Tricks, Traps and Puzzles

Guest taxboy4

Guest taxboy4

Hi Guys - I'm continually searching the Net (my imagination ran out long ago) for Tricks, Traps and Puzzles to challenge my Players.

All GM's know how much satisfaction the Players get from besting a riddle or difficult trap.

In fact on my adventure tomorrow, I've set up a room lined with mirrors and with mirrors on the ceiling with a pedastal in the middle of the room with a key on it.

There is no trap but it will drive the Players crazy as they try to prepare for each possibility..paranoia is alive and well..

Anyway has anyone out there got some favourites tricks etc they have used or websites detailing more of he same?

Cheers

Baz

Upon reflection this is the place to mention my Shite Pite.

basically having a sewer system that feeds certain places for growing, since the original concept some tinkering critters have made it their place of defense. on the other side of the quagmire in the bottom of the dungeon is a Kobolds main lair. anyone looking for the lair will find out that it is protected by a stone moat 140 yards long (but only 5 yards wide). if the crossing is attempted without burning incense to the Kobolds statue in the shrine to their god the crossers randomly trigger an attack (buy as a 3d6 Com Drain+ a disease, Trigger, w/ OCV 5) every 10 yards (ie 14 attacks). For True Evil spice with rot grubs, gelatinous creatures, Slimes, Puddings, and Otyoughs at leisure.....

Guest joen00b

Here are the old school books I have laying around SOMEWHERE in my mess of gaming stuff. Grimtooth's Traps! Ya can't buy them here as they are out of print, but if you hit someused Bookstores, maybe even Amazon, you may be able to find one or two.

Great trap and trick ideas. I'll try and relay some inventive ideas later. (OMW out the door to go to work)

Guest joen00b

EUREKA!! I knew Amazon would have them! It looks like the whole collection is there. I'm willing to bet they can be found on Ebay too, but this way, there is no bidding, just buying.

Do you and your players a favor and pick up a few of these, Grimtooth is downright Dastardly!

From some D&D thing somewhere...

Simple Slime Trap

Corridor filled about a foot deep with grimy dirty water. Slime is unseen under the water.

More complicated one

Door locked with complex lock. Beyond door is room with black floor and pedestal. On pedestal is tempting looking box. The floor is actually Grey Ooze. box contains Green Slime and slime resistant key that opens the door.

Corridor with Lurker Above and Trapper in same location.

The totally frictionless floor with spike lined pits on either side.

The item of clothing that is actually alive and slowly drains BODY, CON or DEX.

The spice container that has a powder in it that reacts explosively with fluid.

The jewel encrusted weapon sheath that enchants any weapon placed in it with extreme magnetism or repulsion.

Your simple mallet/hammer/mace of blessing.

Glowing jewels that are actually the eggs of a fire creature.

Jug of endless water that functions by dehydrating nearby animals/people.

Weapon/equipment oiling cloth that causes faster rusting.

Pits filled with Gelatinous Cubes.

I can't take credit for these since I found them on the Web a long time ago (I don't remember where, sorry I can't give the original author credit), but here they are...

SAMPLE TRAPS

TECHNOLOGICAL TRAPS

Concealed Pit (8 Hexes Deep): This trap is simply a deep hole, covered by something (rug, woven grass, trap door) that will not hold any significant weight. Most pit traps have to be reset manually. You can allow computers to reset the trap with a successful Security Systems roll if the trap is part of a high-tech base. Alternately, if the trap was designed by a skilled engineer, it could reset itself. To do so, purchase the Security Systems Skill for the trap. A successful roll resets the trap immediately after use. A failed roll means the trap jammed, and has to be reset manually. Note the base roll for the Skill is 9-. To design a spiked pit simply add an HKA, Linked to the Energy Blast. Note the Limitation Can Be Avoided With Appropriate Movement Powers. This simulates the trap's fixed location on the ground. Any character who can fly, cling to walls, or otherwise not come into contact with the pit will avoid its effects entirely.

Concealed Pit: EB 8d6, physical, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (more than 10 kg mass applied to cover; +1/4) (90 Active Points); IAF Immobile (pit in the floor; -1 1/2), Can Be Avoided With Appropriate Movement Powers (-1/2), Can Be Disabled With Security Systems Skill Roll (-1/2), Real Technology (-1/4) (total cost: 24 points) plus Security Systems 11- (7 Active Points); IAF Immobile (trap door mechanism; -1 1/2), Real Technology (-1/4) (total cost: 3 points). Total Cost: 27 points.

