Blazing Away Questions

CaptainVictory

I've got a question about Blazing Away. Is the intent that the character performing the maneuver declare how many shots (s)he is taking before starting the attack rolls? Or do you get to roll until you either hit or run out of END?

Also, I assume that you can only hit the target once using the Blaze Away maneuver? Or can you get a hit, and keep rolling to see if you get another before you run out of END or charges? I'm confused because of the wording on Autofire attacks being used to Blaze Away:

"An Autofire attack may be used to Blaze Away, but ... can only hit with one attack out of each "burst" fired"

You can hit multiple times if you roll multiple 3's. The wording about only hitting once per "burst" of Autofire is just logical. Since you make only one Attack Roll when you attack with an Autofire burst, and since the first shot of the burst only hits on a 3 (because of the Blazing Away), and since the remaining shots in the burst only hit if you exceed the roll you needed to get on the Attack Roll, of course the remaining shots all miss; you needed to roll a 3 on the Attack Roll, so logically you can't do better than that and have any additional shots hit. If you fired another Autofire burst, then 1 shot out of that burst could hit, etc.

Now, whether you have to declare the number of shots you'll use ahead of time, or whether you can make them one-by-one and see if each one hits before deciding whether to shoot another one, is not clear. You should post that question for Steve in the 5th Ed. Questions section. (My hunch is that you will have to declare them all up front, but I've been wrong before. ;) )

I don't like Blazing Away either. If your enemy starts blazing away on you, you can stand right in front of him and stay perfectly still (take a recovery while you're at it!), and chance are he won't hit you. If he makes 216 shots he'll probably hit you once! I think this is what the stormtoopers from Satr Wars were doing when R2D2 and C3P0 casually walked across the hallway though the hail of blaster fire.

It's something to let villains do when you want the heroes to get away.