Misc Magic for my Game.

Eosin

This is my version of some extra strength healing via mystical herbalism. This is a leafy substance that promotes the repair of damaged tissue. It may be applied to a single wound [track each wound seperatly]

Cristine Press: +15 REC, only to heal body (-1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Week (+1/2), Usable By Others (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Requires A Healing Skill Roll (-1/2), Very Difficult to obtain [Local Knowlede -4 to find in forested areas, prep must be used within 48 hours of harvest, and only blooms during spring and summer ](-1/2), Extra Time One Minute, Only to Activate (-3/4), Gestures (-1/4) Concentration 0 DCV, during activation (-1/2), OIF (-1/2),

COST: 8 points

MONEY: 500 guilders

Notes: The Cristine Press is a bandage that may be used on open wounds. It may only affect a single wound and only for a week, then the dressing should be changed.

More healing goodness......This time the not so kind variety.

Those who traffic in spirits and the dead are less choosy about how their discomforts are mended. Few among these foul men are willing to suffer what others may bear in their stead. This is a short ritual that involves drawing the wounds to be healed on the intended victim. Many among the gravediggers mock this spell since it is limitied in how much and how often it may be of use.

Bearing the Burden: Transfer 4d6 (Body to Body), Delayed Return Rate (points return as wounds healed by victims REC) (+1 1/4) (135 Active Points); Extra Phase (-3/4), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), Focus - OIF ritual trapings (-1), Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Requires Incantations throughout (-1/2), Requires A Necromancy Skill Roll (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Concentration 1/2 DCV (-1/2)

COST: 26 Points

Necromancy Scool = Real Cost/5 = 5 Real Points

Notes: The necromancer would need to keep track of healing rates, since this is not an infintely stackable power. They may only have borrowed 12 Body of wounds at any given time.

Last but not least is the Order of Apathos. The Order/Guild may command high prices, even quests involving great risks but few would gainsay them once they had seen a Major Incantation. Those who stood at the brinkof death have been known to rise hale and whole before nightfall. The ritual is not without its costs, the Healer must be rested and a centered else the ritual could leach away their strength.

Order of Apathos - Major Incantation: Simplified Healing 10d6 (max. Healed BODY 20, STUN 60), Requires A Healing Skill Roll (100 Active Points); Extra Time 1 Minute (-1 1/2), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), Gradual Effect 6 Hours (-1 1/2), Increased Endurance Cost 4x END (-1 1/2), Concentration 1/2 DCV, Must Concentrate throughout use (-3/4), Character is totally unaware of nearby events (-1/4), Others Only (-1/2), Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Requires Incantations throughout (-1/2), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles -1/4)

Real Cost: 12

Order of Apathos Cost = Real cost / 2 = 6 Points.

Monitary Cost: 20,000 Guilders

There are far lesser versions of this spell:

The Healing Incantation [6d6], Monitary Cost = 5,000

Minor Incantation [3d6], Monitary Cost = 1,000

Now, I just need to detail the optional rules the fantasy game will be using and get some feed back on these constructs. :)

I'll give you some proper feedback on them when I get back to working on spells, but keep 'em coming, Eosin, they're looking good.

Personally, I'd prefer to use a Multi-Power Pool instead of dividing the cost by 5.

Be interesting to compare the healing spells to the damaging spells to get a sense of the proportions.

Originally posted by Hierax

Personally, I'd prefer to use a Multi-Power Pool instead of dividing the cost by 5.

Be interesting to compare the healing spells to the damaging spells to get a sense of the proportions.

The are different styles of "healing" that can be employed in the game not styles possed by one person. Additionaly, I consider the "Bearing the Burden" to be a routine and common spell among Necromancers. That implies that all my necromanncers would need 135 point reserves on their MPP or VPP to fit a routine spell in......that is alot of horsepower in the MPP for a trivial spell.

I also use spells like my corruption stuff....100+ Active.....I like lots of advantaged and disadvantaged powers and that tends to raise the bar on the reserve considerably, this has the effect of pricing magic use out of the PCs range. You might also notice (and when the whole system is done it will be apparent) that I charge different types of mages a different real point divisor. This steers PCs away from stuff that I want NPC but does not forbid it from happening.

