Suggested Reading for FH

proditor

So I was looking through the suggested reading list in the back of FH and realized there was one author I wasn't sure if Steve knew about yet.

Simon R. Green's "Hawk and Fisher" series.

Swords of Haven

Guards of Haven

Blue Moon Rising

Beyond the Blue Moon

That's the order of publication, but not the true chronological order of the stories. Not that it made much difference for me, I just ate them up.

They are quick reads and a lot of fun and they also address something I skimmed across today. How to handle a mystery in a fantasy setting.

Re: Suggested Reading for FH

I like them quite a bit, though rather depressing.

Originally posted by proditor

So I was looking through the suggested reading list in the back of FH and realized there was one author I wasn't sure if Steve knew about yet.

Simon R. Green's "Hawk and Fisher" series.

Swords of Haven

Guards of Haven

Blue Moon Rising

Beyond the Blue Moon

That's the order of publication, but not the true chronological order of the stories. Not that it made much difference for me, I just ate them up.

They are quick reads and a lot of fun and they also address something I skimmed across today. How to handle a mystery in a fantasy setting.

Really? I found Deathstalker much more depressing. I still haven't forced my way through book 5 since I know what happens at the end and if I don;t finish it, it never happened. ;)

I must admit though that Green is about one of two authors who can provoke a reaction like that from me. The puppy dog "If I can't see it, it can't see me" logic.

I'm sure someone reco'd Green to me a couple years ago when I started the "recommend things for Steve to read for FH" thread, but I've never gotten around to reading any of his books. And since I'll soon be gearing up to spend 18 months or so reading pulp stories in prep for writing PH, it's probably going to be a while before I'll ever have the chance. ;)

Thanx for the recommendation!

I like Green's work, at least some of it. Despite some problems, the Drathstalker series has some interesting characters and interesting situations (the voices from the darkness that Cpt Silence encounters is one such situation that was well written). I like the setting/universe too. Given the new series (at least the first book), certain assumptions from the first series may be challenged (especially about the ending of Owen). He builds intricate stories, although his resolutions of some situations tend to be not as good as the buildup.

I like the Prince Rupert books, thought they were well written. To me, though, it seemed like he decided to make the characters (the prince and Julia) into the Hawk and Fisher characters to tie together two separate series. I may be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me. I think I've only read one H&F story.

Currently reading the assembled Kane works of Karl Edward Wagner, another one I'd recommend for some darker fantasy.