spell skill system

Foxx!

Weird -- I answered this post first, before the above, but it didnt take -- so here it is again....

Originally posted by Tywyll

Hum... apparently I was wrong about needing 5th ed fantasy hero. Seems there are a /lot/ more changes in it over the 4th ed. Grumble... more books to buy...

Not even really a comparison IMO. I was never a big fan of the previous version of Fantasy HERO as written. The new version is much much much better IMO. I've been using it through the playtest copy thru now, and am very happy with it as a whole.

Ok, here is a question then... perhaps you can answer:

If you made a magic system similar to this one, but instead of each skill being a seperate spell, there were, say, 6 spell skills that handled broad categories (Destruction Magic, Restoration Magic, Conjuration, etc) and all the spells fell within one or more of the categories. To cast you would need to make a roll with the skill, negative based on the cost of the spell (active points).

How would you suggest doing that? Would you pay for each spell seperately? Would you increase the cost on the spell skills but other wise leave them alone (like make them 10/5 or something)? Suggestions?

Actually, this would be pretty much just like "The Gift" sample Magic System on page 265 of Fantasy HERO

Grumble...

Which I don't have to read. :confused:

Ok, another question... I have seen several references from people talking about tight group skill bonuses and overall skill bonuses (like a 10 point bonus to all skills). Am I missing something in the core rules or were those in another book? If so, which one and how do they work?

Re: Grumble...

Which I don't have to read. :confused:

Ok, another question... I have seen several references from people talking about tight group skill bonuses and overall skill bonuses (like a 10 point bonus to all skills). Am I missing something in the core rules or were those in another book? If so, which one and how do they work?

Dont have my materials w/ me -- Im at work, but Skill Levels are in FRED. Operating from memory you have:

10pt "Overall Levels" which can be used to modify just about any 3d6 resolution roll, including PER Checks, Find Weakness, and OCV/DCV. They are kind of like a combination All Skill Level + All Combat Level + All PER Level. Im a big fan of OL's and in fact am often nudged about my tendency to buy at least one for all of my characters. IMO, it's almost stupid not to for any character that isnt a pure combat monster.

8pt "All Skill Levels" which are like an Overall Level except that since they are only useful for skill rolls it's dumb to not pony up 2 more points and get an OL instead.

5pt "All Skills of X Characteristic" which only make sense for most skills once your character has hit Char Maxima and if they have 3 or more skills of that type.

I dont even recall off hand if there are +1 w/ Tight Group of Skills for 3 points or not, but Ive known GM's that have allowed them in the past. Id have to check the book to be 100% on them.

Heres the big secret though: IMO if you are going to get Skill Levels you might as well just get OLs

Skill Levels...

Holy crud, those are too good to be true. I don't think I can justifiably allow the 10 point level in my games... its just too awesome (especially since it combines an 8 point CV boost with even more goodies!).

The 8 point for all skills seems all right though, as do the lesser ones (though I have my concerns with high stat characters buying the 5 pt levels).

What's FRED?

Re: Skill Levels...

Holy crud, those are too good to be true. I don't think I can justifiably allow the 10 point level in my games... its just too awesome (especially since it combines an 8 point CV boost with even more goodies!).

Well, you still must assign it each Phase -- its not a global +1. So if you use it as an OCV or DCV level then you cant use it for a skill or a perception check or what have you. It works out pretty nicely. At 10 points its really expensive and takes a major investment in points, but makes you character better at any one task at a time.

The 8 point for all skills seems all right though, as do the lesser ones (though I have my concerns with high stat characters buying the 5 pt levels).

Actually Hi-stat characters get less benefit out of them -- their stats provide most of the oomph already.

What's FRED?

HERO System Fifth Edition is nicknamed FRED ("Fifth Rules EDition"). The big black book with the green hex-man logo.

In your standard Heroic game, an Overall level is still a big deal. Anything that costs 10 pts., if you only have 100-150 to work with, is a big deal. I don't think that any of the player in my game even considered getting Overall levels until they had built up some XP after playing (and I still think only one or two of the player characters actually have an Overall level).

Now, if you have a spell skill system, Overall levels may become more attractive to wizards. If a wizard is going to start with eight spells, for example, a 10-point Overall level (or 8-pt. All-Skill level) to help all of their spells is less expensive than buying up the skill roll for each individual spell. That may be an issue to examine when refining that system- how wizard characters might use skill levels to save potentially lots of points. Depending on your game, you may or may not care if spells are cheap, but you may care that upgrading those All-Skill Levels to Overall Levels only costs 2 pts.

Originally posted by bjbrown

Now, if you have a spell skill system, Overall levels may become more attractive to wizards. If a wizard is going to start with eight spells, for example, a 10-point Overall level (or 8-pt. All-Skill level) to help all of their spells is less expensive than buying up the skill roll for each individual spell. That may be an issue to examine when refining that system- how wizard characters might use skill levels to save potentially lots of points. Depending on your game, you may or may not care if spells are cheap, but you may care that upgrading those All-Skill Levels to Overall Levels only costs 2 pts.

