Book of Nine Swords conversions

Mr. R

A while ago, there was a discussion about making non mages feel special, and I made a comment about the Book of Nine Swords and how you could appropriate some of the ideas from there to use to make your warrior and rogue types feel special.

Well a couple of weeks ago I was cleaning out my closet, and found my copy, and so as an intellectual exercise, I decided to convert some of these ideas.

A couple of Notes if you decide to use them.

Stances 

the idea is that ONLY one stance can be used at a time, so my suggestion is to place them in a MP.  Most come out to about 30 AP.  Yes it is pricy, but some give you a real power boost.  Remember versatility costs extra!

As far as the Maneuvers (Strikes, Counters, Boosts) I would take a page from Killer Shrike, set up a VPP (with a house rule that the total number of real points you can use are three times the max of the Pool)  (Look here for reference  https://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/MagicSystems/vancianPreparedVPP.aspx   ).  You will have to make the -1/2 Lim of only for BoNS techniques.

Also note that I did NOT do all the abilities as some were just … improvements to an earlier ability.  Like Hatchling's Flames later becomes Dragon's Flames then Wyrm's Flames.  Just up the damage and figure the new cost.

So I present the Book of Nine Sword (abridged)

I'll start with the Stances to Desert Wind

10    Stance Fire's Blessing:  Force Field (10 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (15 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only vs Fire; -½)

21    Stance Holocaust Cloak:  Energy Blast 2d6, Personal Immunity (+¼), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +½), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Continuous (+1) (32 Active Points); No Range (-½)

18    Stance Fiery Assault:  Energy Blast 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Continuous (+1) (37 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to add to HTH damage; -1)

14   Rising Phoenix:  Flight 12", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (36 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only to float up to 2 meters above ground; -1 ½)

Fire's Blessing can be made more powerful by adding extra ED, I'd max it at 20 to 25.

Holocaust Cloak (Please no Princess Bride Comments) can be made a RKA.  It is that area of fire that surrounds a person when they are all powered up.

Fiery Assault makes your sword a burning blade (and yes it will add to some of the upcoming maneuvers) and if you want make it a RKA.

Final Note

All of these can be reskinned for other elements / SFX.  Cold and Ice,  Water,  Lightning.  Thus this one set could be the basis for a whole set of elemental styles.

Edited by Mr. R

First set of Maneuvers

10    Strike Blinding Flourish:  Sight Group Flash 3d6, Personal Immunity (+¼), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1) (34 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-½)    [1]

5    Boost Burning Blade:  Energy Blast 3d6, Lingering up to 1 Turn (+½) (22 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 ½), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to add to HTH dam; -1), No Range (-½)    [1 cc]

11    Strike Hatchling's Flame:  Energy Blast 4d6, Area Of Effect (5" Cone; +1) (40 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-½)    [1]

9    Counter Fiery Riposte:  Killing Attack - Ranged 1 ½d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +¼) (31 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-½)    [1]

Blinding Flourish is just what it looks like.  Just be careful not to get your allies in the AE.

The Boost turns your sword into a flaming sword and yes it stacks with the Stance from above, and as always make it a RKA if you want.  And yes, that is 30 AP of effect.  Just remember that these maneuvers are ONE Charge, so use judiciously.

Hatchling's Flame can be up graded, just remember the AP cap you may have, but the book has equivalent to 7d6 and 12d6 versions.  (Yeah this is high power but in ADnD these are gained at 10th and 16th level, so imagine what mages and clerics and druids are pumping out)

The Fiery Riposte is just what it says.  Get rid of the flame aspect and this becomes a special regular attack.  The trigger is being attacked in HTH.  

Next set of maneuvers then onto the next School.  Also note that these are the low level abilities and that there are MORE powerful versions of some of these

19    Strike Death Mark:  Energy Blast 6d6, Personal Immunity (+¼), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (67 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-½)    [1]

15    Strike Fire Snake:  Energy Blast 6d6, Personal Immunity (+¼), Area Of Effect (14" Line; +1) (67 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only vs targets on the ground; -1), No Range (-½)    [1]

19    Counter Leaping Flame:  Teleportation 30", Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; When attacked; +¼) (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to tport to attacker; -1)    [1]

29    Strike Salamander Charge:  (Total: 124 Active Cost, 29 Real Cost) Running +6" (12" total) (12 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2) (Real Cost: 4) plus Energy Blast 10d6, Personal Immunity (+¼), Area Of Effect (24" Line; +1) (112 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only along Run Path; -1), No Range (-½) (Real Cost: 25)    [1]

Death Mark is your basic PBAE ability, and like the Blinding Flourish, be careful who is next to you.

