The "Machine" class of minds

Blue

I've got to decide how strongly to build some powers of a character. What I can't decide is just how many levels of success you'd have to get in Mind Control with the "Machine" class of minds, to convince a computer to just freeze and do nothing. How many to shut down?

It's hard to judge what a computer "wouldn't mind" doing.

I figure that it gets it's "recovery" roll whenever someone uses their computer skills to try and prod it in the right direction (as well as the normal places--like immediately after the mind control succeeds).

As a rule of thumb if the computer doesn't have an EGO I substitute INT since it generally seems to reflect the complexity of the computer which is otherwise open to command. The big question is do you buil;d computers with Mental defense to repel machine mind control and give a bonus to resist "hacking" rolls or do you give the computer a Mental defense boost if it makes a sucessful computer programming roll (defined as security programs)?

Re: The "Machine" class of minds

Originally posted by Blue

I've got to decide how strongly to build some powers of a character. What I can't decide is just how many levels of success you'd have to get in Mind Control with the "Machine" class of minds, to convince a computer to just freeze and do nothing. How many to shut down?

It's hard to judge what a computer "wouldn't mind" doing.

I figure that it gets it's "recovery" roll whenever someone uses their computer skills to try and prod it in the right direction (as well as the normal places--like immediately after the mind control succeeds).

If the computer's running on Windows, freezing is the baseline state. It really don't want to do anything else. :mad:

Without further input regarding a baseline for how many levels of success I need to convince an electronic device to do simple tasks (like pause or turn off), I think I'll have to decide this based on what the computer is designed for.

I mean, if it's the Air Traffic Control System that is never meant to go down at any time I'll have to assume it absolutely doesn't want to. If it a file server it's likely a level below that. A common PC is probably a level below that. I think you see what I'm getting at.

(Warning: I am NOT a computer genius)

For nonsentient computers, I'd base it on what it was designed to do. For a PC that doesn't really have any particular function that it was made to do; I'd say +0 for something they normally do "run X program," or "turn off," +10 for something it would not normally do, but is not protected against, like "run no programs" or "don't display the mouse," +20 for things it is protected against, but still does sometimes by accident, such as "freeze up," and +30 for something it is made specifically not to do, or override things.