Type S Scout Courier Conversion

shadowcat1313

Thoughts

I finally had a chance to look this over tonight. Keep in mind that I don't know the base levels for your game, so some of this may be a bit off.

1) Beam laser: 8d6 seems a bit high. The couriers are supposed to be 'lightly armed.' Also, to use TUV and SH examples, they (and the missile) can't shoot at targets closer than 1km. Have you thought about building them as multipowers like SH/TUV?

2) Sandcaster: Like the idea of damage reduction in charges. Keeps the flavor from Trav. I don't know though about the PD damage reduction though. But its been a while since I played, so I may be missing something.

3) Jump Drive: I would up the extra time. As I recall, you spent a week in jump space, so the extra time lim on teleport should be a week, not 1 hour. I would do the recoverable charge like a fuel charge instead, with easily replacable fuel - add to the side effect (misjump) roll for using low quality hydrogen fuel.

Also, if you have the 1"=1ly megascale, it should only be 2" not 6", since each jump 1 carried you 1 parsec. A quibble would also be to change the wording from LY to Parsec (even though the lim is the same).

4) I don't think you need the change env. for lights and stuff. I think thats a byproduct of the life support; but I'd have to read thru TUV again. Its not a bad write up, I just don't think you need it.

Thats about it for now. I'll look over the other ship later tonight.

Aroooo

Yeah, now you get into the whole 'Hero damage does not scale well' debate, but we won't start that here :)

If you're going to use 8d6 as sort of a base for 'light' weapons, then you need to up the DEF a bit, or at least buy more DEF as a power and give it the Ablative limitation.

Aroooo

as far as base levels and damage, thats something I wasnt sure how to go about handling as far as armor and defenses

In most versions of traveller, you have a small amount of hull armor just to keep most small debris from whacking a big hole

and thats not counting advanced hull materials etc...

You have a definite point about the low armor, but traveller has never had shields beyond dampers, meson screens and sandcasters, so a standard beam laser will make a big hole in most unarmored starships. I dont remember what TL you get thermal superconducting armor at.... that would go a long way towards cutting the damage down, as do sandcasters

Originally posted by shadowcat1313

actually the 250mgw Beam Laser is the "Standard" ships laser

so its the medium

depending on which version of Traveller you use, there are lasers ranging from 37 megawatts to 1.2 giggawatts

and thats not counting laser bays or spinal mounts

Like I said, its been a while since I played Trav. in any of its variants. I was just going on memory. Making the assumtion that you're right about the scout laser being 'medium,' 8d6 is not too bad. Plus the sand will help a lot with the resistance.

One thing that came to mind on the turret I don't remember. Can they fire each rail at the same time? Or were they limited to only firing one rail, or type of weapon, at one time?

Aroooo