Lord of the Rings question of sorts

Badger

Originally posted by taxboy4

..and I live in Wellington, home of Peter Jackson, the great man himself...

And I live in England, home of JRRT, the great man himself. :D

I spent a lot of years playing MERP/RM, and had a lot of fun doing so. But in the end, they're rather restricting, and difficult to alter into a different style of play.

I'm hoping Hero will give me as much fun, and be easier to tinker with. So far, things are looking good...

Originally posted by Lowly Uhlan

Too add just a little;

The Nazgul were called Ulari in quenya, the "high" elvish language. The LoTR CCG by Decipher has names for all nine on each of their cards, don't know what the source for those names was.

IIRC, the names on the Decipher cards are just Quenya for "First Ringwraith", "Second Ringwraith", etc., as a way to get around the 'no given names'.

As for the origins, I think one of the LotR Appendices specifies that three of the Nazgul were Black Numenoreans.

Matthew L. Martin

Originally posted by tkdguy

Actually I did enjoy MERP. Just don't play solo. The combat takes forever. My 8th level dwarf warrior once singlehandedly killed a 25th level vampire (he got initiative had rolled one critical hit after another), only to die at level 10 at the hands of two level 2 orcs. and my half elf bard got permanently paralyzed from the neck down after taking a nasty hit.

I enjoyed MERP and RM for about 2 years but at some point we realized that your magic and what you rolled was far more important than the characters themselves which kind of ruined it for me. But the crits are fun, I remember one game where the GM put some super bionic scare the heck out of you demon guarding a door, basically as a means of getting us to stay away from that area, well one of the characters decides what the heck, he's going to take a pot shot with his long bow and run like the dickens, low and behold he gets a crit and the arrow goes in one ear and out the other neatly removing all the demons ear wax, oh, yeah and also most of his brain killing him instantly. Unfortunately more often than not it was the PC's who got that treatment, I don't think I ever killed a critter or had a character die from loss of hit points, it was always some kind of crit.

I have thought about getting ICE's 1 million ways to die, a compendium of their crit tables just because they are sort of entertaining in a sick way.

Originally posted by Toadmaster

I have thought about getting ICE's 1 million ways to die, a compendium of their crit tables just because they are sort of entertaining in a sick way.

Stuff like "Shot through both ears. Target is instantly killed, and any earwax is removed." Sounds funny when you do it to them; not as funny when it's done to you (except to your buddies). I also like the fumble chart. It is funny when some one gets a penalty because he rolled the result "trip over imaginary deceased turtle" or "-20 due to pulled groin; foe is stunned 2 rounds laughing."

Those were the days...