Dispelling field

bushido11

Greetings, Steve. I would like to emulate D&D 3rd edition's Spell Resistance using HERO. What powers would I use?

I was thinking Dispel that could only be used as a reaction to any "magic" powers directed at the character. How would I be able to do that using HERO? I was thinking of applying Damaging Shield with the limitation: Can only be used with Damaging Shield. However, don't you have to make an attack roll for that? How would you handle such a power, Steve?

I dont have D&D 3rd Edition, but does the spell resistance work much the same way that it did in older editions, that is : if the resistant creature has a spell cast on it, there is a certain percentage chance that the spell fails to effect it, or if targetted on the area the creature is in rather than the creature individually, fails to work -on them-?

Damage Shield wouldnt really be the best construction since it is a reactive counter attack deal and does not provide any actual defence against the incoming attack.

Another way to do it would be to make it a continuous uncontrolled 1 Hex Dispell, reasoning that any magical effect that is going to hit the character is going to have to enter his hex first, and thus will, necessarily, hit the Dispell field as it does so. The problem with this approach is that it will be prohibitively expensive if the Dispell is to be big enough to cancel incoming spells of any size.

82 (495) Magic Resistance - Dispell - 30D6 (105 pts effect avg)

________(+2) Effects All "Magic" simultaneously

________(+1/2) AoE - Hex

________(+1) Continuous

________(+1/2) Reduced Endurance - 0 END

________(+1/2) Persistent

________(-1/2) Always On

________(-2) Activation - 8 or less (25% MR)

________(-2) Center on self only*

________(-1/2) Only effects magic that will effect the character. Ie : may not be used offensively, to defend others in close proximity, or to effect spells who's line of travel passes through the characters hex without actually hitting him.

*A normal AoE Continuous Dispell could be used at range, targetted on anything, and the caster, if he wanted to pay the END cost, could set up multiple fields. The "Center on Self Only" limitation covers the loss of all three abilities, simulating an inherent to the creature power.is an offensive power that can be used at range, used to a character with a dispell may cast it at range, target other people/objects

Yet another option would be to simpy buy a load of defences (of all sorts) and limit them to only working against magical effects, and put an activation roll on them. Attacks with a lot of AP/Pen advantages, NNDs, AVLDs, and stopping every last stun on hot rolls might still present problems with this approach, though. And, even with the limitations, it is also pretty pricey.

Another option that I have used would be to use Desolidification as a defense, vs. magic only. This is definitely a stop-sign power, but it does the trick.

Then assign an activation roll to reflect the level of spell resistance.

However, since SR is a level check of the caster vs. the target, you could base the roll off "Requires Skill Roll: Skill vs. Skill" .

For example:

Cost Power END
45 Spell Resistance: Desolidification , Only vs. Magic (Desolid as a Defense; +0), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR Attacker's Magic Skill with a penalty of Activation Roll - 8 Limitation or -8 if no activation roll limitation; -1/2) [Notes: The activation roll represents the increased likelihood of spell penetration, and thus the reduction in effectiveness of spell resistance. An 8- Activation roll means the attacker need only make an unmodified Magic skill roll to succeed, whereas the default (w/ no Activation Roll Lim) requires the mage to take a -8 penalty to his roll.

Mages could buy penalty skill levels to offset this penalty, but considering the cost of the Magic skill is 2/+1, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If you want to make a Talent called Spell Penetration that grants +1 for 1 point, that might be cool, but don't let anyone buy more than 1 or 2 levels of it.

My costs on desolid might be wrong cuz I don't have my book with me and can't remember if there is a special mod for desolid as a defense. I don't think so, but it may be +1. The idea is that as a GM you allow desolid to be used in this way, and since they can't walk through walls and such, they don't have to buy the inverse of "Affects Desolid" for their powers, nor are they truely desolid, so no one needs "Affects Desolid" to attack them.

Desolid, like invisibility or images, is one of those powers that can simulate a lot of things very well, if you allow it to. However, you need to be careful about allowing this as a character acquired power. It isn't inappropriate, but should have set limitations that make it fit the world.

I handle it w/ a Custom Talent called "Spell Resistance".

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/Magic.htm#Spell Resistance

Spells that interact with it take a RSR: Magic Skill Roll vs Spell Resistance Limitation.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/Magic.htm#Spell Resistance Topic