Whats' the Hero System Value Proposition?

Joe Walsh

The real issue is non-attention by the people who are supposedly playing.  

I've found the problem can be mitigated a few ways

• Less players and less villains, less time before a player get to go again.  Strangely, with more players and consequently more villains, the trip sheet fills up and slower.  Players who play slow moving bricks (spd 4) will tend to get bored vs fast moving martial artists (spd 6-7) who will tend to have more actions.  I've seen at cons, a second GM can help by prompting players to think about their actions before they are necessary.
  • Exposition.  I've been found guilty of this, sadly after noting it in my wife's writing.  Long story exposition is interesting to you or maybe a player, but when a player isn't directly involved, they get bored.  So I've tried to do what I told my wife to do in her writing, show more, tell less.  My villains no longer do long expositions, they act and I let the players try to figure out why.  Players can ask after the combat why the villains did certain things, but during combat, villains rarely take more than a few seconds before they act.
  • Open with a bang.  This doesn't have to be combat(but it usually is), just having players involved making lots of quick decisions from everyone.

Sorry, I hit the post somehow before actually finishing.  I think its my mouse.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aces and Eights does not have a time chart but does use time.  Every action you take takes a certain number of seconds.  Firing a gun, starting a sprint, going out to a full run, slowing from run to a stop, etc.  It looks very interesting but never played. 

Its unplayable.  The concept is interesting but it slows down everything to the point of insanity.  Its like Hero's speed chart x1000, everything moves in slow motion.  I'm not exaggerating or using hyperbole, everything literally moves in 1/10th second intervals.  Aces & Eights is a triumph of nearly unplayable design.  its award winning but all but impossible to actually play.