Clarifications for the Tournament of the Dragon

AlgaeNymph

I’m normally more specific with my topic titles but I’ve a few odd questions that don’t fit a higher theme, and may have more as I think of them.  Also, the questions assume knowledge of the source material, particularly the 4e supplement Watchers of the Dragon.  Here’re my questions, with no further adieu:

• According to the rules no high-tech is allowed in the tournament.  But what about everything else that isn’t martial arts?  No reason was given that I remember for other superpowers being disallowed, save for implied tradition.

• Related to the above, what if the fighter only uses martial arts, but they’ve been genetically enhanced?  (Teleios might enter on a lark…)

• The tournament winner’s home country becomes preeminent for the next 60 years.  What if their country is the V’hanian Empire?  Or does the boon only go to the continental level?

Ah, Watchers of the Dragon. One of my favorite 4E books, and a unique combination of narrative story, adventure book, and NPC roster. :thumbup:

I'm going to preface this by saying that a lot of what you're asking about falls within GM's interpretation, even if following the official setting (either 4E or 5E/6E). At the time WotD was written, the Age of Superheroes wasn't long enough for a Tournament to have fallen within it, so comic-book superpowers as we define them today didn't exist when it was last held. There were no known aliens on Earth competing, so how the rewards for the victor might redound onto another world never became an issue. Since these things haven't been defined, you should feel free to decide however you think would make an interesting story. (Last time I used the Tournament I had Firewing enter and ultimately defeat all comers as well as the Death Dragon. I intended the mystical effect of his victory to reawaken the Malvan drive and ambition dissipated by the Elder Worm curse, making the galaxy more... interesting. :eg:  I never got the chance to follow through on that, though.)

Martial artists were traditionally favored as champions because the mental discipline that usually accompanies MA training helps them withstand the terror of the Death Dragon. OTOH advanced technology is banned for the very practical reason that it's much less effective against the DD than more traditional ways of fighting, due to the nature of the magic that binds it. As I pointed out earlier, flashy super powers weren't an option over the centuries of the Tournament's existence, so they may very well be allowed now. OTOH knowledge of the Tournament of the Dragon has tended to stay within the Martial World sub-culture over the centuries it's been held, and isn't normally advertised outside of that, so most other supers probably would not have heard of it. That would be one rationalization for why WotD didn't deal directly with the concerns you raise.

• 4 weeks later...

(Dang, didn't reply because I didn't have much to say, then put it off, but it's something, so...)

Thanks for the thorough-yet-concise reply!  It's certainly answered my questions with affirmative maybes.  ; )

I am curious who you think won the tournament in 2012.  Based on what happened to the Champions-verse (and ours) I'm guessing the Dragon won...  😞