). Multiple-Power attacks work best when you combine two different forms of attack to generate an interesting effect, not when you just lump two damaging powers together to cause more damage.

With this interpretation, I would say no. However, he could grab with the claws, doing no damage, and use them to hold the player while they bite, while simultaneously doing a Shove with their tail, which may be an area attack as well.

LIke it says above, the idea is to create multiple interesting effects, not necessarily to deal more damage.

Cool, a rules-wording debate! :cool:

Beyond the fact that that passage doesn't specifically forbid such a tactic (I checked the FAQ myself just to be sure), there are precedents for allowing this with certain types of creatures. The Bestiary, for example, mentions that predators often use fang and claw MPAs against their prey; typically they Grab their victim with their jaws, then savage them with fang and claw their next Phase. (p. 31)

Many of the Bestiary creatures have differences between their Killing Attacks to distinguish them: some may be larger or smaller, have Armor Piercing, Reduced Penetration and so on. The example manticore could be built that way - Normal Damage tail, simple HKA for the claws, AP HKA for the fangs. In such cases the MPA makes dramatic sense, as Steve usually puts it. ;)

However, I do agree that the quoted proscription against multiple damaging Martial Maneuvers is a good balancing factor; maneuvers are so cheap that the Martial Artist could quickly become overwhelming.