I already factored it in to the "Magecraft" system above. As you note 10 points isnt trivial, particularly considering that in the case of a spell skill system such as Magecraft, the Spells can still be quite expensive. The pilot-flight character I put up as an example only has 9 spells total even at around 175 points.

So for him for example, an Overall Level is worth it as it is cheaper than buying each spell up independently, but the character is still stretched a little thin point wise.

The advantage to Magecraft as written is that a Mage can take advantage of Var Advantage and Var SFX to make flexible spells. So whereas a Wizard or Sorceror might know many different damage spells, a Mage might know just 1 to 3 or so and just keep improving them as they advance.

I have Wizards on a VPP system and Sorcerors on an overlapping MPP w/ Charges on the reserve system BTW.

All but one of the 9 active PCs in my current fantasy game have an overall level, and 3 of them have two each. The ones with two have lower OCV/DCVs than characters that opted for dedicated OCV, tight group, and HtH levels, but are also the most utilitarian members of the group. So they suffer a point inefficiency in combat situations for a pay off in non-combat situations.

Whipped up a Wizard to demonstrate the differences.BTW, Wizards may have a total Real Cost in their VPP equal to their Pool total x3. So, the sample character has a 75 Active Point Limit, but can have 225 Real Cost worth of 1 Charge Spells per day selected from his personal "Known Spells List", preparred in the morning.

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Yortheon Malafrid

Alternate Identities:

Player Name: NPC

attachment.php?s=&postid=101723
CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
10 STR 10 0 10 11- HTH Damage 2d6 END [1]
8 DEX 10 -6 8 11- OCV 3 DCV 3
10 CON 10 0 10 11-
10 BODY 10 0 10 11-
18 INT 10 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-/14-
15 EGO 10 10 15 12- ECV: 5
15 PRE 10 5 15 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
14 COM 10 2 14 12-

2 PD 2 0 2   2 PD (0 rPD)
2 ED 2 0 2   2 ED (0 rED)
3 SPD 1.8 12 3   Phases: 4, 8, 12
4 REC 4 0 4  
20 END 20 0 20  
20 STUN 20 0 20    
5" Running 6 -2 5"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2"/1"" Leaping 2 0 2" 29 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=264085
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 29
Spent: 29
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 50
Disad Points: 100
Total Points: 179
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 5" [10" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (2") 2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
Flight 0"/24" [0"/48" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  White
Eye Color:  Blue
Height:  6' 2"
Weight:  200 lbs
Description:
Friendly and likeable old man, with a gleam in his eye. Wears well made purplish traveling robes, with a pointy hat typical of graduates of the University of Turant Carries a high quality but mundane staff/walking stick with a glass bauble in the tip, convenient as a target of Light spells.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 2 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0  
Energy Defense 2 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0  
Mental Defense 5 Current STUN:
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 3 DCV: 3

