favorite HTH method

jmurphy

i'm starting to convert my previous fantasy campaigns to hero 5th. what are some of your favorite ways to use our ultimate gamers toolkit to give your characters attack and parry skills with their weapons. the most interesting seems to be based on designing off of the martial arts skill, but also the most time consuming. i know i could buy fantasy hero, but i want to try and stick with the 5th edition black book for rules and all my original rule/source books for the particular details.

I use the martial arts for some particular styles, but its not required - the normal rules for combat can work as easy without it.

edit - the normal rules for combat work for most people. The experts tend to get a weapon style that helps them out, though. (that's what I meant)

I'd recommend buying the Hero Designer software (v2): you can use the basic martial arts material found in Fred to make a home-made martial art in minutes. That's the easiest way I found to do something like that. You can pick maneuvers and such, rename them, and there you have a style. It's made my game prep so much faster (days instead of weeks).

To echo the others;

I would definately use the Martial Arts rules to simulate fighting styles with a definate system of learning. Family-based fighting styles and culture-based styles would be the most common.

Skill levels I use to simulate experience. Raw Talent I simulate with high characteristics.

I also tend to use Special Moves that characters develop, using Powers to simulate them. Examples being Acrobatic, extreme dodges (Desolid-Requires Skill Roll) Blade Breaking maneuvers (Ap or Pen damage shield or trigger) Flurry assaults (Autofire) Whirlwind attacks (Area effect, selective). They can get pretty wild, but with a bit of control, they can be effective without being overbearing. Simply depends on what you want the campaign to feel like...