What Would Your Character Do? #43

Wormhole

You know of the supervillain Megascourge only by reputation, he was one of the big boys back in the 70s and 80s until his death in 1989. Sourge was notorious not only as a supercriminal, but as a philanderer of epic scale. By the time it was all over, he had sired more bastard offspring then anyone cares to count and contracted a nasty viral infection that ultimately caused his demise.

Megascourge has not left this world without a legacy, however. One of the products of his promiscuity has recently grown to manhood and has seen the first manifestations of his powers- powers exactly like those dear old dad once weilded. With the aid of a private investigator, the kid has recently tracked down some of daddy's lost belongings, including a cashé of Megascourge's spare costumes and other paraphernalia from his criminal career. Shortly after, "Scourge Jr." has appeared in the skies over Campaign City in one of daddy's old costumes. What do you do?

While some powersets lend themselves to villainy more readily than to heorism, all can be used either way. Most of my characters will not judge the son by the father. Maybe he wants to make up for his father's evil?

Since the kid hasnt actually DONE anything yet, it would be wrong to do anything to him. What I can do, being a known hero (or being able to look like one or look like a policeman, or whatever, in one case) is head over there and present him the opportunity to show his colors.

If he attacks, that is a pretty good indicator that he is not gonna be aq good guy...

Husky will approach the new guy and genuinely speak in reverence of his father's promiscuity and just as matter of factly inform him that if he's going to be a Hero he'd love to team up but if he's planning on doing any villainy he'll have to intervene. After changing back into Kenneth, Kenneth will rail at his stupidity as Husky and swear for the 100th time to build an AI with his own personality to advice Husky while in Husky form. After changing into Husky, Husky will throw the AI away thinking it looks tacky and think to himself what a dumb idea it was to build he deosn't need any help with his judgement.

How do I know about all this? I mean, am I somehow tailing him? Has he shown up with all the equipment and I put together the back story? I'll assume I encounter the young Scourge and have figured out his backstory since then.

Uncle Slam would go over the original MegaScourge's record and find anywhere that he might have titanically failed. Then he'd bait the young one into trying to succeed where his father failed. There would be a trap set up involving multiple heroes who would seize him upon his appearance.

Anthem would appeal to his potential for good. And the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree; so she might flirt with him a little (nothing outrageous) if it might influence him toward good.

MAYDAY would get his attention and fly up to meet him in a leisurely pace and a big smile. She likes meeting new people. Introduce herself and try to engage him in conversation. She's curious about who he is and what his plans might be. Is likely to invite him down for an ice cream or lunch.

She'd be interested by his back story and wonder if the other offspring will also develop the same powers, thn suggest the name of a reporter she likes to give interviews to, as a way to get his message and intentions (for good or ill) out to everyone, spin the PR a bit.

And if after all he turns out to have a desire to follow dear old dad, well, she'll try to understand why and talk him into other career ideas, but if that doesnt work she'll keep an eye out for him and be there when he commits his first crime to take him in. But, unless it was heinous its the first offense, he can still go straight but twice is two too often.

SHADOWCROSS would watch him go by, evaluate his skills using the new gear and follow him out of curiousity and a need for diversion. May sneak up on him and play with fire a little more but doesnt care much which side he's on so long as he doesnt mistreat women. If he's like dad, then she would be happy to flirt with him and disappear before anything happens.

SABRE would fly up and hail him, strike up a conversation about their respective armors and be annoyed if hers is not faster/better. Inquire if he built it himself and if he has the capability to maintain or repair it. Ask him his plans in the city and keep an eye on him for awhile.

LINEDRIVE would squint at the sky and nudge his teammate with an elbow. "Hey, new hero in town." then go back to whatever he was doing. Either enjoying a beer or in training for the baseball season (or both). He serves as an outfielder on a minor league team in Florida and has not chosen a hero career. It just kind of happens around him and he can't avoid it.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Marchwarden

Marchwarden: Back home in "New Zealand", fathers traditionally compel their sons to swear irrevocable oaths to carry on the family struggle. Marchwarden would probably assume that this was the case, and treat Junior as an enemy unless there were obvious evidence to the contrary.

I'm torn between being annoyed and copying that character wholescale... :D

Just wanted to

A) Pad

and

B) point out one of the cooler (IMO) PC's I've seen mentioned.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Mayday

Go do a post search on MarchWarden, hes posted some very interesting adventures in the past and needs to do so again. :-)

I know; I read them and liked them. :)

It's a cool concept; 'cept I'm a New Zealander... :o

Guest Worldmaker

The Shield would keep an eye out for the young man, and if he began committing crimes would put him in the hurt locker. If he began fighting crime, The Shield would welcome the new member to the )informal) Brotherhood of Crimefighters.