Linear Acceleration

Vex

I have decided to build a character based around the rapid acceleration abilities on flight. I like the idea of a character that can go from complete stop to complete acceleration in a heartbeat. The flight is easy and the vast majority of his powers are easy (Multipower with objects of opportunity that he can accelerate and slam into targets via UNTIL Powers). The one power I haven't figured out how to do is the acceleration of opponents.

1. Flight, Useable on Others, Useable as an attack, Straight Line Only?

What disadvantage would you give if the flight were only in a straight line?

2. TK, Affects Whole Object. Would you give it Only to Push? I want to be able to push in any direction and I have only seen this disadvantage to show wind blowing someone straight away from the user.

On the second build, lets say I buy 40 Str TK, Grab a normal weight person and throw him. A running throw with +30 Str would be 24".

Would the throw do 8d6? 8d6 +V/5=12d6 Damage? What would happen if the victim travelled 3" and hit a wall? I liked up the throwing rules and it didn't seem to cover these issues.

One last question in this long post, how would you handle grabbing victim #1 and slamming him into victim #2?

Re: Linear Acceleration

Originally posted by Vex

I have decided to build a character based around the rapid acceleration abilities on flight. I like the idea of a character that can go from complete stop to complete acceleration in a heartbeat. The flight is easy and the vast majority of his powers are easy (Multipower with objects of opportunity that he can accelerate and slam into targets via UNTIL Powers). The one power I haven't figured out how to do is the acceleration of opponents.

1. Flight, Useable on Others, Useable as an attack, Straight Line Only?

What disadvantage would you give if the flight were only in a straight line?

2. TK, Affects Whole Object. Would you give it Only to Push? I want to be able to push in any direction and I have only seen this disadvantage to show wind blowing someone straight away from the user.

On the second build, lets say I buy 40 Str TK, Grab a normal weight person and throw him. A running throw with +30 Str would be 24".

Would the throw do 8d6? 8d6 +V/5=12d6 Damage? What would happen if the victim travelled 3" and hit a wall? I liked up the throwing rules and it didn't seem to cover these issues.

One last question in this long post, how would you handle grabbing victim #1 and slamming him into victim #2?

I'm not sure about what mechanic you'r looking for, but it sounds like you want to be able to send an opponent flying in an instant, hopefully crashing into other opponents or really thick walls.

Ultimately, this sounds like the SFX of a grab/throw, or a Martial Throw maneuver. If you can use it against targets at range, I'd definately suggest using TK. If not, then just use extra STR (either would be limited to "Only To Grab And Throw").

As far as damage from throws, you just do straight STR damage. So your TK grab/throw attack would do 8d6, regardless of how far you throw the victim.

Flight, UAA seems to be the best choice for this to me. The Straight line only limitation would probably be worth about -1/2. Since knockback and throws usually go in an arc, I think the straight line flight better simulates what you are looking for. As far as damage goes, I usually figure it as a 0 STR Move-through, if they hit a wall or other obstacle. So, 30" flight = 10d6.

Wheels has a telekinetic pulse that is defined as momentarily flaring his force shield un an uncontrolled burst.

We bought it as an EB with "Does no BODY" and "Does no STUN", since that leaves just the Knockback..and then added Double Knockback to it.

I would think that would do what you want. Instant impartation of temporary veolicty IS Knockback. Easier to compute on the fly in combat also, and easily ported to another game. nothing in the rules dictates that Knockback is an arc. I'd SFX that one.

Flight UAA also implies control of the movement. I don't see that in the decription. It's more like a kinetic poulse, or a temporary kinretic energy transfer (McGill Feighan anyone?)

Guest Kolava
Originally posted by Farkling

Wheels has a telekinetic pulse that is defined as momentarily flaring his force shield un an uncontrolled burst.

We bought it as an EB with "Does no BODY" and "Does no STUN", since that leaves just the Knockback..and then added Double Knockback to it.

I would think that would do what you want. Instant impartation of temporary veolicty IS Knockback. Easier to compute on the fly in combat also, and easily ported to another game. nothing in the rules dictates that Knockback is an arc. I'd SFX that one.

Flight UAA also implies control of the movement. I don't see that in the decription. It's more like a kinetic poulse, or a temporary kinretic energy transfer (McGill Feighan anyone?)

This is a good idea. If you wanted to be able to blast them in any direction, you could buy it with indirect.