Combat Skill Levels: +1 Overall , +1 with Ranged Combat , +12 with DCV (60 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 17 , +1 with HTH Combat (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) , +12 with DCV (60 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4)
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
2 Human Awareness: +1 PER with Sight Group
2 Mystic Mind: MD (5 points total)
88 Wizardry: VPP (Magic Pool), 75 base + 13 control cost, (112 Active Points); Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; Extra Time, Concentration, Incantation, Gesture, Limited Range, Restrainable via Spell Component Pouch, or RSR: Magic Skill vs. Spell Resistance; -1/2), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (w/ Spell Book & Study Time) (-1/2), Arcane Magic Only (-1/2), All Spells Must Have One Charge Only (-1/4)
1) Light: Sight Group Images Increases Size (4" radius; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Set Effect (-1), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 3
Notes: Evocation [Light]
2) Read Magic: Detect Meaning of Magical Writings 13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze (15 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4) Real Cost: 4
Notes: Universal
3) Mage Hand: Telekinesis (5 STR), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (15 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Limited Range (4" + 1" /15 Points in VPP) (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 4
Notes: Universal, Wish
4) Alarm: (Total: 25 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Hearing Group and Mental Awareness Images Increases Size (4" radius; +1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/4), Trigger (Unauthorized entity enters Area) (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Set Effect (Alarm Bell) (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Linked (Alarm Indicator; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Mind Link , With Alarm Spell, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0) (5 Active Points); Only to recieve mental ping from Alarm spell; 1way (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), Linked (Alarm Giver; -1/2), Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time (+1/4), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) Real Cost: 6
Notes: Abjuration
5) Detect Magic: Mystic Awareness, +5 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Targeting (30 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) Real Cost: 8
6) Enlarge: Growth (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, -2" KB, 363 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), UBO (+1/4), Limited Range (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Trigger (At Will; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4) Real Cost: 12
Notes: Transmutation, PHB3e
7) Detect Invisible: Spatial Awareness (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Range, Rapid (x10), Telescopic (+1 versus Range Modifier), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (43 Active Points); Only To Detect Invisible & Concealed Physical Objects (-1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 12
Notes: Divination
8) Improved Wizards Armor: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), IIF (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 16
Notes: Evocation, Force
9) Minor Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 2d6+1 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 10
Notes: Evocation [Force], NEW
10) Minor Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 2d6+1 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 10
11) Sense Thoughts: Telepathy 3d6 ( Human class of minds), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Cumulative (x2 max.) (36 points; +3/4), Lingering up to 1 Minute (+3/4) (45 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1 1/4), Extra Time (Extra Phase, Delayed Phase, -1), Receive Only (-1/2), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Concentration, throughout (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance; -1/4) Real Cost: 8
Notes: Divination, [Mind-Affecting]
12) Dispel Magic -- Arcane: Dispel Arcane Magic 13d6, Any Arcane Magic Effect 1 at a time (+1/2) (58 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll Abjuration Skill vs Magic Skill of Caster; -1/4) Real Cost: 13
Notes: Abjuration, New
13) Blink: +12 with DCV (60 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 17
Notes: Tranmutation, Teleportation, PHB3e
14) Fireball III: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 15
Notes: Evocation [Fire]
15) Zephyr Flight: Flight 12", Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4) Real Cost: 24
Notes: Transmutation, NEW
16) Thunderstaff: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1 (standard effect: 7 BODY, 14 STUN) (vs. PD), Does x1 1/2 Knockback (+1/2), Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/2"; +1/2) (70 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-1/2), OIF (Staff Of Opportunity; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4) Real Cost: 14
Notes: Evocation [sonic], ToM2e
17) Protection From Lightning: FF (21 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Trigger (When A Electricity Spell Is Incoming; +1/4), IPE, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (73 Active Points); Only vs Electricity (-2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4) Real Cost: 17
18) Lesser Wall of Force Type II: Entangle 5d6, 10 DEF (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Only To Form Barriers (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 14
19) Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 4d6 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 18
92 Total Powers Cost
EQUIPMENT
Equipment END
Equipment
1) Bedroll: Bedroll (0 Active Points)
Notes: Body 1_Def 1
2) Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial): Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial) (0 Active Points)
3) Quill: Quill (0 Active Points)
Notes: Body 1_Def 0
4) Rations (1 weeks): Rations (1 weeks) (0 Active Points)
5) Sealing Wax: Sealing Wax (0 Active Points)
6) Spellbook,Small: (0 Active Points)
7) Tent, Canvas: Tent, Canvas (0 Active Points)
Notes: Body 1_Def 1_ Holds 2
8) Quarterstaff: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) +1 with HTH Combat (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus HA +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9)
Notes: Body 4_Def 3_Length M
Ghosteyes: N-Ray Perception (Sight Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Century (+0) (12 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Eyes of Darkest Night: Nightvision, Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Telescopic (+3 versus Range Modifier), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Century (+0) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Light: Sight Group Images Increases Size (4" radius; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Set Effect (-1), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Mage Hand: Telekinesis (5 STR), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (15 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Limited Range (4" + 1" /15 Points in VPP) (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Read Magic: Detect Meaning of Magical Writings 13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze (15 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4)
Comprehend Languages: Universal Translator 14-, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Century (+0) (21 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)
Alarm: (Total: 25 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Hearing Group and Mental Awareness Images Increases Size (4" radius; +1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/4), Trigger (Unauthorized entity enters Area) (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Set Effect (Alarm Bell) (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Linked (Alarm Indicator; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Mind Link , With Alarm Spell, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0) (5 Active Points); Only to recieve mental ping from Alarm spell; 1way (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), Linked (Alarm Giver; -1/2), Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time (+1/4), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)
Notes: Abjuration
Detect Magic: Mystic Awareness, +5 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Targeting (30 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4)
Enlarge: Growth (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, -2" KB, 363 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), UBO (+1/4), Limited Range (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Trigger (At Will; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4)
Detect Invisible: Spatial Awareness (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Range, Rapid (x10), Telescopic (+1 versus Range Modifier), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (43 Active Points); Only To Detect Invisible & Concealed Physical Objects (-1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Improved Wizards Armor: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), IIF (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Minor Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 2d6+1 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Sense Thoughts: Telepathy 3d6 ( Human class of minds), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Cumulative (x2 max.) (36 points; +3/4), Lingering up to 1 Minute (+3/4) (45 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1 1/4), Extra Time (Extra Phase, Delayed Phase, -1), Receive Only (-1/2), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Concentration, throughout (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance; -1/4)
Notes: Divination, [Mind-Affecting]
Blink: +12 with DCV (60 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4)
Dispel Magic -- Wizardry: Dispel Wizardry Magic 16d6, Any Wizardry Effect one at a time (+1/4) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll Abjuration Skill vs Magic Skill of Caster; -1/4)
Fireball III: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Zephyr Flight: Flight 12", Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4)
Arcane Eye: Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups), x4 Range (300"), Analyze, Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Mobile Perception Point, Targeting, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (70 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense (Sight, Hearing) [very common Sense] (-1/2), Concentration, throughout (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Thunderstaff: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1 (standard effect: 7 BODY, 14 STUN) (vs. PD), Does x1 1/2 Knockback (+1/2), Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/2"; +1/2) (70 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-1/2), OIF (Staff Of Opportunity; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
Notes: Evocation [sonic], ToM2e
Protection From Lightning: FF (21 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Trigger (When A Electricity Spell Is Incoming; +1/4), IPE, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (73 Active Points); Only vs Electricity (-2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4)
Swordward: FF (21 PD), Hardened (+1/4), Trigger (When About To Get Hit With A Sword; +1/4), IPE, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (73 Active Points); Only vs Swords (-2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4)
Force Sculpture: Object Creation (Digital HERO #7 HEROGlyphs by Steven S. Long), +9 BODY, +9 DEF (74 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Restricted Lifespan (Dissapates in 1 Hour; -1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Notes: Evocation, Force, GHA1e; Creates simple non-weapon objects made of pure Force like tables & chairs, etc. 11 DEF 11 BODY up to 1 hex of material.
Dimension Door: Teleportation 25", Trigger (At Will; +1/2) (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Notes: Universal, Teleportation
Lesser Wall of Force Type II: Entangle 5d6, 10 DEF (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Only To Form Barriers (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 4d6 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
PERKS
Cost  Name
2 Wizard Rep: Reputation: Moderately Powerful Wizard, One of Daelon Thar's original students (Wizards of Vorgaanese Lands) 14-, +2/+2d6
2 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
3 Good Memory: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Requires An INT Roll (-3/4)
23 Spellcraft 15-
Notes: This Talent allows a character to make Magic Skill Rolls when they do not otherwise have the correct Spell School Knowledge Skill to do so. Spellcraft may act as a proxy in the place of any Spell School Skill. Thus if a character needs to make a KS: Necromancy Skill check but lacks KS: Necromancy, they may make a Spellcraft check instead. Spellcraft will rarely yield the same depth of knowledge on a given subject as the appropriate Spell School Skill would, but is enough to get the general ideas of what is going on. Thus, a person with KS: Evocation would likely know things like the actual named theories involved with an Evocation Spell, and perhaps even things like the Spellcaster who discovered or invented the Spell and when, while a person with Spellcraft merely grasps its observable effects.
26 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
10 Human Adaptability: +1 Overall
5 +1 with Ranged Combat
3 Penalty Skill Levels: +1 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks
5 CuK: Vorgaanese Tributaries (INT-based) 15-
5 PS: Wizard (INT-based) 15-
1 WF: Staffs
1 Language: Vorgaan (Ieshali dialect) (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
30 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
10 Age: 60+
5 DF: Human (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
5 DF: Mage (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
20 DNPC: Falinor Malafrid (Grandson) 11- (Incompetent)
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima
15 Psych. Lim.: Hyper-curious (Common, Strong)
15 Psych. Lim.: Overly kind (Common, Strong)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Force Attacks (Uncommon)
100 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 6' 2" Hair: White
Weight: 200 lbs Eyes: Blue
Appearance: Friendly and likeable old man, with a gleam in his eye. Wears well made purplish traveling robes, with a pointy hat typical of graduates of the University of Turant Carries a high quality but mundane staff/walking stick with a glass bauble in the tip, convenient as a target of Light spells.
Personality: Yortheon is a kindly, likable old man who has a tendency towards benevolent encouragement.

