2022-23 Basketball Thread

Pariah

I couldn't find an updated basketball thread, so here we are.

And let's begin with the most compelling non-story of the off-season, the Kevin Durant saga.

Kevin Durant trade rumors: Superstar tells Nets owner to deal him or fire Steve Nash, Sean Marks, per report

Something about inmates running the asylum...

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I couldn't find an updated basketball thread, so here we are.

And let's begin with the most compelling non-story of the off-season, the Kevin Durant saga.

Kevin Durant trade rumors: Superstar tells Nets owner to deal him or fire Steve Nash, Sean Marks, per report

Something about inmates running the asylum...

That's been true for a couple decades, and a major issue for at least a decade.  Not even sure I could pick a single poster boy leading the way...LBJ, Harden, Irving?  At least those might be the recent ones.  

• 4 weeks later...

Robert Sarver, Suns and Mercury owner, has been suspended for a year, and fined $10M, for an *extensive* history of racist and misogynistic comments.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-investigation-robert-sarver-suns-official-release

From the sound of it, he makes Dan Snyder look cuddly.  Broad sentiment is, this is a slap on the wrist, but what was done with Donald Sterling probably won't be repeated...because it's too threatening to the other owners.

EDIT:  from the executive summary:

As set forth in more detail below, during the period:

• Sarver said the N-word at least five times in repeating or purporting to repeat what a Black person said—four of those after being told by both Black and white subordinates that he should not use the word, even in repetition of another.

• Sarver used language and engaged in conduct demeaning of female employees. Among other examples, he told a pregnant employee that she would be unable to do her job upon becoming a mother; berated a female employee in front of others and then commented that women cry too much; and arranged an all-female lunch so that female employees at Western Alliance Bank, where at the time he was CEO, could explain to female Suns employees how to handle his demands. • Sarver commented and made jokes frequently to employees in large and small settings about sex and sex-related anatomy, including by making crude or otherwise inappropriate comments about the physical appearance and bodies of female employees and other women. On four occasions, Sarver engaged in workplace-inappropriate physical conduct toward male employees.

• Over 50 current and former employees reported that Sarver frequently engaged in demeaning and harsh treatment of employees—including by yelling and cursing at them—that on occasion constituted bullying under workplace standards.

Couple of points from talk shows, basically on the same aspect:  the suspension was inadequate because the level of outrage isn't as high.  

--There's no tape.  When tape exists, outrage boils over.  Ray Rice...nothing until the tape.  Donald Sterling...we had the tape.  DeShaun Watson...no tape.

--It's the off-season, so basketball generally is still on the back burner.

--It's old news.  The allegations were brought up last year.  Outrage fades...which isn't a bad thing, but it does.  Insiders all knew Sterling was a weasel, but that charge SMACKED us upside the head, and we reacted.  The NBA had to move quickly, and the outrage remained very high.  Contrast, again, Deshaun Watson, and Dan Snyder.

--Listening to a part of NBA Today...according to Ramona Shelbourne, in the Sterling case about the sale of the team by his wife against his wishes...the sponsors *bailed*.  The club was gonna be bleeding money *fast*.  That damaged the league, and that gave Silver more leverage.

So one thing here is that last point.  The players won't be happy...on either team.  The team sponsors won't be happy.  So this may not be over.  Sarver may still have to divest, as a business move.  

The best impetus to force Sarver out is financial pressure.

The Suns have a pretty big deal with PayPal as jersey sponsors...that's a high-vis location.  And it looked like there were other cross-promotional aspects.

Also, the team's 2nd-largest shareholder publicly called for his removal.

Timing may be big here.  It's the 16th.  Training camps open on the 27th.  Opening day for the season is Oct. 18th.  Sponsors will feel heat to decide, certainly by opening day, and media heat on the players and coaches will explode when training camp opens.

Head of the player's association is calling for his ban now.  