PS on attack.....I use the Grimiore for most of my stuff. I will add some of my own spells but by and large I will be using the Grimoire (Barring the necromancers 8d6 NND of sudden death).

:D

Re: Misc Magic for my Game.

Originally posted by Eosin

This is my version of some extra strength healing via mystical herbalism. This is a leafy substance that promotes the repair of damaged tissue. It may be applied to a single wound [track each wound seperatly]

Cristine Press: +15 REC, only to heal body (-1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Week (+1/2), Usable By Others (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Requires A Healing Skill Roll (-1/2), Very Difficult to obtain [Local Knowlede -4 to find in forested areas, prep must be used within 48 hours of harvest, and only blooms during spring and summer ](-1/2), Extra Time One Minute, Only to Activate (-3/4), Gestures (-1/4) Concentration 0 DCV, during activation (-1/2), OIF (-1/2),

COST: 8 points

MONEY: 500 guilders

Notes: The Cristine Press is a bandage that may be used on open wounds. It may only affect a single wound and only for a week, then the dressing should be changed.

I think this spell might qualify for the Physical Manifestation limitation. Physical Manifestion is this new -1/4 limitation in USPD that means a power isn't exactly a focus but has a physical presence which can be attacked while it's on, like a dressing.

Originally posted by Edsel

So this means that PS: Artist has yet another handy benefit.:D

That all depends on the type of medium the Artist is using.....:cool:

If it is done in pencil - Absolutely no good, it smudges, smears and fades too quickly.

If however it is done with with inks - Very good, doesn't smear (after the ink dries) and resists fading (depends on source of lighting).

Only one drawback for the ink, it's side-effect is blood poisoning.:rolleyes: OOOoooooops.

Kazren the Greater Troll

Player: NPC Monster

Val Char Cost
33 STR 23
18 DEX 24
28 CON 36
21 BODY 22
8 INT -2
14 EGO 8
30 PRE 20
8 COM -1
12 PD 5
8 ED 2
4 SPD 12
30 REC 34
60 END 2
60 STUN 8
9" RUN62" SWIM06 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 199

Cost Power END
5 Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (6 PD/4 ED)
12 Resistant to Magic: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (-1 1/2)
12 Resistant to Magic: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (-1 1/2)
5 Lack Of Weakness: Just plain tough (-5) for Resistant Defenses
5 Power Defense: Divine Resistance to Mystical Transforms (5 points)
11 Tracking Scent: Enhanced Perception (+3 to PER Rolls for Single Sense Group; Discriminatory)
1 Efficient Metabolism: Life Support , Custom Adder, Eating: Character only has to eat Twice per week, Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 16 hours per week
1 Thin Air Adapted Lungs: Life Support , Extended Breathing
5 Disease Resistant: Life Support , Custom Adder, Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents (19 Active Points); 50% Immunity from disease, i.e., Reduced Effect by 50% (-3)
5 Poison Resistant: Life Support , Custom Adder, Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents (19 Active Points); 50% Immunity Poisons, i.e., Reduced Effect by 50% (-3)
1 Pressure Resistant: Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum (3 Active Points); 25% Immunity, Only 75% Effect From, i.e., Reduced Effect by 1/4 (-3)
1 Temperature Resistant: Life Support , Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat (4 Active Points); 25% Immunity, Only 75% Effect From, i.e., Reduced Effect by 1/4 (-3)
13 Punishing Blows: Hand-To-Hand Attack: Punishing Blows +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 2
Powers Cost: 77

Cost Skill
2 PS: Warrior (Everyman Skill) (Custom Adder) 13-
3 AK: Craghorns (INT-based) 11-
1 AK: Eastern Middea (INT-based) 8-
3 KS: Trollkin Custom (INT-based) 11-
0 Acting 8-
3 Climbing 13-
3 Concealment 11-
4 +4 SL: Only in natural envrionment
0 Conversation 8-
0 Deduction 8-
0 Paramedics (Healing) 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
3 Shadowing 11-
3 Stealth 13-
4 +4 SL: Only in natural envrionment
1 Teamwork 8-
7 Tracking 13-
3 Language: Old Kratian (completely fluent)
2 Language: Common (Kratian) (fluent conversation)
1 Language: Arian (basic conversation)
4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
10 CSL: +2 All OCV
Skills Cost: 54