However, when it comes to his goal: implacable vengeance.

Quote:"Well hello there! We seek a man named Doran Murfon. Have you heard tale of him? Twist-backed spellcaster with a curled-up lip?"
Background: Yortheon grew up in Tarantum and attended the University of Turant as a boy, learning to become a Warlock (as male Magecrafters are called in Vorgaa). He was one of the original students of Daelon Thar and instead of Wizardry was one of the first to learn magic according to Daelon's new theories of Wizardry. Yortheon flourished under Daelon's tutoring and was an early success for the powerful old magic user. After graduation, Yortheon stayed on with Daelon for a number of years helping to train new students in Daelon's methods, but eventually was offered a position to teach as head instructor of Wizardry at a University in far off Zarifin in a place called Farnock. Yortheon has had a very satisfying and successful life there in the 4 decades since, but without the guidance of the visionary Daelon, his understanding of Wizardry never really advanced. However, he was still good enough to hold his position as head instructor at the modest University of Farnock

He married a girl named Orphelia late in life in his 40's and had a son named Orfolt who was something of a prodigy as a youth, so when the lad was of age, Yortheon sent the boy to his own homeland to attend the University of Tarant as he himself once had. Life continued apace for several years, though Orphelia caught a fever and died of a flummox the first year Orfolt was gone. Orfolt got married to a nice lass he met at University the next year and had a son himself a few seasons later. Yortheon was a little dissaproving that the lad was burdening himself with a family while still in school, but his instructors indicated high marks, so no harm done.

