Need help with Superhero Template

Tymefyre

Hello, 

I am have some problems trying to add powers to a superhero template for 5th Ed. Note: I am using the latest version of HD.

My first problem is getting the template to load. When I create a new Superhero character and use the "Add Extension Template" the added power does not show in the list. However, if I create the new character using "Custom/Non-Standard Rules" and select the template it shows the added power. Is this normal behavior?

My second problem is getting the new power to work the way I would like it too. I am trying to add Regeneration built like it was in 4th Ed. I started by copying the 6th Ed power from Main.6HD, then removed most of the "option" lines. What I can't figure out how to do is get HD to allow the Extra Time limitation. In 4th Regen was 10 CP per 1 Body per Turn, with a -1/4 limit for every step up the time chart. I'm assuming HD will not let me add Extra Time because it is a Persistent power. Is there a way to force that limit into the power or create a specific limit baked into the Regen?

Extension Templates are rather different from standard rules templates. If you're not familiar with them, stick to standard rules templates for now - extend the one you're basing your overall rules off of (e.g. SuperHeroic6E.hdt) and go from there.

Making a custom template doesn't change the general rules of the system. Standard Modifiers are going to continue to follow their rules for any abilities that you add in -- Extra Time explicitly cannot be applied to Regeneration (as stated in the "View Reason" dialog). If you want to have something that mimics Extra Time for your version of Regeneration, you'll need to add it as a specific Modifier defined within the ability definition (in the template)...and you should not re-use the EXTRATIME XMLID for it - use something else.

The template I am trying to build off of is the  Superheroic.hdt with extends="builtIn.Main.hdt" 

If I understand what you are saying, to get an "extra time" like limitation I have to declare a new power specific limit in the power definition. Something like "DELAYED_TIME" and then give it levels of -1/4 each?

1. I'd highly recommend extending the Superheroic template (extends="builtIn.Superheroic.hdt") -- you get all of the built-in rules flags and switches that way.

2. Yes - build a Limitation into the Power itself.

I am running into anew problem adding Regeneration.

If I remove the OPTIONLABEL and the associated options, Regen shows in the powers list, but it will not open. 

For Example if I use the code below, Regen doesn't open.

<REGENERATION DISPLAY="Regeneration" BASECOST="0" LVLCOST="2" LVLVAL="1" MINVAL="1" LEVELSTART="1" WARNSIGN="Yes" DURATION="PERSISTENT" TARGET="SELFONLY" RANGE="SELF" USESEND="No">
        <TYPE>SPECIAL</TYPE>

</REGENERATION>

However, it will open if I use the following: 

<REGENERATION DISPLAY="Regeneration" BASECOST="0" LVLCOST="2" LVLVAL="1" MINVAL="1" LEVELSTART="1" WARNSIGN="Yes" DURATION="PERSISTENT" TARGET="SELFONLY" RANGE="SELF" USESEND="No" OPTIONLABEL="Regeneration Per">
        <TYPE>SPECIAL</TYPE>
        <OPTION XMLID="1TURN" LVLCOST="10" LVLVAL="1" DISPLAY="Turn" />

</REGENERATION>

What I am missing?

Also I cannot seem to add a new power based on FTL. I copied the FTL text, changed the name to SSFLIGHT and it does not appear in the list.

You’re going to need to understand the application and rules templates better if you’re going to try to customize things.

Redefining an existing item is fine…redefining it using the same id/container is going to require adhering to any requirements that the existing id/container may have within the code/rules.

The same will go for the new FTL - it’s all in how you construct it.  If it’s not showing up, you’re not defining it in the proper place or in the proper manner.

So far I have been able to add the Regen, not exactly how I would like, but it gets the job done. Also added a new skill. HD doesn't want to open the dialog box when double-clicking but it will add to the list and open with the edit command. 