Fire Snake is another AE ability.

Salamander Charge is the classic leaving a fire trail along your wake.  If you think it is TOO powerful, feel free to reduce the damage to 5 or 6d6 dice.  That would reduce the cost to 17 pts.

The one to be wary of is Leaping Flame, but remember that combat port is 15" and it can only be used once!

Next up Devoted Spirit OR watch me heal as I beat on you!

Edited by Mr. R

Devoted Spirit is a school that doesn't add to damage, but rather adds to your durability.  The Online Game Dark Age of Camelot had a class called the Paladin and one of their abilities was a self heal as long as they were in combat.  Played right, they were un-killable.

So, the Stances

11    Stance Iron Guard's Glare:  Negative Combat Skill Levels (-3 to opponent's OCV), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (22 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to penalize opponent who attacks someone other than him; -1)

11    Stance Martial Spirit:  Healing BODY 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1), Selective (+¼) (27 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only if you hit in HTH; -1 ½)

39    Stance  Thicket of Blades:  Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Personal Immunity (+¼), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +½), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Continuous (+1) (97 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only vs those who try and move past ; -1), No Range (-½)

So Iron Guard's Glare is the classic "hit me not the squishy" ability.  As long as you keep this up, your opponent has problems engaging anyone other than you.  

Martial Spirit is the Paladin ability I described above.  The AE selective represents that you can target an ally as well as your self.  If you don't want that, then remove the AE ability (This makes the Stance cost 6 pts).  Also this is a low level version.  Want to up the power, make it 2d6 or 3d6.

Thickets of Blades is "I weave a shell of steel around me" Damage should be based on what they do in HTH, so if you have a 1d6+1 HKA, then this should cap at 1d6+1 RKA.  As it is, this is a high level ability and cost appropriately!

A lot of these abilities are the low level and more powerful versions are available, IF you can stomach the cost!

6    Strike  Crusader's Strike:  Healing BODY 3d6 (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only if you hit in HTH; -1 ½), Self Only (-½)    [1]

7    Strike Foe Hammer:  Armor Piercing (+½) for up to 45 Active Points of HTH attack up to 45 AP (22 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)    [1]

9    Strike Divine Surge:  Deadly Blow:  +4d6 ([limited circumstances]) (28 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)

8    Strike Entangling Blade:  Entangle 5d6, 0 DEF (50 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Defense (-1 ½), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to stop movement; -1), No Range (-½)    [1]

22    Strike Doom Radiant Charge:  (Total: 75 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-½), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Used as part of charge; -½) (Real Cost: 7) plus Force Field (15 PD/15 ED), Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Lasts one turn; +0), Uncontrolled (+½) (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2) (Real Cost: 15)    [1]

Crusader's Strike can add to the stance above.  This can make for a long lasting combat as the warrior seems to heal as he is fighting.  High level versions can be gross, (One version gives a complete HEAL as a result of the strike.)

Foe Hammer and Divine Surge make for nasty finishers.

Entangling Blade is another stay here and fight strike

The Charge is a great opener.

Next up Diamond Mind or "My mind says I hit you here!"

Now the Diamond Mind

8    Stance  Clarity:  +2 with All Combat (16 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only vs one opponent  - 2 CSL vs others; -1)

15    Stance  Pearl of Black doubt:  +6 with DCV (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Starts at +1 then goes up by one for every attack that misses  Resets at end of turn; -1)

30    Stance  Hearing the Air:  (Total: 30 Active Cost, 30 Real Cost) Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (Real Cost: 27) plus +3 PER with Normal Hearing (Real Cost: 3)

Clarity is a simple modification to Hero Combat Skills.  But it does reinforce the idea that this is a dueling style.  Pick one opponent and tear him apart.

I really love Pearl of Black Doubt.  It oozes flavour in the name and the effect.

Hearing the Air is situational, but could have its uses!

So some strikes!

