How would you build a Smart Bomb?

McCoy

Sure is.

As to it being a nuke...

Well, maybe in intensity. But not in radius of effect. 39DC Explosion (straight) doesnt bother anyone more than what, 80 meters away, about? Unless the GM decides to have junk inside the radius get "knocked back" into things outside it....

Originally posted by Outsider

Sure is.

As to it being a nuke...

Well, maybe in intensity. But not in radius of effect. 39DC Explosion (straight) doesnt bother anyone more than what, 80 meters away, about? Unless the GM decides to have junk inside the radius get "knocked back" into things outside it....

You're fairly new here, so you've probably missed some of the rather intense arguments on this board regarding how to simulate a nuke. One school of thought holds that a 12d6 RKA EX is a Nagasaki-class nuke, the other school holds that a nuke is much bigger (25d6 RKA EX or bigger, up to 100d6 RKA EX) I belong to the latter school of thought.

The debate is framed around whether each +1 DC represents twice as much actual damage or twice as much energy. Hero is a bit vague on the topic.

Originally posted by Trebuchet

The debate is framed around whether each +1 DC represents twice as much actual damage or twice as much energy. Hero is a bit vague on the topic.

Well, previous editions of the game showed a doubling at a geometric pace. However, I agree it's a bit more vague now.

Though a 13d6 RKA explosion will probably vaporize a building.

It some ways, it looks to have been built to fill up 350 points. I'd make much cheaper ones.

DI used to have a doubling of explosive mass (or explosive mass equivalancy) add 2d6.

IIRC, 1kg of TNT had a 9d6 explosion.

Working it out, a Hiroshima bomb (call it 16kt TNT equivalent, close enough) would be a 57d6 EB Explosion. Converted to killing that'd be 19d6 RKA.

The radius for -any- blast effect is still only 113 meters, though.

Anyway, if there was an extensive debate about this earlier in the board's history, I'm sure the DI rule was brought up.

Originally posted by Outsider

Anyway, if there was an extensive debate about this earlier in the board's history, I'm sure the DI rule was brought up.

I'm pretty sure as well. Steve Long wrote up a nuke in Adventurer's Club, years ago. It was bought as an area effect with a limitation. Though now, a bit of Megascale would work.

Some fuel-air explosions might be the "real" world model for a high explosive in a smaller area.

Originally posted by lemming

Well, previous editions of the game showed a doubling at a geometric pace. However, I agree it's a bit more vague now.

Though a 13d6 RKA explosion will probably vaporize a building.

Doug (AgentX) and I used to go round and round about this particular topic. I tried to base my position off "real world" effects of nukes; i.e., that a Hiroshima-class nuke could vaporize a Sherman tank at Ground Zero and thus given the DEF and BODY of a Sherman tank in HERO a nuke did at least Xd6 RKA EX damage. Doug argued from game mechanics, including the explosives rules, and concluded each DC is twice as much damage. And in a game whose central basis is comic books, who is to say who's correct? :)

Originally posted by Trebuchet

And in a game whose central basis is comic books, who is to say who's correct? :)

Me!

However it works in your game of course. Which amuses me about some of the round'n'round arguments. Though occasionly something flies out that's worth looking at.

If that flight isn't always on (or something similar) you have a VERY smart bomb that will wait around for the target to show up. Reminds me of Tom Selleck and Gene Simmmons in Runaway, or...

[knock-knock]

"who is it?"

"flowers for Mrs. Ferfmeher."

"You're that awful smart bomb."

"Just a dud, ma'am."

"Well, if that's all..."

[bOOM!]