The big problem I am having is trying to add Supersonic Flight. So far, what I am doing is a copy/paste of FTL in the Powers container. Then edit a little like so: 

<SSF DISPLAY="Supersonic Flight" STOPSIGN="No" ABBREVIATION="Mach Flight"
            WGABBREVIATION="Mach Travel" DURATION="CONSTANT" TARGET="SELFONLY" RANGE="SELF"
            USESEND="Yes" BASECOST="10" LVLCOST="2" LVLVAL="1" LVLPOWER="2" LEVELSTART="0"
            MINVAL="0">
            <TYPE>MOVEMENT</TYPE>
            <DEFINITION>A character with Supersonic Flight can travel as fast or faster than the speed of sound.</DEFINITION>
        </SSF>

When I launch HD and create a character using the Custom Rules -> Template, Regen is in my powers list but the Supersonic Flight is not. 

image.png.f01bf5be6679793ae48d4c0c2353f6a5.png

At this point I guess my question is: Can I add a new unique power or am I limited to only modifying existing powers?

Thanks

Templates do not and have never worked by simply adding in random containers/tags. You can create an arbitrary number of custom abilities, but only using tags that are recognized and supported by HD (e.g. SKILL, POWER, MODIFIER, etc)

The flight power above is inside the POWER container. I placed it directly beneath the Regen power. I have been trying to follow what is in the HD documentation, but their is no example on creating / modifying a power. 

Speaking of; when I followed the example of adding a characteristic, line for line out of the documentation, I got nothing. "Education" was not added to the list. So I am still experimenting to see what works and why.

Edit to above

I misunderstood what container you were talking about. The Flight is in the POWERS container, but it also needs to be in a POWER container, i.e.

<POWERS>

<POWER ...>

<POWER>

</POWERS>

Now my problem with the power is that the levels are showing as d6, which I assume is the default. Have to find the command that changes it from "xd6" to "Mach [level] "

Regarding Characteristics: pay attention to detail. Most likely, you're placing the new Characteristic in the wrong section of the template (e.g. the character save area which defines initial/default purchases for characters based on that template).

For the display of the new Power, you need to specify how to format things in the DISPLAY field (e.g. DISPLAY="Mach [LVL]"), otherwise HD doesn't have any way of knowing what to do with Levels or what they represent and will go with the default of [LVL]d6.

On the characteristics...Template.java creates an instance of all the characteristics, then checks to see if they're in the template.  6E doesn't have Comeliness;  5E doesn't have OCV, DCV, OMCV, or DMCV as standalones, just the derived values.  It does allow using Custom1, Custom2, etc. for custom characteristics.

For the supersonic flight, it should work.  Loading powers from Main.hdt, which is the basis, is a 2-stage process.  First, all the powers in the template are loaded, using the basic implementation in the Power.java class.  Then, for all the classes with a custom implementation...quite a few...they're checked, one by one.  If they're in the template being loaded, then the custom implementation replaces the bare-bones implementation.  But if you're good with your SS flight using a bare-bones?  It should load.  

Two things I'd try.

#1:  put a SOURCE tag (5th edition) into your SSF XML...that's a trivial copy/paste.  

#2:  check the file trace.log, to see if it's telling you there's a problem trying to build something.

What I have working right now is okay, but I would like to figure out how to get it to look and display like FTL Travel. I do have the SOURCE tag for 5th Edition under the TYPE tag. 

Using DISPLAY="Supersonic Flight [LVL]" in the power definition, I get it to show up as Supersonic Flight 0. 

image.png.8488923ca09744b46206c7989be4604e.png

When buying more levels it changes from 0 to whatever, but the change is showing in the Display dialog box instead of next to the Level buttons like it does when buying levels of FTL Travel. When I do not use the [LVL] tag in DISPLAY, I get [LVL]d6 to show up next to the buttons instead. What I am trying to find is a way to get Mach [LVL] to show next to the level buttons the same way FTL Travel show [LVL] Lightyears/year. So far I have not been able to find a specific command to do so. 

image.png.c6bbb578ff340bd035839dc436ed6812.png

image.png.315c398af6261cb4f2871db1887d623c.png

Unfortunately, FTL has a custom implementation to get it to look that way.  Bring up the FTL, and click through the levels.  Note how that string changes.  That requires specialized conversion logic, it's tweaking both the number of LY per, and the time increment.  You'd need to download the source code (which is not free), create a new power, and get it linked in properly.  It's not what I'd call hard...for this example anyway...but I did Java professionally for 10 or so years, on more complex projects than HD.