Natural Obstacles

Guest taxboy4

Guest taxboy4

In my latest session I was once again eminded us GM's cannot underestimate everyday nature as a challenge to our travelling PC's.

On my map on the way to the Magical Wizard Tower (how old sschool is that!!??) I had put a river in the way.

Hadn't really thought too much about it when i prepared the map but as this island had no trees along the banks of the river or in its mountain commencement point there were no logs or sticks for them to make a raft etc.

Also it was the middle of winter and while the river was running shallow it was bedded with slippery stones.

Anyone took about 45 mins of real time for them to figurre out alternatives to get across (they had no rope either) and added up someone falling and losing half their gear before struggling out 200 m down the river...

..now they were soaked, it is middle of winter andexposure started to sink in..

The whole point to this story is that natural obstacles and the weather itself can add very realistic and easy to set up challenges to the group...

Guest taxboy4

They wre shipwrecked on this island - its a prison island so rope, blades and even food is in short supply.

They had to make makeshift torches for exporing a lower level of a ruin cos they had no oil or pitch ...or torches...

..now they are down to two arrows...

I like terrain hazards too. In combat they provide tactical interest, so battles become more than just "I swing/I block/I dodge." Just as importantly they provide an opportunity to put non-combat abilities to good use. Suddenly Clinging, Climbing, Leaping, Survival, Riding, etc. become very valuable, even lifesaving.

-AA

I also like envirnomental effects for flavor

if you step out into a steaming hot jungle - then no post 12 recovery. You tire quickly and just don't recover unless you stop and rest. This obviously greatly reduces travel speed as well as influencing combat.

ice cold air reduces sight and hearing range penalties. The effect is that everything seems closer. You describe something as being only a mile away, and it could be 10 miles away.