8    Strike  Emerald Razor:  Energy Blast 2d6, No Normal Defense ([Standard]; +1), Does BODY (+1) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-½)    [1]

12    Counter  Perfect Mind:  (Total: 20 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) +10 Mental Defense (12 points total) (10 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to add to break out rolls; -1) (Real Cost: 2) plus +5 with single Characteristic Roll (Real Cost: 10)    [1]

7    Strike  Bounding Assault:  Running +12" (18" total) (24 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only to add to charge; -½)

12    Strike  Mind Attack:  Ego Attack 5d6 (50 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-½), Visible (-¼), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-¼), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Uses regular OCV; -¼)    [1]

Emerald Razor is the low powered version of a set of strikes.  In ADnD the idea was you make a touch attack and do this damage.  This means you ignore any armour and they only get dex modifiers.  So I made it a NND does body.  If you want you can make the attack equivalent to your weapon damage, but up the cost appropriately.

Bounding Assault is a charge bonus.

Mind Attack is an Ego Attack but using your weapon.  Again you can scale it with your weapon damage. 

Last of Diamond Mind maneuvers, next up Iron Heart

10    Moment of Alacrity:  Lightning Reflexes: +20 DEX to act first with All Actions (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)

7    Strike Avalanche of Blades: Autofire (5 shots; +½) for up to 45 Active Points of HtH    Applies Auto fire  All charges must be used as one (22 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)    [1]

9    Counter Rapid Counter:  Killing Attack - Ranged 1 ½d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +¼) (31 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-½)    [1]

5    Strike Insightful Strike:  Deadly Blow:  +2d6 ([limited circumstances] Must make a RSR of Meditation) (14 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)

I made a mistake in Moment of Alacrity, it should have 1 turn  duration.  This adds about 2-3 pts to the cost.  But this is when you absolutely have to go first!

Avalanche of Blades is very straight forward.  This is Inigo Montoya hitting four opponents in less that 6 seconds.

Rapid counter is another riposte.

Insightful Strike.  In ADnD terms you make an attack, but make a Concentration Roll to determine damage.  The low level version is a basic roll, but higher versions make it X2 and X4 damage and the Roll is better, thus upping the damage appropriately.  So my kludge is make a RSR Meditation with no minuses.  Succeed and you up the damage. 

Iron Heart is a school that almost seems ... normal.  This is the school that seems to lack all those mystical flourishes.  No flames, no healing.  This is a straight up (for the most part) hit hard school.

10    Stance Punishing Stance:  Deadly Blow:  +1d6 (any circumstances, any HTH weapon)

6    Stance Dancing Blade:  Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (7 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-¼)

This was the only way I could justify Punishing Blow.  If this is a part of your stance MP, it is not too bad as if you desire to use another stance, this shuts off.

Dancing Blade is a way you can extend your range.  The SFX is you take movements and swings that would cause others to trip themselves up.  

Sorry here is one more to use as a stance.  If you want to make it Invisible (+1/2) then reduce it to 7/7.   As it is it represents that damage reduction because you always deflect with your blade!

30    Supreme Blade Parry:  Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (30 Active Points)

Basic Strikes of the Iron Heart School

9    Strike  Exorcism of Steel:  Negative Combat Skill Levels (-4 to opponent's DCV) (20 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 ¼)    [1 cc]

6    Counter Iron Heat Surge:  Dispel 10d6 (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to dispel negative effects on self; -1), No Range (-½), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Self Only; -½)    [1]

7    Strike Mithril Tornado:  +5 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks (Custom Adder)
        Notes:  Only to offset Sweep penalties one charge

Exorcism of Steel SFX it you strike their weapon so hard that they fall off balance and open themselves to your attacks.

Iron Heart Surge removes any entangles, NCSL, drains, transforms....  Any effect that is something hindering and is not damage.  Note a DoT attack will be removed by this!

Mithril Tornado is the classic three with one blow.  I may have costed it wrong.  I believe Tuala Morn has a similar ability.

Next set of maneuvers to Iron Heart.

