Using breakfall to stand as a 0-phase action?

ferat

I've seen several people mention that you can use breakfall (or perhaps acrobatics) to stand up as a 0-phase rather than a half-phase action. I cannot, however, find any rules that support that theory.

Can someone point me to where that's actually described? It's sort of implied in the 'breakfall' description in UMA, but still never actually spelled out.

Any help would be appreciated 'cause it seems a little silly for my MA to buy TP with 'position shift' just to mimic an 'instant stand' ability.

The stand up as a 0-phase action is in the first sentence of the Breakfall skill writeup in FREd page 33. It says you can "...roll out from a fall and stand up without taking a half-phase action." It goes on to talk about the mechanics of rolling out of a fall and other uses.

GN

Thanks. And here I thought that Breakfall kept you from falling, but it was Acrobatics that could stand you up without a roll...

Of course, the new Reposition Adder for movement powers works great for Running for the high-DEX types. For five points, you can change your position as a 0-Phase without any kind of roll.

Originally posted by Ghostnight

The stand up as a 0-phase action is in the first sentence of the Breakfall skill writeup in FREd page 33. It says you can "...roll out from a fall and stand up without taking a half-phase action." It goes on to talk about the mechanics of rolling out of a fall and other uses.

sigh. I posted this because at our game this weekend the topic came up and I wasn't allowed to make the roll. One of the other guys at the table said he didn't see anything in the breakfall description to support my claim and I just took his word for it and tried to find it elsewhere.

Thanks!

I'm not so sure... I've always assumed that Breakfall used the momentum to help you roll to your feet. In other words, you can use Breakfall to regain your feet, but only if you've just fallen or been knocked back. I'm not sure it's supposed to let you gain your feet in a 0-Phase if you were just prone for some other reason (such as having previously been knocked out.)

Maybe a question for Steve. :)

Originally posted by mattingly

Thanks. And here I thought that Breakfall kept you from falling, but it was Acrobatics that could stand you up without a roll...

Of course, the new Reposition Adder for movement powers works great for Running for the high-DEX types. For five points, you can change your position as a 0-Phase without any kind of roll.

By "change your position" do you mean, "change the direction in which you are facing?"