Cost Perk
4 Contact: Hagborn (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: very useful Skills or resources) 8-
9 REP: Manslaying, unstopable, killing machine (A large group; 14-) +3/+3d6
2 Money: Loot from bodies: Well Off
Perks Cost: 15

Cost Talent
25 Danger Sense: Mother's Advice (Area: General Area, Intuitional, Sensitivity: Out of Combat) 11-
3 Lightsleep
Talents Cost: 28

Cost Equipment END
0 Sword: The Black Iron: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand - 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Limited Power Strength Min: 15 (+0), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4).

Total Character Cost: 391

Val Disadvantages
15 Distinctive Features - Greater Troll: Dark, brutish, hulking creature of leathery flesh. Vaguely humanish . (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
10 Enraged: If he does not get what he wants, he tends to resort to violence (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 14-
20 Hunted: Troll Hunters 11- (Less Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; Custom Adder)
5 Psychological Limitation: Selfish - tend to do whatever they have to do to get what they want (Uncommon; Moderate)
5 Physical Limitation: Achromatopsia (Partial Cone Colorblindness, Can only distinguish Bright Garish Colors and Many Shades of Grey, hard to see fine details) and Photophobia (slight discomfort in bright light, so prefer dim light) (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY DM Secret (Uncommon)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN DM Secret (Uncommon)

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 241

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

I will be using the Trollkin as my "humanoid menace." The origin is a little convoluted but to sum it up Trolls are the offspring of Hags that seduce men. Some trolls in turn also mate with Hags or with Humans....This gives me several varieties of troll for my game world. I have basically thought up 5 varieties at this point but will likely add a few as needed.

The Greater Troll has more than 50% Hag blood.

The Black Trolls are 25-50% Hag Blooded but are also warped by necromantic magic. These are the rarest trolls and the most dangerous.

Troll - Roughly between a hill giant and an Orge

Lesser Troll - About Orge strength

Trollkin - about bugbear strength.

Trollkin are the most common accounting for more than 60% of all trolls. Little is known of the Hags or the leaders of the Trolls who are definately female and called Hagborn or Tribemothers.

Critiques welcome....This is an individual Greater Troll not the "racial standard." The Greater Trolls might be less or more powerful than this fella but you should get a good gauge of their power by his write up. The Vulnerability is also my little secret.

Thanks to Hierax for sharing his write-ups. I borrowed liberally from them.

Just to make Eddie feel better

Here are the most common type of Trollkin in the game. Much less fearsome than the big ol nasty Greater Troll.

Trollkin or Grey Troll

Player: NPC Monster Race

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
11 DEX 3
18 CON 16
13 BODY 6
8 INT -2
8 EGO -4
13 PRE 3
8 COM -1
5 PD 2
5 ED 1
3 SPD 9
16 REC 18
37 END 1
30 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 57

Cost Power END
2 Thick Hide: Damage Resistance (2 PD/2 ED)
4 Darkvision: Enhanced Perception (+2 to PER Rolls for All Sense Groups) (6 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Counteract Darkness Modifiers (-1/2)
3 Scent: Enhanced Perception (+1 to PER Rolls for All Sense Groups)
2 Disease Resistant: Life Support , Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents (10 Active Points); 25% Immunity, Only 75% Effect From, i.e., Reduced Effect by 1/4 (-3)
2 Poison Resistant: Life Support , Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents (10 Active Points); 25% Immunity, Only 75% Effect From, i.e., Reduced Effect by 1/4 (-3)
1 Temperature Resistant: Life Support , Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat (4 Active Points); 25% Immunity, Only 75% Effect From, i.e., Reduced Effect by 1/4 (-3)
12 Axe: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 +1 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Str Min 13(-1/4)
7 Throwing Axe: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Str Min 10 (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 33

