A Necromancer's Forcefield

Eclectic Wave

I'm working on a adventure that has several different undead being run by a Necromancer. The most powerful undead are mummies who are decked out with full armor (why, because the undead never get tired wearing it, haha). To offset this I had come up with a set of embalmer's daggers that had penetration so the none uber-fighter types could have a attack that would get some damage by the armor.

The problem I suddenly discovered was when I prepared the final battle phase when they face the Necormancer, and relized that I had designed him with Forcewalls as his major defense. Forcewalls that can be taken down now in one shot by the Embalmer daggers with penetration. I really didn't want to do something like adding "hardend" to the forcewall, that seemed rather heavy handed, and besides, the Necromancer would really have any need to. I was trying to think of a way around the problem, and suddenly came up with this.

Forcefield vs living matter only. The undead can pass through, rocks and arrows can pass through, swords can pass through, but living matter cannot. So now the daggers cannot do any damage to forcewall, even with penetration, because the forcewall doesn't stop the dagger, only the hand (and body) of the person welding the dagger.

Of course this means range attacks can get though, so how to stop those? And then I thought make the forcewall opaque.

But how? Unless I've missed something (which is quite possible) , there isn't any option under Forcewalls to do that. Add light illusions to the spell? Or is it just a special effect?

Thoughts anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Youve encountered the problem that Force Walls dont really make good walls due to their collapse effect.

You have a few different options; if the Wall doesnt move, then Entangle as a Barrier is probably the best option, but not very cheap points-wise for a big enough effect.

If you want to spend a Digital HERO Credits however you could check out DH 11, which has a Heroglyph article by Steve Long discussing optional rules for self-setting Triggers. You could apply a Self-setting Trigger to a FW to make it come back up after its been collapsed. Hideously expensive points wise, but there you go.

You could also do a strange build with AoE Radius No Range Telekinesis bought Uncontrolled, Only To Push Things Away, perhaps with Physical Manifestation for the "Wall" aspect. An odd power construct, but basically anyone entering the AoE would be pushed out as it is a Uncontrolled and Constant AoE. With enough STR in the TK, most things wont be able to approach you. Wouldnt stop a Fireball or similar things which you cant really apply STR to, but a minor quibble. Im not sure how legal this is w/o hitting the rulebook (dont have one handy), but its something to look into anyway.

Originally posted by Demonsong

Why not make the penetrating effect of the daggers a separate power from the normal damage of the daggers and add a -1/2 limitation only vs. undead. Then the daggers would do normal damage to every thing except undead, who they will be penetrating against.

I dont think the problem is specifically w/ the Daggers, so much as the problem is that Force Wall collapses too easily when hit by any penetrating attack, regardless of source.

Personally, I make practically all FW Hardened de riguer, but if the original poster doesnt want to do that for some reason {shrugs} theyll need to consider other possibilities.

Personally, I prefer Entangle Barriers as walls if they dont move, but generally try to provide both options for players to choose from. Such as:

Wall of Force