The Dragons Gate -- a Review

Starwolf

Hi all!

I have agreed to review The Dragons Gate, by the gang at Gold Rush Games.

The Dragons Gate is a companion to San Angelo: City of Heroes. It is essentially a "China Town" setting for San Angelo. The book was written with a Supers campaign in mind but it easily adapts itself to other genres, such as a martial arts campaign, or a mystic campaign with an oriental flavor. The supplement comes with Hero System stats by default, but also includes GRG's own Action System, and M&M Superlink (D20) stats in indexes at the back of the book.

The Dragons Gate is a rich miasma of historical detail, supporting cast characters, mystery, and intrigue all wrapped in an aura of oriental mystique. As I perused it's pages I could almost smell the atng of exotic spices hanging in the air from the street vendors and restaurants that are the main tourist atttractions. I could feel the grittiness of the back streets ruled by rival tongs, and rife with gang controlled "violence". I could picture the street walkers and surrepitous drug deals going on around me.

There is enough historical information the a GM can easliy run a western game a la "Kung-Fu" the tv series, a pulp genre game, a martial art game, a street level supers game, or a street level "Cops & Robbers" type game. It also easily tweaked for use in a higher powered 4 color supers game.

The artwork is well done and very appropriate for this type of supplement, adding great atmosphere. The detailed street map is also a plus.

For Hero gamers looking for a rich backdrop this is IMHO a must buy supplement. Gold rush games has a real hit with this one.

Guest Keneton

Although I did buy it and enjoy the read I did not like the characters. I later found out it was written long before The UMA and or Ninja Hero. I really wanted to see fleshed out Chinese masters and only found low powered base rules characters.

I will state here and now that the background is excellent! I have no problem with that and agree with the review on these grounds.

Once again about the characters, they are far too weak to use in superheroic campaigns. They are in fact possibly too weak for most Dark Champios Campaigns. I believe they are about right for heroic level (75+75) adventures in a modern city. I hoped that this would not be the case.

That all said I would still reccomend the book for source material.

:)

• 2 weeks later...