Cost Skill
2 PS: Warrior 11-
0 KS: Cooking Humans 8-
0 AK: Region 8-
3 Climbing 11-
3 Concealment 11-
0 Shadowing 8-
3 Stealth 11-
2 Survival 11-
1 Teamwork 8-
1 Tracking 8-
3 Language: Old Kratian (completely fluent)
1 Language: Arian (basic conversation)
3 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Thrown Knives, Axes, and Darts, Thrown Rocks
8 +1 with All Combat
5 +1 with HTH Combat
Skills Cost: 35

Total Character Cost: 125

Val Disadvantages
15 Trollkin - Grey Troll: Brutish subhuman looking humanoid (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
10 Psychological Limitation: Selfish - tend to do whatever they have to do to get what they want (Common; Moderate)
15 Reputation: Trollkin 14-
0 Rivalry: Professional (Anyone who wants what they want; Rival is Less Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x Effect GM secret (Uncommon; Custom Adder)

Disadvantage Points: 50

Hierax did the majority of the work for this....I just tailored it to my world.

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 0

Ok, I have a second to discuss "monster" thoughts.

The basic superover simplieifed version of stuff is that a group of characters that are in essence angels or mia fell from grace. At the time they fell they were mating with men - the half men who fell with them became mosterous types and the ones who did not fall became elves/elvish types.

Humaniods are reduced to one core class - The Trow or Evil Spirits. Boogie men.

Undead are similarly reduced into two classes - The Ghul (corpreal flesh eating undead) and the Wight (Incorpreal undead).

Demons are simply some of the more powerful spirits of the fallen angels but they follow the mightiest of the Fallen - Dheymos, the name Demon is a derivitive of Dheymos.

In otherwords, I went back to source and started a family tree of evil critters so that at least in my mind it makes sence where all of them come from. All of this started with a comment of yours, Eddie. The comment was....."I hate it when people feel the need to make up creatures that are Orcs but then call them something else. Why don't they just call them an orc." So, I set about trying to find a "spin" on the original names so that these became my "Randy's Trolls" or "Randy's Demons." New and Original, but also the same.

Hopefully, I can get some more of these critters out over the next few weeks and we can see how well or poorly I have done but I rather like what you spurred me to design. :)

I also draw on huge amounts of Celtic, Welch, Norse, and English lore for this region since it is anaglous to England 900-1100 AD. So much of my stuff is bumps into Tolkien....Angamar was a hard one to wok around...It should come out Angmar so I worked on naming conventions of the trolls and invented a little.

For comparison against the Trollkin

Middean Guardsman

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
11 DEX 3
13 CON 6
10 BODY 0
10 INT 0
11 EGO 2
13 PRE 3
10 COM 0
4 PD 1
4 ED 1
3 SPD 9
6 REC 0
26 END 0
24 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM02 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 28

Cost Skill
0 PS: Soldier (Everyman Skill) 11-
2 KS: Middean Law 11-
2 KS: Heraldry 11-
1 KS: Nobility 8-
3 AK: Local Area 12-
1 Bribery 8-
1 Bureaucratics 8-
0 Climbing 8-
0 Concealment 8-
0 Conversation 8-
0 Deduction 8-
1 Fast Draw 8-
1 Interrogation 8-
1 Lipreading 8-
1 Oratory 8-
0 Paramedics 8-
3 Riding 11-
1 Security Systems 8-
1 Shadowing 8-
1 Stealth 8-
3 Streetwise 12-
0 Survival 8-
1 Tactics 8-
5 Teamwork 12-
1 Tracking 8-
1 TF: Carts & Carriages, Equines
4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
8 +1 with All Combat
4 +2 with any single attack
Skills Cost: 47

Cost Perk
1 Contact: Soldier Buddy: Basic 8- Contact
2 Law Enforcement: Local Police Powers
1 REP: Middean Guard (A medium-sized group; 8-) +1/+1d6
Perks Cost: 4

Cost Equipment END
11 Broad Sword: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 +1 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 6-14 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
11 Throwing Knife: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 +1 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum 1-5 (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4)
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.

Total Character Cost: 79

Val Disadvantages
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima
10 Hunted: Local Nobility 8- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
5 DF: Livery: (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Psychological Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Common; Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation: Varies (Uncommon; Strong)

Disadvantage Points: 45

Base Points: 25

Experience Required: 9

In another thread on the Ennwrathi I wrote up the intro to a Ghul attack.....Now I have the Ghul.

