Machinology Senses

Zaratustra

How would you do these two powers?

1) Detect the use of an object by sight or touch. Like, discovering the odd object the party found is a ray gun that can be shot by the use of the little knob on the top, only by looking at it.

2) 'McGyver sense' - Detecting how several objects can come together to accomplish something useful, how junk can be assembled into machines, etc. Yes, it's strange.

1) could feasibly be a 10 point detect. I might actually require you to buy clairsentiance, but Detect might work. It depends on how puzzeling I wanted certain items to be

2) For the multiple items, are they meant to go together in some way, like stumbling onto a dissasembled m-16, and instantly knowing how to assemble the thing? Detect. Do it like mcgyver, using unusual items to create something new? Invention skill and penalty skill levels for lack of equipment.

I think McGuyver screams VPP with a limitation for "must use found objects", then pile on some luck (and make sure the limitation is only like -1/4 as it's only rarely limiting). Not that this answered your question. As to that, I'd say the above Inventor thing works fine. If it's a matter of knowing how to fit things together, I wouldn't call that a Detect, I'd call that the regular gadgeteering skill, just with SFX that are oriented towards "junk" rather than the normal ability.

As far as the use of an object, I'd say some combo of analyze and a weapons-type or similar/more broad skill. I'd be concerned about potential abuse - this sort of character can be interpreted as capable of running through the mastermind's lair and using everything freely that someone with 10x greater INT built.