New Weapon Stat Opinions Sought

L. Marcus

I´m preparing to write up my own weapons list for my Undermount Reaches campaign, and I just thought of an interesing thing: How fast is a weapon? Should´nt the fact that a light weapon, or a more well-balanced one, can be more easily handled than a heavy, clumsy weapon give a bonus to DEX for the purpose of determining initiative?

I figured this would work with Lightning Reflexes through a weapon OAF, and that weapons weighing up to 0.5 kg would get +2 DEX, up to 1 kg would give +1, up to 2 kg +/-0, up to 4 kg -1 DEX, and up to 6 kg would yield a -2. And if the weapon is unbalanced, like an axe or a mace, it would get a -1.

Is this anything? Comments? Viewpoints? Wild, up-close-and-personal flames? Shoot! :)

I think with the amount of information that has to be tracked in combat I think this would just add one more thing.

2 guys fight, one DEX 11, one 12. Dex 11 has his dagger out and the other has his sword. The guy with the dagger can now hold his action before the guy with the sword, waits for him to miss, and then haymakers. Is that right? What if he decides to cast a spell instead?

I think it just creates too many questions while adding very little to the game. Weapon length already plays a factor if you apply it, and I think this does enough.

Originally posted by Greatwyrm

Would it be easier and/or cheaper to just buy it as DEX with the limitation "Only to determine initiative in the segment"?

I think it would just be easier to allow certain weapons to have Lightning Reflexes with the weapon at the 1 point per level cost. So a dagger might give +2 Lightning Reflexes for 2 points, and then apply the OAF Limitation to it. So a dagger might look like:

Dagger: +0 OCV 1d6-1KA +2 LR 6 STR MIN

So slow or cumbersome weapons add +0 LR, +1 LR for quicker weapons, and +2 LR for very quick weapons.

I will probably look at doing this for my own FH game, but I might also save Lightning Reflexes like this for only magical weapons, where it would make more sense for them to be slightly quicker. I would be a little worried about the quickness escalation if I allowed it for every weapon.

The (or one) problem with LR for weapons is that attacking with a fist should be at least as fast as using a weapon...so either everyone gets LR as an Everypower, or you have to make weapons subtract from DEX instead of add to it (which is not a completely bad idea).

Originally posted by Talon

The (or one) problem with LR for weapons is that attacking with a fist should be at least as fast as using a weapon...so either everyone gets LR as an Everypower, or you have to make weapons subtract from DEX instead of add to it (which is not a completely bad idea).

Yeah, that is why I will probably only use it for magical weapons. Personally I do not think I need to worry about "weapons speed factors." I never used it in D&D and I really would not want to use it in HERO. The system is already complicated enough and combats do not need to be slowed down by another calculation, IMO.

My personal feeling is that STR Minimun and Weapon Size are the deciding factors. If you are strong enough to use the weapon then speed should not factor into it (and you could easily state that as with not enough STR, each -1 OCV with a too heavy weapon could also give -1 DEX in regards to quickness).

Thanks for your opinions, guys, it´s really been useful.

I´ve come to the conclusion that I will use LR only for masterwork or magical weapons, and, as Monolith suggested, reduce DEX for initiative along with OCV for heavy weapons. This is what makes sense right now, at least . . . :)

Thanks again!

Western Hero had a sort of speed factor based around fast draw but I've been thinking of using something similar to what you mentioned but in reverse. Dex penalties for determining initiative, that way they only come into effect when two characters of the same speed and similar dex face off (or at least speeds with common phases). Ex BoB Spd 3, Dex 18 is fighting with a Broad sword (-2 Dex), while Joe is Spd 3 Dex 18 and has a Bastard Sword (-3 Dex), they would have been equal but Joe's weapon is bulkier allowing Bob to take the initiative. This could also help break characters out of those most efficient point cost stats, it would have been a good idea for Joe to buy an extra point to off set the penalty. I suppose skill levels should also be allowed to reduce these penalties, perhaps even do like fast draw and allow characters to make fast swings taking off from their OCV to offset the penalty. Of course high quality or magic weapons could reduce these penalties or even add to dex.

Anyway just a thought I've had to help give weapons more personality otherwise why would anyone take a short sword over a broad sword unless it was the strmin (unlikely) or character concept (the horror... the horror...).