All your base

archer

Silly rules questions on bases and vehicles. Feel free to add your own silly questions.

!) The area you own surrounding your base can be doubled repeatedly. If my base has duplication and each of the duplicates has their area doubled repeatedly, it the progression in size geometric or straight arithmetic?

That is to say, you doubled the area four times: 2, 4, 8, 16. So your area is 16. But you have four duplicate bases.

Is your total area straight math 16+16+16+16? Or did you double four times for the first base, double another four times for the second base, another four times for the third base and another four times for the fourth base?

If it works geometrically, I might be able to buy a solar system and duplicate one planet into several.

2) With my base that has mutliform, is the disguise implied when it turns into an abandoned amusement park or should it purchase the disguise skill as well to make something that looks like an abandoned amusement park look like an abandoned amusement park?

3) My modified space shuttle (zero point energy power system with an AI) has bought martial arts to use with its extra arms. I'm fine with that, even though it's been Martial Throwing jets around. But now its started taking side trips to the South Pacific and has become the object of worship for a cargo cult.

He's been taking the islanders around the world to take "cargo" back home which is eventually going to get him into trouble.

But does he buy the islanders as followers, do I buy the islanders as followers even though they aren't exactly following me, or are they just partners "in crime" because none of them really understand the concept that the property isn't cargo that exists as a gift of the gods?

• 2 weeks later...
On August 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM, archer said:

Silly rules questions on bases and vehicles. Feel free to add your own silly questions.

!) The area you own surrounding your base can be doubled repeatedly. If my base has duplication and each of the duplicates has their area doubled repeatedly, it the progression in size geometric or straight arithmetic?

That is to say, you doubled the area four times: 2, 4, 8, 16. So your area is 16. But you have four duplicate bases.

Is your total area straight math 16+16+16+16? Or did you double four times for the first base, double another four times for the second base, another four times for the third base and another four times for the fourth base?

If it works geometrically, I might be able to buy a solar system and duplicate one planet into several.

Geometric, assuming all the created duplicates duplicate themselves when each act of duplication occurs.  The number of bases B after N duplications then is B = 2N.

If only the original item duplicates, then it's arithmatic, and the number of bases is B = 1 + N.

In either case, the total area A occupied at the end of it all is B times the area occupied by one base.  If The individual base area is itself a function of N, then multiply the two functions.

Depends on the precise build (or if you aren't in HERO system, exact wording of the duplication power).

2) With my base that has mutliform, is the disguise implied when it turns into an abandoned amusement park or should it purchase the disguise skill as well to make something that looks like an abandoned amusement park look like an abandoned amusement park?

A multiform looks like what you want it to.  This is part of the build process.  That said, the alternate form can have its own disguise skill or illusion power that makes its superficial appearance different from the alternate form's base appearance, and the cost of those is part of what you pay for in the build process.

A similar basic idea is one for which I made spells for a fantasy world, where secret papers could be obfuscated by both illusion powers and actual transform powers (documents to different documents), and multiple layers of both were explicitly permitted.  (This was in a very corrupt plutocratic city.)

3) My modified space shuttle (zero point energy power system with an AI) has bought martial arts to use with its extra arms. I'm fine with that, even though it's been Martial Throwing jets around. But now its started taking side trips to the South Pacific and has become the object of worship for a cargo cult.

He's been taking the islanders around the world to take "cargo" back home which is eventually going to get him into trouble.

But does he buy the islanders as followers, do I buy the islanders as followers even though they aren't exactly following me, or are they just partners "in crime" because none of them really understand the concept that the property isn't cargo that exists as a gift of the gods?

I would say this depends on the story you want to tell.  If you want the story to include other players (or significant NPC adversaries) seducing/educating the natives so they abandon the spacecraft "master", then you're now doing opposed skill rolls and the natives are more weathervanes with side effects about who's winning the opposed test.  

IME HERO system is not built to have that sort of contest; the mechanics for opposed social mass effects are rather sketchy.  

HERO system is much more about resolving this if the opposing sides settle the matter by having a public punch-out fight in the sky over the native settlements.  In that latter case, the story doesn't include turning the native followers into educated adherents of international law; ithe story hinges on the personal battle between superpowered adversaries.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

A multiform looks like what you want it to.  This is part of the build process.  That said, the alternate form can have its own disguise skill or illusion power that makes its superficial appearance different from the alternate form's base appearance, and the cost of those is part of what you pay for in the build process.

A similar basic idea is one for which I made spells for a fantasy world, where secret papers could be obfuscated by both illusion powers and actual transform powers (documents to different documents), and multiple layers of both were explicitly permitted.  (This was in a very corrupt plutocratic city.)

That's a very cool idea.