Extra-Dimensional Movement Examples

Cloppy Clip

Good stuff, Duke.

I definitely recall Espionage, Justice Inc. and Fantasy Hero.  They all used the same basic engine, but they used different rules. 4e made the change to "all the same rules applied to different games".

I'm not sure I ever even bought 3e...1e, 2e and 3e were basically the same game with a few tweaks - really the RPG model until 3e D&D came along with a brand-new game using some old trappings and names.

Virtually everything in 4e appeared in a 3e or earlier product (although some abilities did not appear in Champions).

But to the extent we want to call 1e, 2e or 3e "Hero Editions", they were a variety of games using some rules in common, some rules that were in some games and differed or were absent in others, and some rules unique to each game.  Which never stopped anyone from using them in other games.  4e was a transition from "games" to "game system" and still saw elements of both.  5e was where the system took over from "games" and raised the barrier to entry markedly.

Lucha Hero, PS238, MHI - sure.  But still very niche products, and almost afterthoughts. Plus, of course, unsupported after initial publication.  Imagine a 6-part Adventure Path for Champions Complete gradually introducing a city and a broader Supers world while taking starting PCs through several months of linked adventures, perhaps with a couple of supplements (setting-specific; not essential to the AP) along the way.  The problem is that creating, delivering and marketing such a game requires some pretty deep pockets.

It is kind of funny: I had all the 3e supplements (pretty much just adventure modules, but the ones that had additional rules in them (like drowning) made it difficult for me to not view them as 'supplements" instead of just modules.

But I put off buying 3e for the longest time!  It is no secret that 2e just sort od hit my personal sweet spot, and because the core nature of the game didn't change- none of the subsystems and mechanics has ever changed significantly save range modifiers and 6e ditching the digured stats and formulae-- I just backported the small bits od newer stuff I wanted (Clairsentience, for example, was just so much cleaner than the kludges we had built to accomplish the same thing ), and ran,with it.i had two players with the perfect bound 3e book, and one with the boxed set, so I had read it several times before i finally sis buy it.

Of course, I had also read (and bought) 5e before I bought 3e as well!   :rofl:

Negation.   

Our klusge for damage negation was built from Champuins III's "new power" called Negation.  It seems to be what eventually became Dispell, but our initial understanding of it was more like Supress, in that we understood it to work by degrees.

Essentially we allowed it as a defense, keyed to a particular SFX, with the limitation that it only affwctwd that power when used against you (in real rukes terms, this would have been either a -0 or a -1/4 at best; we allowed it a -1/2, since most defenses _do_ only apply to you, but there was still the game's underlying tradition the sefenses should be less costly than the attacks they guard against, and you had to add a couple of levels of Reduced End on top of that, so for our thinking the end result was about right- a tad high on price, and still cost a tiny amount of END unless you wantes to add more Red END.  The "only against SFX X" waa an additional -1/8 to -1/2, depwnsing on the SFX chosen, ] since the utiliry of being immune to fire in any situation was deemed to overall be less useful than  being able to Supress any kind of Energy Blast.

When Damage Reduction came along, we dis a similar build with rhat, but it was less popular than Players being able to look at me and say "remember, you can only roll dive dice against me this time!"

:rofl:

Lucha Hero, PS238, MHI - sure.  But still very niche products, and almost afterthoughts. Plus, of course, unsupported after initial publication.  Imagine a 6-part Adventure Path for Champions Complete gradually introducing a city and a broader Supers world while taking starting PCs through several months of linked adventures, perhaps with a couple of supplements

I think that is key: supporting your product.  If I can find the time I want to do another adventure for Western Hero, although it has plenty of support in the main book.

But just look at all the games you've run in the past, all of you.  Each of those different genres and settings can be their own book, and push Hero further.