Yortheon planned to hold his position for another year or so and then transition Orfolt into the role after his return from University and was quite happy with his lot, though somtimes had sad thoughts of Orphelia. Then the terrible word reached him -- his son Orfolt had been slain in a duel with some upstart hedge wizard! To make things worse his daughter in law reportedly committed suicide afterwards from grief, leaving her child Falinor with her family.

A terrible anger filled Yortheon then, and he vowed to have vengeance on this Doran Murfon villain if it took every last day of his life to do. Quitting his job he went to Turantum to collect his sons effects and had the additional shock of his daughter-in-laws family forcing the baby Falinor on him -- they were a common family and had little means to care for the child since they had invested all they had into their daughter's admission into the University. Unable to travel with the not-yet-four year old, Yortheon took lodging in Turantum and sought out to learn everything he could about his new and hated enemy Doran. Finally, a little over a year later when the boy turned five Yartheon set out with Falinor in toe. Two years later he still travels, chasing rumors of his target.

Falinor is seven now and growing like a weed. He also shows tremendous potential as a Wizard, and Yortheon has been teaching all the basics to while away the time as they scour the lands looking for the twisted killer who took Yortheon's son and Falinor's father.

Powers/Tactics: Flexible Wizard.
Campaign Use: Foil to Doran Murfon. Interesting NPC, potential ally. Comparison point for Magecraft.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.21)

I was talking generally about how skill levels would affect a character with skill-based magic like your Magecraft, using wizard as a generic term for a character using magic. But apparently "wizard" is a term of art in your campaign, and you took me to mean something else. I've been following the thread because I think the system you're working up as Magecraft would be a good system to use as the magic system for a FH game, if I would ever start a new one. I'm using a modified version of spell schools in my current game, and I've come to the conclusion after using it a while that it makes spells too expensive and a little too rigid. On the other hand, I feel like power frameworks would make spells a little too cheap. Magecraft has a good way of working out the power and costs of spells that strikes a balance in the middle. So I've been taking notes for future use.

Originally posted by bjbrown

I was talking generally about how skill levels would affect a character with skill-based magic like your Magecraft, using wizard as a generic term for a character using magic. But apparently "wizard" is a term of art in your campaign, and you took me to mean something else. I've been following the thread because I think the system you're working up as Magecraft would be a good system to use as the magic system for a FH game, if I would ever start a new one. I'm using a modified version of spell schools in my current game, and I've come to the conclusion after using it a while that it makes spells too expensive and a little too rigid. On the other hand, I feel like power frameworks would make spells a little too cheap. Magecraft has a good way of working out the power and costs of spells that strikes a balance in the middle. So I've been taking notes for future use.

Its all good. ;)

Yeah, in my current setting I am using multiple magic systems, specifically because I want to see how they work and play well with others. Many major cultures have their own distinct magic, some have several, and there have been some systems that existed in the past but have since declined (typically due to their culture being on the loosing end of a war).

Currently most are just mentioned and not yet stated, but already we have the following seperate systems of magic in play or ready for play:

1) "Spontaneous Casting" via MPP

a) Obermancy (Elementalism)

B) Skaldingkraft (Sortilege )

c) Sorcery (Wizard Spells via MPP)

2) "Prepared Casting" via VPP

a) Wizardry

B) Divine Casters

3) "Spontaneous Casting" via Spell Skill System

a) Witchery (Magecraft) -- this "older style" of magic will probably get used in several places for Adept-type magic users.

4) "Spontaneous Casting" via Elemental Control

a) Druidic (Nature Magic)

5) Innate Abiliites

a) Aldenaren (an access Talent and straight up Power system)

Other magic systems that are specifically mentioned in the source material but not yet statted (and arent really intended for play, or at least not yet):

1) Runecrafting

2) A scroll based system that is kind of a combination of Hermetic Magic and Wu Jen

3) A Shaiir-like system of summoning a extraplanar entity and getting powers from them

4) Shamanism

5) Thanomancy -- uses life force and sacrifice (not intended for PCs -- one of the "dead arts" that were destroyed by the Machtig in the setting)

6) (True) Necromancy -- good old dark forces of Undeath stuff; the Necromancy of Wizardry is basically a cleaned up and systematic reprise of this much older art in the setting (not intended for PCs -- one of the "dead arts" that were destroyed by the Machtig in the setting)

Basically, most major cultures have a style of magic particular to them, either old or new in the current setting Im running. This allows me to test out magic systems and see how they compare to each other in play. It also allows me to be open ended and use things that come to mind or other people come up with :)

Magecraft actually fit nicely into a niche I needed filled and had been stewing over for weeks, but had been going at it from a completely different direction. One of those happy occurances that Foxx posted something completely different but that lead me to think about something else for a while which broke my impasse on the matter.