Scythe Blade: Guaranteed to take a little off the top, this trap lashes out across a corridor, dealing damage to unsuspecting passers-by.

Scythe Blade: RKA 2d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (rigged floor stone; +1/4) (67 Active Points); IAF Immobile (scything blade housed in wall; -1 1/2), Can Be Disabled With Security Systems Skill Roll (-1/4), Real Technology (-1/4), No Range (-1/2) (total cost: 19 points) plus Security Systems 14- (13 Active Points); IAF Immobile (blade rotation mechanism; -1 1/2), Real Technology (-1/4) (total cost: 5 points) plus -2 to Security Systems (10 Active Points); IAF Immobile (-1 1/2), Real Technology (-1/4) (total cost: 4 points). Total Cost: 28 points.

POWERED TRAPS

Lightning Glyph: This trap creates a large blast of lightning in all directions. It does not have to be placed on an object or door; it can be placed free-standing in midair, to guard a corridor for instance. Only by muttering the password (designated by the caster) can one pass safely through the glyph. The glyph can only be detected by magical senses, and can be Dispelled, Suppressed, and Drained normally.

Lightning Glyph: EB 10d6, Explosion (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (glyph touched without saying password; +1/4) (112 Active Points); IAF Immobile (invisible glyph; -1 1/2), No Range (-1/2). Total cost: 37 points.

Summoning Glyph: While not as visually impressive as the Lightning Glyph, this trap is terrifying nonetheless. Passing through the glyph summons 8 skeletal warriors to face intruders. Even if the glyph is detected, it is more difficult to dispel than most wards of this nature.

Summoning Glyph: Summon 8 150-point Skeletons, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (glyph touched without saying password; +1/4) (79 Active Points); IAF Immobile (invisible glyph; -1 1/2). (total cost: 32 points) plus Power Defense (10 points); IAF Immobile (invisible glyph; -1 1/2). (total cost: 4 points). Total cost: 36 points.

NATURAL TRAPS

Raging Fire: Dangerous in the extreme, a raging fire consumes all in its path. The smoke from such flames can be incapacitating without appropriate equipment. This is why fire fighters in big cities have good salaries.

Raging Fire: RKA 2d6, Area Of Effect (18" Radius; +11/4), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (put out with water or appropriate chemicals, will burn out when all fuel consumed; +1/2) (127 Active Points); Limited Power (some areas within radius do less damage than others at GM's discretion; -1/2), No Range (-1/2) (total cost: 63 points) plus EB 2d6, NND (defense is appropriate Life Support or holding breath, does BODY once character is unconscious; +1), Area Of Effect (32" Conforming Radius; +21/4), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2), Uncontrolled (put out with water or appropriate chemicals, will fade as fire burns out, wind dissipates effect in 1 Turn; +1/2) (62 Active Points); Limited Power (some areas within radius do less damage than others at GM's discretion; -1/2), Damage Halved With Makeshift Filters (-1/2), Linked (-1/2), No Range (-1/2) (total cost: 21 points). Total cost: 84 points.

Quicksand: Common in swampy areas, these pits are easily mistaken for solid land. Once stuck in one, a character slowly sinks under. Unless the character is rescued or manages to get free (by making successful STR vs. STR contests for each hex), the character faces certain doom.

Quicksand: Telekinesis (30 STR), Area Of Effect (One Hex Plus Surrounding Hexes; +3/4), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (quicksand pit emptied; +1/2) (169 Active Points); Affects Whole Object (-1/4), IAF Immobile (quicksand pit; -1 1/2), No Range (-1/2), Only To Pull Downward (-1/2), Matches Character's STR (-1/2) (total cost: 40 points) plus EB 2d6, NND (defense is appropriate Life Support or holding breath, does BODY once character is unconscious; +1), Area Of Effect (One Hex Plus Surrounding Hexes; +3/4), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2), Uncontrolled (character removed from quicksand or quicksand pit emptied; +1/2) (47 Active Points); IAF Immobile (quicksand pit; -1 1/2), Limited Power (radius limited to Telekinesis radius; -1/4), Linked (-1/2), No Range (-1/2) (total cost: 13 points) plus -3 to PER and Concealment Rolls (15 Active Points); IAF Immobile (quicksand pit; -1 1/2) (total cost: 6 points). Total cost: 59 points.