NPC challenge:

lensman

Or both? :)

I would like to see some of the secondary characters in LotR built since nearly everyone can use an Elrond, Faramir, Glorfindil, or Galadriel type character.

Why don't we start with building someone in the vein of Elrond? Elder elf, some magic but tied to his lands, powerful but leary to engage in combat, with some magic but more of a druidic type.

Alright, this is difficult, given that Elrond is a fan favorite.

I tried to preserve th esub-rosa nature of magic, and gave it a more skill flavor rather than straight out powers.

In my concept "magic" exists in it's raw state in nature and those aware can shape it to their will.

Really a hard character to bring alive as Elrond is that hybrid of supernatural Immortal, warrior-King, Wise council.

Forgot to edit the -1 for knowledges into each skill.

Originally posted by Edsel

I'd like to see how you write-up Lan Mandragoran, Warder of Moraine Damodred Aes Sedai. The top warrior of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

I read the first 7 books.

Refresh my memory, was he the guy in charge of training

that during the uprising was defeated by Galad?

Book 3 or 4 , I think.

I'd have to go and re-read the sourrce material before I attempted to make the character. Have to dig up my books

You are thinking of Hammar. Lan is Moiraines warder....Nyn is in love with him and he is arguably the best bladesmaster in all of Randland.

Personally, I think Galad is better but for the time being that is speculation.

Think Aragorn but angsty.

:)

I like Elrond. PS - I was looking for an Elrond like character so I was not going to be a stickler for "nope he has a 16 STR." :) Overall a really good write up. I like the way you worked some of the powers. PS that Presence is the bomb. I would have never thought of that.

"To stand against the shadow so long as iron is hard and stone abides. To defend the Malkieri while one drop of blood remains. To avenge what cannot be defended."

Allegiance: The Light, Moiraine.

Title(s): Lord of the Seven Towers, Lord of the Lakes, uncrowned King of Malkier, Dai'shan, Diademed Battle Lord of Malkier, Aan'allein.

Favorite Saying: Face it on your feet.

Lan was born in 953 NE, the year Malkier was betrayed to the Shadow. He has long hair, greying at the temples held back from his face by a narrow braided leather band - the hadori. Cold blue eyes in a face made of stony planes and angles, weathered but unlined.

Born the heir to the throne of Malkier. When he was an infant and Malkier was falling, his parents placed the sword of the Malkieri kings in his hands, named him Dai'shan, a Diademed Battle Lord of Malkier, and swore the ancient oath of Malkieri kings and queens in his name.

His mother placed a locket around his neck for remembrance and twenty of Malkier's best swordsmen then carried the baby to Fal Moran. Only five reach the city, all wounded. The surviving men then began teaching the child all they knew, learning weapons and the Blight for a childhood.

When he was fifteen, Edeyn made herself his Carneira - first love. At age sixteen he was given the hadori and became a man. He began his one man war against the Shadow that he could not win, with the oath graven on his mind. He has nothing left to defend, only to avenge. He will not raise the golden crane to lead other men to their deaths, but will court death himself without a second thought.

Moiraine, searching for a newly Reborn Dragon, met Lan in Kandor soon after the Aiel War. He managed to throw her into a pond, and she threw a pond onto him. After a battle with the Black Ajah and losing the last of the men that carried him to Shienar, Bukama, he joined her quest and became her Warder. He is the best Warder there is. He has followed Moiraine everywhere, at any cost. He once rode a horse to death and almost himself, carrying Moiraine to Anaiya for Healing.

After a life of nothing but war and death, he has fallen in love with Nynaeve. He did not believe in giving a bride the certainty of widow's black, but married her anyway, in an unusual Sea Folk ceremony.

He has helped Rand, where he could, to face the future and whatever comes standing, not cringing. When the bond with Moiraine was broken, he was compelled to seek out Myrelle, so he travelled to Salidar to see his new Aes Sedai.

Egwene soon put him in charge of Nynaeve's safety in Ebou Dar. But nothing can take away the certainty of his death, now the Aes Sedai he was bonded to has died.

His father was al'Akir and his mother was el'Leanna. His uncle was Lain and his aunt was Breyan. The only other living Malkieri aside from Lan, although no one knows of him, is Isam, Lan's cousin.

Heroic Bladesman

Bladesman

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
15 DEX 15
15 CON 10
12 BODY 4
13 INT 3
14 EGO 8
20 PRE 10
12 COM 1
5 PD 2
3 ED 0
4 SPD 15
8 REC 4
40 END 5
40 STUN 12
7" RUN22" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 96

Cost Power END
8 +4 PER with Sight Group
2 Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees) with Normal Sight
5 Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points)
4 Battlefield experience: Power Defense (8 points); Limited Power Protects only PRE (-1)
5 Lack Of Weakness (-5) for vrs. Analyze
2 Expert Weapon use: +5 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Limited Power Only to Calculate Weapon Min STR (-2)
4 Effient Use: +0 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
10 Veteran experience: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%; Limited Power Only vrs. Critical Hits (-1), 4 Charges (-1)
Powers Cost: 40