"It is our players' desire that while we understand that there has been a thorough investigation and we're very pleased that the NBA was able to follow through on that, because that's clearly something that we want to see happen, we also want to make it very clear that we do not want him to back in a position where he will be impacting our players and those who serve our players on a daily basis."

Late edit, before shutting down for the evening.  Opinion piece in USA Today on the situation:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/columnist/jeff-zillgitt/2022/09/16/phoenix-suns-owner-robert-sarver-out-public-pressure-mounts/10397274002/

43 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Still too much. 

$60-70?  Nah.  More than I'd spend regularly, but very reasonable for a special occasion.

Most I've spent?  30th birthday.  Born in '58...there are good wines out there, but they're scarce.  But '59 was one of the great years in Bordeaux.  '59 Palmer.  $500.  In 1988 dollars, mind.

And totally worth it.

It's a lot harder nowadays to pull the trigger, because wine prices have skyrocketed beyond reason.  Very good California Cabs like Diamond Creek could be found for around $30 a bottle in the mid 80s;  that'd be about $80 now.  But the current prices...closer to $300 for recent Diamond Creek offerings.  I'd shifted away from Cali for that reason, mostly doing wine from Spain or Chile, and in some cases, some of the blended Cali reds that were quite good, and TONS cheaper.

So, yeah, I'll grant you can get a very enjoyable bottle for a lot less, but the really good stuff can be on another level altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

Complete list of projected win totals for every NBA team

Houston Rockets 23.5 games
Indiana Pacers 23.5 games
Oklahoma City Thunder 23.5 games
San Antonio Spurs 24.5 games
Utah Jazz 24.5 games
Orlando Magic 26.5 games
New York Knicks 28.5 games
Brooklyn Nets 29.5 games
Detroit Pistons 29.5 games
Sacramento Kings 34.5 games
Washington Wizards 35.5 games
Charlotte Hornets 36.5 games
Portland Trail Blazers 39.5 games
Chicago Bulls 42.5 games
Los Angeles Lakers 44.5 games
New Orleans Pelicans 44.5 games
Atlanta Hawks 45.5 games
Cleveland Cavaliers 47.5 games
Toronto Raptors 47.5 games
Dallas Mavericks 48.5 games
Minnesota Timberwolves 48.5 games
Memphis Grizzlies 49.5 games
Miami Heat 49.5 games
Denver Nuggets 51.5 games
Philadelphia 76ers 51.5 games
Golden State Warriors 52.5 games
Los Angeles Clippers 52.5 games
Milwaukee Bucks 52.5 games
Phoenix Suns 52.5 games
Boston Celtics 54.5 games

These are *seriously* debatable in some spots.  Celtics lose their coach.  Suns are a wet mess off the court, how will that affect things on the court?  Have the Lakers really fixed their issues?  Granted, 44 wins is probably out in the first full round of the playoffs, but that roster could still completely bomb.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Look, I'm not cleaning to be an expert or anything here, but have we considered the fact that Draymond Green may just be mentally ill? Has anybody checked?

I doubt it.  I think his competitive drive has simply never been throttled, and his impulse control is poor.

Mind, those are explanatory points, rather than excusive.  Those are issues you'd hope to outgrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh. The Jazz win their season opener against the favored Nuggets tonight, 123-102. 

I saw the introductions of the teams before the game, and two things really stuck out to me: 

1. There were a large number of empty seats. That's just not something you see at a Jazz game.

2. There were maybe two Jazz players who looked like they were actually excited to be there tonight.

Opening game notes...

From the Athletic's Pulse newsletter, Lakers look just like last year.  No outside shooting.  No fixes for the core issues.  Granted, playing the Warriors, but they were very dismissive.

Tonight, the Nets fall, and Ben Simmons looks...pretty miserable.  They lose...to the Pelicans.  Down 18 at the end of 1, down 30 apparently at one point.  Final margin was 22.  Legler's comments seem to be wondering how long it'll be before the whole thing completely falls apart.  I mean, we all know the Nets are renowned for their stability and professionalism and demeanor......