However, the addition of Magecraft to the setting and a couple of other changes in the last few weeks mean I need to go back and overhaul the Magic System Guidelines on my site pretty heavily, which I havent had the time to do yet :(

Here is a sample Sorceror type character -- in my setting Sorcerors are practitioners of Wizardry that dont go in for the theory and what not -- a middle ground between Mages and Wizards essentially. They use layered MPP's w/ Charges on the Reserve to represent "X/Day" rather than the VPP of true Wizards. There are some pros and cons to this. On the pro side they dont have to prepare a limited number of spells each day, and at the lower end have more spells per day than a Wizard. On the con side Wizards can know potentially many more different spells than a Sorceror, and with a lenient GM (like me) can arrange their VPP as they like, scrapping lower level spells for more higher, or vice versa. Also, there is a point, around 5th level spells, where the Wizards VPP becomes more efficient points wize than the Sorcerors MPPs.Its my take on a way to do the differences between D&D 3e style Wizards/Sorcerors -- though not an exact conversion its pretty close and seems to work out. However, like anything else, the idea is reusable for just about anything. Anyhoo, here it is:

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Rialta For'anvor

Alternate Identities:

Player Name: NPC

attachment.php?s=&postid=101723
CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
10 STR 10 0 10 11- HTH Damage 2d6 END [1]
14 DEX 10 12 14 12- OCV 5 DCV 5
10 CON 10 0 10 11-
12 BODY 10 4 12 11-
15 INT 10 5 15 12- PER Roll 12-/13-
14 EGO 10 8 14 12- ECV: 5
15 PRE 10 5 15 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
14 COM 10 2 14 12-

2 PD 2 0 2   2 PD (0 rPD)
2 ED 2 0 2   2 ED (0 rED)
3 SPD 2.4 6 3   Phases: 4, 8, 12
4 REC 4 0 4  
20 END 20 0 20  
22 STUN 22 0 22    
5" Running 6 -2 5"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2"/1"" Leaping 2 0 2" 40 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=265130
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 29
Spent: 29
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 50
Disad Points: 100
Total Points: 179
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 5" [10" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (2") 2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
Flight 0"/10" [0"/40" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Brunette
Eye Color:  Blue
Height:  5' 11"
Weight:  130 lbs
Description:
When her Glamour spell is off (or for those who can "see through it" w/ a Detect Magic), she is a moderately attractive woman in her mid to late 20's with a shapely figure. A snazzy dresser, she favors clothes that accentuate her body rather than conceal it because she a) thinks she is more beautiful than she is, and B) knows that its a distraction to men, which she feels increases her power over them. She takes baths at every reasonable opportunity, and pays special attention to her lustrous brown hair; she often wears heavy perfumes when "on the road" to conceal any odour, and at GM's discretion a character with a good nose might be able to recognize the scent of her perfume in some cases.

When her Glamour is on, she is a stunningly beautiful woman that is so gorgeous it defies description, and in fact it is difficult to recall what exactly she looks like when she is no longer around.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 2 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0  
Energy Defense 2 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0  
Mental Defense 0 Current STUN:
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 5 DCV: 5