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 25 STR to Disarm roll
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 30 STR vs. Grabs
4 Martial Flash: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Flash 4d6
3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR for holding on
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, Weapon +v/5, Target Falls
4 Counterstrike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike, Must Follow Block
Martial Arts Cost: 26

Cost Skill
7 Breakfall 14-
7 Concealment 14-
5 PS: Blade Adept 14-
6 KS: Style: Accoi Illumini 15-
7 Analyze: Combat 14-
7 Teamwork 14-
4 Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Weapon Length with a tight group of attacks [Notes: UMA pg 164]
5 Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Offset Modifiers to Breakfall with a single skill [Notes: UMA: pg 113, Throw Modifiers Table pg. 152]
5 Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. vrs. Wounding Effects with EGO roll [Notes: HERO pg. 276]
12 Penalty Skill Levels: +6 vs. Hit Location modifiers with a tight group of attacks [Notes: HERO pg. 276]
10 Defense Maneuver I-IV
40 +8 with HTH Combat
3 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Off Hand
Skills Cost: 117

Cost Talent
3 Environmental Movement (no penalties in cluttered / broken Terrain)
18 Combat Sense 15-
Talents Cost: 21

Total Character Cost: 300

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 100

Total Experience Available: 50

Experience Unspent: 0

Really hard to fit all the campaign specific skills , but this is a very experienced Bladesman I would have in my campaigns.

Not ready for a wild Martial Arts campaign like Crouching Tiger...

And he is a just a Bladesman, not sword and sheild guy or Last man standing Barbarian, nor swashbuckler or Cloak fighter.

Cyric Fallowspaik

Player:

Val Char Cost
8 STR -2
9 DEX -3
8 CON -4
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
11 EGO 2
10 PRE 0
10 COM 0
2 PD 0
2 ED 0
2 SPD 1
4 REC 0
16 END 0
15 STUN -3
5" RUN-21" SWIM-11 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: -9

Cost Skill
4 PS: Sage Councilior 13-
6 Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Time chart penalty with All PRE skills [Notes: HERO pg. 28, Skill modifiers, the Time Chart]
5 Cramming
3 Acting 11-
3 Bribery 11-
3 Bureaucratics 11-
3 Conversation 11-
3 High Society 11-
3 Persuasion 11-
20 +4 with a group of similar Skills
3 Disguise 12-
3 Interrogation 11-
3 Mimicry 12-
3 Streetwise 11-
7 Sleight Of Hand 13-
3 Trading 11-
2 KS: Trade: Textiles 11-
2 KS: Trade: Luxuries (combs, perfumes, mirrors) 11-
1 Combat Piloting 8-
2 Navigation (Rivers, Swamp) 8-
3 Eavesdropping 12-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Lockpicking 11-
3 Cryptography 12-
2 Forgery (Papers) 12-
3 Criminology 12-
4 KS: Crime: Conspiracy 13-
4 KS: Crime: Blackmail 13-
4 KS: Crime: Extortion 13-
4 KS: Crime: Murder 13-
2 WF: Daggers, Thrown Knives, Darts
Skills Cost: 120

Cost Perk
1 Contact: Livery boys 8-
1 Contact: Kitchen Staff 8-
1 Contact: Atmory Apprentices 8-
1 Contact: Scribe Novices 8-
1 Contact: Peasant Levy 8-
1 Contact: Local Constables 8-
1 Contact: Local Smugglers 8-
1 Contact: Dock / Quay Longshoreman 8-
3 Reputation: A man with friends in low places (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +3/+3d6
Perks Cost: 11

Cost Talent
3 Resistance (3 points) vrs. Conversation
Talents Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 125

Base Points: 100

Experience Required: 25

Total Experience Available: 0

Nibbler

Aiden

Player:

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
11 DEX 3
10 CON 0
10 BODY 0
8 INT -2
8 EGO -4
8 PRE -2
16 COM 3
2 PD 0
2 ED 0
2 SPD 0
10 REC 12
40 END 10
20 STUN 0
7" RUN21" SWIM-12" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 21

Cost Power END
2 LS (Eating Can digest raw/ rotting foods)
5 Mind Link , One Specific Mind: Evil things, Any distance; Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1)
Powers Cost: 7

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Ranged Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Disarm, 25 STR to Disarm
Martial Arts Cost: 4

Cost Skill
3 Acrobatics 11-
3 Climbing 11-
3 Riding 11-
9 +3 Acro / Climb / Riding
3 Contortionist 11-
7 Stealth 13-
3 Shadowing 11-
2 PS: Pickpocket 11-
2 CK: Urchin alleys & hidey-holes 11-
3 Analyze: Wealth 11-
1 KS: Crime: Larceny 8-
1 Sleight Of Hand 8-
1 PS: Cook 8-
1 PS: Butcher 8-
4 KS: Rat preparation 13-
3 Acting 11-
3 Streetwise 11-
1 WF: Slings
8 +4 Slings
9 Penalty Skill Levels: +6 vs. offset Size modifiers with Slings
Skills Cost: 70

Cost Talent
18 Shapechanging ([one pre-defined 300-point form] )
5 Rapid Healing
Talents Cost: 23

Total Character Cost: 125

Base Points: 100

Experience Required: 25

Total Experience Available: 0