4th edition vs 5th edition??

GrimJesta

Originally posted by Agent X

I like the new advantages. Of course, I'm not a newbie. If was a newbie, I'd just bite off a few advantages at a time. Learning any system takes time. You aren't required to use every advantage to build a character so it really shouldn't have any impact, unless you are in competition with the other players or the GM is one of those guys who likes to "outbuild" his players. Then you've probably got more serious problems than too many advantages.

I'm with AgentX, primarily because I think advantages and lims on "generic" powers is a more consistent "toolkit" approach than having too many specially-tailored/specific powers. I think it's a necessity of the HERO system. Of course, it could be made more easy to follow, for example, all of the "smaller" or niche advs/lims could be taken out of the main text and shuffled to a glossary-like section of the book. But I think that for HERO to function as a system that's about the best one could do.

Running a group of HERO novices was a strong incentive for switching to full 5th Edition. There was really no reason to stick to 4th and send them looking for an out-of-print book. Overall, I like FREd better, through I still have a few issues with derived characteristics, STR/CON being underpriced etc.

I think Ill take exception to the argument that only one character could multible power attack .

Couldn't Icicle? Im not sure if EC's can.

Also is there anything on being able to take an attack and "energising" your Str attack so you Punch/blast your opponent?

In which case most of the characters could multible attack, just not as effectively as a straight double power.

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

I think Ill take exception to the argument that only one character could multible power attack .

Couldn't Icicle? Im not sure if EC's can.

Also is there anything on being able to take an attack and "energising" your Str attack so you Punch/blast your opponent?

In which case most of the characters could multible attack, just not as effectively as a straight double power.

Only if the EB was no range. Can't mix meelee and ranged attacks in a multiple power attack.

A few things of note... as I just read the 20-30 posts, I am not going to try to answer directly, but I am sure you will all know what I am referring to...

- As to multiple power attacks in 4ed, there were a few, but it seemed that they all were linked powers (such as Starburst's flash linked to his EB, and such). Actually, thinking about it, there was Power Crusher (a brick who stole/drained powers)... he had to have been written to use an MPA (though we never ran him as such... the mind is churning now!)

However it would have been ruled then, in 5ed you expressly cannot use different slots in an EC for a MPA, but MP slots are ok (as would I assume are slots in an VPP).

Another wonderful reason to convert to 5ed is that you can use the HeroDesigner application! While it would be an additional expenditure of funds, the ability to create characters quickly and accurately (I can't tell you how many math errors I have had to fix in the past!) is an ability without compare. However, for the most part, you have to live within the "official" 5ed rules for character creation.

That said, the ability to customize powers with modifiers (advs and lims), as well as "adders" is what makes the HERO system the best toolkit for creating characters.

Oh, and I also disagree that D&D 3ed was not a significant upgrade. The system was vastly improved, and even 3.5 was well worth spending the money on!

Silbeg...

Originally posted by Silbeg

A few things of note... as I just read the 20-30 posts, I am not going to try to answer directly, but I am sure you will all know what I am referring to...

- As to multiple power attacks in 4ed, there were a few, but it seemed that they all were linked powers (such as Starburst's flash linked to his EB, and such). Actually, thinking about it, there was Power Crusher (a brick who stole/drained powers)... he had to have been written to use an MPA (though we never ran him as such... the mind is churning now!)

However it would have been ruled then, in 5ed you expressly cannot use different slots in an EC for a MPA, but MP slots are ok (as would I assume are slots in an VPP).

Another wonderful reason to convert to 5ed is that you can use the HeroDesigner application! While it would be an additional expenditure of funds, the ability to create characters quickly and accurately (I can't tell you how many math errors I have had to fix in the past!) is an ability without compare. However, for the most part, you have to live within the "official" 5ed rules for character creation.

That said, the ability to customize powers with modifiers (advs and lims), as well as "adders" is what makes the HERO system the best toolkit for creating characters.

Oh, and I also disagree that D&D 3ed was not a significant upgrade. The system was vastly improved, and even 3.5 was well worth spending the money on!

Silbeg...

Yeah, but if you already have 4th edition and Heromaker, and an OS it will work on, you are set. Heromaker is still my favorite. Everything else is just slow, slow, slow - and needlessly restrictive.

Guest Keneton
Originally posted by Agent X

Yeah, but if you already have 4th edition and Heromaker, and an OS it will work on, you are set. Heromaker is still my favorite. Everything else is just slow, slow, slow - and needlessly restrictive.

And of course one of the 5 printers that actually worked with the program that by now are 15 years old.:D

Obviously you haven't tried HeroDesigner v2... the thing is wicked fast! Seems to be so even on older machines (such as 333MHz P2/P3?, based on some posts I have read).

Silbeg