Combat Skill Levels: +1 Overall , +6 with DCV, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4)
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
2 Human Awareness: +1 PER with Hearing Group
6 Sorceror MPP 0 Level: MP, 15-point reserve, (15 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
1) Mage Hand: Telekinesis (5 STR), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (15 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Limited Range (4" + 1" /15 Points in VPP) (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
2) Read Magic: Detect Meaning of Magical Writings 12- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 20 Minutes each (+0) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4)
1u
3) Glamour: +30 COM, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Day each (+0) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Notes: Illusion, Glamer, NEW
1u
4) The Looming: Growth (+5 STR, +1 BODY, +1 STUN, -1" KB, 118 kg, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide), UBO (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+3/4) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
10 Sorceror MPP 1st Level: MP, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1/2), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
1) Sorcerous Lightmote: Sight Group Images Increases Size (32" radius; +1 1/4), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+3/4) (30 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Set Effect (-1), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
1u
2) Detect Magic: Mystic Awareness, +5 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Targeting, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4)
1u
3) Lesser Blink: +6 with DCV, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Visible (-1/4)
1u
4) Accelerate: +2 SPD, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Trigger (At Will; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
13 Sorceror MPP 2nd Level: MP, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
1u
1) Detect Invisible: Spatial Awareness (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Range, Rapid (x10), Telescopic (+1 versus Range Modifier), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 6 Hours each (+0) (43 Active Points); Only To Detect Invisible & Concealed Physical Objects (-1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
1u
2) Minor Mystic Missiles: Energy Blast 2d6+1 (vs. NND), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Affects Desolid, AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier); +3/4), No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) (Standard; +1), Does BODY (+1) (45 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
2u
3) Immolation: Energy Blast 9d6 (vs. ED) (45 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
2u
4) Sorcerous Armor: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Day each (+0), Trigger (When attacked; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
15 Sorceror MPP 3rd Level: MP, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-1 1/2), 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
3u
1) The Unseen Presense: Invisibility to Sight Group and Mental Awareness , No Fringe, 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+3/4) (58 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
Notes: Illusion, NEW
2u
2) Dispel Magic -- Arcane: Dispel Arcane Magic 13d6, Any Arcane Magic Effect 1 at a time (+1/2) (58 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), 6 Charges (-3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll Abjuration Skill vs Magic Skill of Caster; -1/4)
2u
3) Fireball III: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
2u
4) Personal Flight: Flight 10", x4 Noncombat, Ranged (+1/2), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+3/4) (56 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
17 Sorceror MPP 4th Level: MP, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); Spontaneous Casting Discount (-2), 6 Charges (-3/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
2u
1) Swordward: FF (21 PD), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Hardened (+1/4), Trigger (When About To Get Hit With A Sword; +1/4), IPE, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (73 Active Points); Only vs Swords (-2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, Delayed Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)
3u
2) Dimension Door: Teleportation 25", Trigger (At Will; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), 6 Charges (-3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Notes: Universal, Teleportation
3u
3) Improved Fireball III: Energy Blast 6 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (74 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
2u
4) Firebursts: Energy Blast 8 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (AoE 1 hex Accurate, Explosion, No Range Modifier, Penetrating); +3/4) (75 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill vs Spell Resistance Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)
Notes: Evocation [Fire], NEW
96 Total Powers Cost
EQUIPMENT
Equipment END
Equipment
1) Dress/Gown: Dress/Gown (0 Active Points)
2) Bedroll: Bedroll (0 Active Points)
3) Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial): Ink (1 ounce, in glass vial) (0 Active Points)
4) Quill: Quill (0 Active Points)
5) Rations (1 weeks): Rations (1 weeks) (0 Active Points)
6) Sealing Wax: Sealing Wax (0 Active Points)
7) Spellbook,Small: (0 Active Points)
8) Tent, Canvas: Tent, Canvas (0 Active Points)
Notes: Body 1_Def 1_ Holds 2
TALENTS
Cost  Name
3 Lightsleep
19 Spellcraft 13-
Notes: This Talent allows a character to make Magic Skill Rolls when they do not otherwise have the correct Spell School Knowledge Skill to do so. Spellcraft may act as a proxy in the place of any Spell School Skill. Thus if a character needs to make a KS: Necromancy Skill check but lacks KS: Necromancy, they may make a Spellcraft check instead. Spellcraft will rarely yield the same depth of knowledge on a given subject as the appropriate Spell School Skill would, but is enough to get the general ideas of what is going on. Thus, a person with KS: Evocation would likely know things like the actual named theories involved with an Evocation Spell, and perhaps even things like the Spellcaster who discovered or invented the Spell and when, while a person with Spellcraft merely grasps its observable effects.
22 Total Talents Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
10 Human Adaptability: +1 Overall
5 CuK: Folgetova (INT-based) 14-
5 PS: Sorceror (INT-based) 14-
1 Language: Vorgaan (Folget dialect) (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
21 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
5 DF: Human (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
5 DF: Sorceror (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
20 Enraged: When Spurned (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 8-
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima
15 Psych. Lim.: Ambitious and Power-hungry (Common, Strong)
15 Psych. Lim.: Arrogant (Common, Strong)
15 Psych. Lim.: Vain (Common, Strong)
5 Reputation: As A Backstabber, 8- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group (Red Ravens Mercenary Company))
100 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 5' 11" Hair: Brunette
Weight: 130 lbs Eyes: Blue
Appearance: When her Glamour spell is off (or for those who can "see through it" w/ a Detect Magic), she is a moderately attractive woman in her mid to late 20's with a shapely figure. A snazzy dresser, she favors clothes that accentuate her body rather than conceal it because she a) thinks she is more beautiful than she is, and B) knows that its a distraction to men, which she feels increases her power over them. She takes baths at every reasonable opportunity, and pays special attention to her lustrous brown hair; she often wears heavy perfumes when "on the road" to conceal any odour, and at GM's discretion a character with a good nose might be able to recognize the scent of her perfume in some cases.

When her Glamour is on, she is a stunningly beautiful woman that is so gorgeous it defies description, and in fact it is difficult to recall what exactly she looks like when she is no longer around.

Personality: A stubborn, impatient, and arrogant woman much enamored of her own above average, but not spectacular, looks, Rialta is very dominating and forward. She does not display her powers unnecessarily, but when she does, she makes up for lost time with an array of offensive spells suitable for all occasions.

She is not promiscuous, but has a tendency to pick out a romantic interest from time to time, and mercy upon the man who spurns her affections.

She is not an evil or cruel person, just "morally flexible", and a clever person can easily manipulate her by playing to her vanity and hunger for power.