13    Strike  Dazing Strike:  Energy Blast 6d6, No Normal Defense ([Standard]; +1) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (No stun; -1), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only to help calculate Stunning; -½)    [1]

13    Counter  Manticore Parry:  Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection (40 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)    [1]

13    Strike  Finishing Blow:  Deadly Blow:  +4d6 (any circumstances, any HTH weapon) (40 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)

17    Strike  Lightning Throw:  Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Area Of Effect (12" Line; +1) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-½)    [1]

7    Strike  Adamantine Hurricane:  Naked Advantage: Autofire (5 shots; +½) for up to 45 Active Points (22 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)    [1]

Dazing strike is a Stunning Blow.  Basically it con stuns the opponent causing all powers to shut off, OCV at 0, DCV at 0.  Target is flat footed. 

Manticore Parry is what it says.

Deadly Blow is just a nasty addition to regular damage.  Note in the BoNS some of the capstone abilities read "Do weapon damage + feats + bonuses + 100 hp"  Yep you read that right.  So assuming a +3 weapon, and a feat that allows extra damage of say + 6, and weapon of 1d8, that is 114 dam (on average).

Adamantine Hurricane is another Autofire ability.

Lightning Throw has the following SFX.  You throw your weapon and it bounces from opponent to opponent until finally bouncing back into your hand.  Think Thor's Hammer, but with any weapon you have on hand.  

Setting Sun will not have a lot of entries.  The reason is the Maneuvers it has are already part of Hero, namely Martial Dodge, Flying Dodge, Martial Throw, Legsweep, etc.

This set is making you and Aikido / Judo Master with a bunch of throws and redirections.   But there are a few gems....

13    Stance  Shifting Defense:  Running +3" (9" total), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Only when missed in HTH; +¾) (13 Active Points)

30    Ghostly Defense:  Missile Deflection (Arrows, Slings, Etc.), Missile Reflection

Shifting Defense allows the user to move to a safer place.  I am not sure about the structure, but I think it could work!

Ghostly Defense is a classic someone attacked me but I positioned myself so that it hits one of his friends.  As written it can also work for HtH, but I am not sure how to cost that!

So not much in Setting Sun as most are equivalent  to things like Martial Dodge (1 Charge) or Martial Block (1 Charge).  Hero is much better in this regard!

6    Strike  Comet Throw:  (Total: 25 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6 (15 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-½) (Real Cost: 4) plus +10 STR (10 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only add to Throw Distance; -1), No Figured Characteristics (-½) (Real Cost: 2)    [1]

13    Strike  Hydra Slaying Strike:  Energy Blast 6d6, No Normal Defense ([Standard]; +1) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (No stun; -1), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only to help calculate Stunning; -½)    [1]

34    Strike  Tornado Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Personal Immunity (+¼), Does x1 ½ Knockback (+½), Area Of Effect (7" Radius; +1), Selective (+¼) (120 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-½)    [1]

Comet Throw is an addition to Martial Throw.  Upper level abilities add 6d6 to 10d6 and a lot of strength to toss people around the area.  

Hydra Slaying Strike is another Stunning Blow type.

Tornado Strike SFX is you running around to each opponent in the AoE and throwing each like a Martial Throw.  Yes it is a fair number of dice, but you only add maybe 1/2 dice due to the advantages.  

Now onto Shadow Hand, or as I like to call it, the Assassin's style.

7    Stance Assassin's Stance:  Deadly Blow:  +1d6 ([limited circumstances])
        Notes:  Only for sneak attacks

12    Stance Dance of the Spider:  Clinging (15 STR)

14    Stance Step of the Dancing Moth:  Flight 12", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (36 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only to float up to 2 meters above ground; -1 ½)

18    Stance Balance on the Sky:  Flight 6", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (18 Active Points)

With the exception of Assassin's Stance, all the stances involve movement to get into strange places.

Dance of the Spider is a wall crawling ability.

Dancing Moth is a glide over the ground, leaving no trace.

Balance is true flight, but not beyond run speed.

Then we have the sneak attack ability.  

So just going by the stances, this looks like an assassin's special!

A few basic strikes

4    Strike  Clinging Shadow's Strike:  Negative Combat Skill Levels (-2 to opponent's DCV) (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 ¼)    [1 cc]

3    Strike  Drain Vitality:  Drain CON 1d6 (10 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)    [1]

3    Strike  Drain Strength:  Drain STR 1d6 (10 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)    [1]

13    Boost Cloak of Deception:  Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe (30 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 ¼)    [1 cc]

The first three basically mess with the opponent by making easier to affect them or harder to affect you!