Jhoren looked into the great hall. Bodies lie broken amid the furniture, bodies of his friends. Nervously he wiped the sweat from his hands. The creature was down here somewhere. The warrior chucked when he had first heard tale of the "Malagant." He had thrown the sell sword from his great hall, immediately taking command of a scouting party to find this wild animal that plagued the small folk.

Now, he was hunted in his own keep by some inhuman beast.

Hearing a noise he moved toward the kitchen. A small evil, looking man peered towards him from over the savaged body of one of the cooks. Jhoren blinked trying to make sense of what he saw. For a moment he could have sworn that black threads of smoke lifted the cooks body into the air. He had assumed that a beast had done the killing because of the size of the bite marks suffered by the victims but looking into the gaping maw of the man-creature that stood before him a terrible dread overcame him, the legends were true.

His sword flashed towards the creature, nearly cleaving its head from its body. The creature faltered, then lunged grabbing Jhoren's head. A terrible coldness penetrated him. It penetrated his spirit, the black smoke. the black smoke.

Hours later Jhoren stood from where he had fallen. Some of the others had already risen. There were so many of them and they needed food. Jhoren licked his lips and summoned his men to him. They would raid Akin's Thorpe close to dawn while the peasants still slept. He smiled an inhuman smile. The creature had not been a beast, like Jhoren, he had once been a man but was now corrupted. He was one of the Ennwrathi.... A Malagant.... A child's fable.

Ghul

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
14 DEX 12
15 CON 10
15 BODY 10
5 INT -5
5 EGO 10
20 PRE 10
0 COM -5
10/14 PD 6
5/9 ED 2
3 SPD 6
7 REC 0
30 END 0
40 STUN 7
6" RUN00" SWIM-24" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 71

Cost Power END
47 Undead Form: Life Support , Total LS: Still hungers for warm-blooded food.
10 Undead Form: No Hit Locations (10 Active Points)
15 Undead: Does Not Bleed
12 Undeadness: Armor (4 PD/4 ED)
27 No Organs: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Piercing Weapons (-1 1/4)
9 Corruption Effect: Transform 0d6 +1: Human into Ennwrathi (Major), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2), Offensive (+1/4), Continuous (+1), Heals back per REC once a year (+1 1/2) (26 Active Points); Activation Roll 10- (-1 1/4), Restrainable (-1/2)
15 Boney Skeletal Hands: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 135

Cost Skill
2 PS: The Hunt 11-
0 Climbing 8-
0 Concealment 8-
1 Mimicry 8-
1 Security Systems 8-
3 Shadowing 10-
3 Sleight Of Hand 12-
2 WF: Common Melee Weapons
8 +4 Skeletal Claws
Skills Cost: 20

Total Character Cost: 226

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 26

Serpent Blade

Player: Magic Item

Cost Equipment END
12 Serpentblade - Bastardsword: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 12 (-1/2), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) [Notes: 1 1/2H]
2 +1 OCV: +1 Well Made (5 Active Points); OAF (-1)
3 Quick Strike: +3 DEX (9 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Lightining Reflexes (-1/4)
6 Serpent Strike: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Activation Roll 9- (-1 1/2), OAF (-1)
16 Poison: Drain BODY 2d6, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Does BODY (+1), No Normal Defense: Poison Immunity Standard (+1) (70 Active Points); Activation Roll 9- (-1 1/2), OAF (-1), Limited Special Effect Common SFX (-1/2), Gradual Effect 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1/4)

There are several of these blades that exist but all of them were made by cultists who worshiped the fallen celestine Tsarrion [PS- The Ts and Tz come from the same language and is called Old Kration in the game world...So these two fellas have similar roots to their names]. Tsarrion is one of the few remaining Dragons known in the world and his followers embrace all forms of serpentism, to them he is the ultimate symbol of both life and death.

It is unknown how the blades work or what magic empowers them, but if you ask one of the Oroborous Cultists they will tell you that the blades follow the will of Tsarrion. Either they will "bite you" or they will not, many warriors have had victory stolen from them by one of these fickle blades. Luckily no more than a dozen were made.

I should have the write up and picture on the web later tonight.