Quote:"This is just business; dont make me make it personal."
Background: Born near Panka (POHN-kah), the capital of Folgetova (FOAL-get-TOH-vah), Rialta showed early promise in Wizardry and was accepted into one of Panka's three Arcanoriums at the tender age of 7, later graduating to the University of Wegnar (one of two Universitiess in the Greater Panka vicinity. The variant of Wizardry semi-disparagingly called "Sorcery" by true Wizards (due to the similarities between how they learn and cast spells when compared to the Zauberer of the neighboring Machtig peoples) caught on in Folgetova over the more freeform but-slower-to-learn True Wizardry originated by Daelon Thar, and this is the discipline that Rialta was instructed in.

By age 19 she was a competant young Sorceress, and in a fashion typical of the impatient, stubborn, and impetuous people of her nation she set out into the world, eager to carve her place in it. Setting out first to Shidaal she sold her skills to several mercenary companies as a freelancer for money to live on, though she mostly took contracts that would keep her close to the city where she enjoyed the fast paced social scene. However, after she had been liviing in Shidaal for a time a too-good-to-pass up contract came along to escort a caravan to Kasaad in the north with a contingent of guards hired by the Red Raven Mercenary Company. The caravan was carrying some artifacts with mystical significance and some other valuables to be delivered to a private buyer.

She should have known that the price was too good for a reason. Three days from Kasaad the caravan was ambushed at dusk by a squad of black-clad mercs from the rival Merc Company of the Black Shields, backed up by a squad of Undari light cavalry from Landroth, and two spellcasters. Rialta threw a few fireballs around, but came under assualt by both opposing arcanist and was quickly subdued; her concentration on offensive spells left her an easy target to their combined attacks as one would Dispel her Magic and the other would attack in turn.

However, though they killed or ransomed the survivng Red Ravens, the spellcaster leading the assault made her a deal when she woke up bound and gagged. Join him and she would be well rewarded, finding power beyond her wildest dreams. Rialta's drive for wealth and power made this offer quite attractive and after a mere moments hesitation she agreed. The Red Raven's that were ransomed back to Shidaal bore her great ill will for going over to the enemy, and among their Mercenary Company she now has a Reputation as a backstabber; they wouldnt go out of their way to do it, but any chance-of-opportunity one of their number might take to inconvenience her would likely be taken.

Since joining her (for now) mysterious new benefactor, Rialta has been set to work doing several odd tasks, ranging from gathering more ancient artifact from various corners of the region to loitering in Landroth, where her benefactor is an ever growing power, highly connected with the rulers and a power behind the throne so to speak. She has also, on a few occassions, been tasked to work with the other spellcaster working with her master who helped subdue her in their original encounter, an odious little Mage from Ieshali named Doran Murfon. Unlike Rialta, whose in it for the power and prestige promised by their mutual benefactor and doesn't go out of her way to cause undue "collateral damage", Murfon is a twisted little man out to prove something and delights in showing his power. The two get on like oil and water, but their benefactor has made it clear that if they let it affect their work he will be most displeased.

Powers/Tactics: Rialta has an assortment of useful spells, though with a tendency towards offense rather than defense which can cause her grief on occasion.

All of her spells with a duration of 6 HOURS to 1 DAY can be assumed to be cast 1st thing in the morning, and all of her spells with an open Trigger can be assumed to have one "floating" charge waiting to be triggered as well (the Triggers must be reset each day). Thus, she usually has Glamour and Detect Invisible "on", and a Triggered Accelerate, Sorcerous Armor, Swordward, and Dimension Door readied. This leaves here with 5 0 Level Charges, 5 1st Level Charges, 4 2nd Level Charges, 6 3rd Level Charges, and 4 4th Level Charges in reserve in most circumstances.

Campaign Use: Rialta is the classic villainess that would be a great ally if she could be redeemed, but her ambition drives her to oppose the heroes. Should be a welcome difference from the odious Morfan.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.22)

Originally posted by Midhir

Any chance you might have your different spell systems in a HD Prefab you'd like to share?

beg, beg, plead, plead

I have 8 or 10 huge prefabs full of spells, but they are very "beta". Im constantly finding errors and what not. I did them all in like a 2 week span, often at 4 in the morning, plus I did them as part of my beta testing of HD v2 (killing 2 birds w/ 1 stone), and some things have changed since then making some of the powers illegal or wonky when opened in HDv2.

Most of the spells can be found here:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyheroContent/Powers/Spells/Spells.asp?Category=Evocation

Eventually, time permitting, I will get the spells all corrected and cleaned up, and when I am happy with them, release them on my website.

I've thought about allowing you to "Check" each spell you want and then write out an HD character file just holding the powers, but it would take a lot of work to enable, namely me manually or writing some code to automatically parse the orginal file in the first place and then synching the XML snippets up w/ the "people" friendly display, or parsing the XML directly into the the people friendly version and the snippets at the same time.

All doable, but it will take some time, and Im too busy getting the Machtig campaign off the ground right now.