And if you were doubting whether this is an assassin's style, Cloak of Deception should make it obvious, it is!

Final abilities from Shadow Hand

15    Strike Shadow Garrott:  (Total: 60 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Energy Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Entangle 3d6, 0 DEF (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Defense (-1 ½), Entangle Has 1 BODY (-½), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only to stop movement; -½) (Real Cost: 5)    [1]

16    Strike  Hand of Death:  Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+½) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-½), Cannot Form Barriers (-¼)    [1]

11    Counter  Shadow Stride:  Teleportation 20" (40 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only into Shadow; -½), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-¼)    [1]

Shadow Garrott is forming the shadows into a rope that you then throw at your opponent that does damage (nice) and stoping his movement (even Better).

Hand of Death is a paralysation touch.  

Both the above are the basic abilities and can be upgraded.

Finally Shadow Stride is a classic tport using shadows.  It is almost a meme.

Next up  Stone Dragon

Stone Dragon is a style where you make like a mountain, with deep roots and quiet strength

25    Stance Root of the Mountain:  (Total: 30 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost) Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to prevent unwanted movement; -1) (Real Cost: 5) plus Knockback Resistance -10" (Real Cost: 20)

10    Stance  Giant's Stance:  Deadly Blow:  +1d6 (any circumstances, any HTH weapon)

Root of the Mountain is almost a signature of this style.  You are immovable, and thus a rock to rally around!

Giant's Stance is channeling the giants of the mountain to increase your damage!

The following are all really cheap, but they are also all the low powered versions of later abilities, you know the Lesser Insightful..., the Insightful..., the Greater Insightful.  So....

1    Strike  Charging Minotaur:  Deadly Blow:  +1d6 ([very limited circumstances]) (4 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)
        Notes:  Only with a charge

4    Strike Stone Bones: Force Field (5 PD/5 ED) (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 ¼), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only after hitting in HtH; -½)    [1 cc]

7    Strike  Mountain Hammer:  Armor Piercing (+½) for up to 45 Active Points of Up to 45 pts of attack (22 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)    [1]

5    Strike  Stone Vines:  Entangle 2d6, 1 DEF (15 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)    [1]

3    Strike  Bone Splitter:  Drain CON 1d6 (10 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2)    [1]

You will note that I am using Deadly Blow a lot more.  That is because it does what I need and the limitations are mostly built in.

So Charging Minotaur has only with a charge attack which I feel is very limiting.  Later examples add 2d6 or 4d6, which is a lot of damage.  Also remember tis in the form of a KA.  Switch it to regular dice if you find it appropriate ( like charging with your fists)

Stone Bones in DnD gives you resistance 5 I think.  Lasts one round.  So a Force Field that activates after a HtH hit.  Also there are more powerful versions (Iron Bones and Mithril Bones and finally Adamantine Bones) that add more defense.  That giant with str 40 and a 3d6 HKA seems a lot less dangerous after you activate Mithril Bones ( 15/15 FF)  Depending on what your GM allows this could bring your defenses up to 40 pts.  

Mountain Hammer is your find weakness attack.

Stone Vines exist to hinder opponents.  There are more powerful versions, but I'd make them all with one Def, so anyone could break out of given time.

Bone Splitter is also one which had more dice so a 4d6 Drain is possible.  

Edited by Mr. R

23 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I am completely unfamiliar with the source material. What is this front. 

The Book of Nine Swords

It is a supplement for ADnD 3rd ed to make hth types a bit more than " I roll to hit, if I  hit, roll for damage" rinse repeat.  Thus we get the following

Stances - these give you a set of bonuses active all the time.  You can ONLY have one stance active at a time, so picking the right one for the situation is key.

Maneuvers- three varieties

Strike- adds to damage or adds a condition or gives you a benefit (like one that heals you when you hit an opponent)

Boosts - these give you a boost, an added element.  Example one style has a boost that turns your sword into a flaming sword for one turn.  And yes the boosts and strikes are additive.

Counters- You do this to turn an opponent attack on him.  OR it lets you re-roll a save.

Basically it was to give to the martials something similar to the spells of the mage/cleric classes.

Edited by Mr. R