FH Grimoire Enchantment

Syberdwarf2

I just bought FHG (excellent book IMO) and was having a little trouble understanding the rules concerning Magic Item Enchantment.

If I read it correctly, the caster buys the Item with character points as listed with the "Item" description. However, he or she must also pay for the spell (one time only!), in order to be able to create said item (as under "creation spell").

Once the caster knows the spell, he can create as many of the enchanted items as he wants (provided he has sufficient supplies of mundane items, spell components, and END).

Did I understand this right?

Now, I know the first part of this sounds like a rules question, but I was also curious;

How do you use magic in your campaign to create magic items? Do you use the 'Turakian Age" system from FHG, or a slightly modified version. If modified, how so?

Thanx in advance.

I haven't gotten grimoire, but I have Fantasy Hero and I think you've got it right. As I understand it, you buy the spell with the Independant modifier and pay it's real point cost every time you make the item.

I don't make players pay points for items in my fantasy game, but I do make ingredients expensive or dangerous to get. I also heavily restrict what they can create and make it take a pretty long time. My campaign uses Alchemy combined with other skills as an item creation skill, instead of a spell-like system.

For instance, you can create a magic sword with some magic iron and various monster parts. After some alchemy and weaponsmith rolls, you could have a 2d6 HKA sword with a 6d6 Aid built in.

Originally posted by Snarf

I don't make players pay points for items in my fantasy game, but I do make ingredients expensive or dangerous to get. I also heavily

You can easily meld that approach into the "official" system by simply stating that certain items or substances come with intrinsic "character points" that can only be used for certain purposes.

For instance, dragon scales may come with 10 Real Points toward making a suit of armor.

Fits your ideas (which are perfectly in genre, BTW) and the point-based item creation system together.

That would be interesting to try. I might have to rewrite a lot of material to get it implemented though.

Right now, I have a somewhat complicated campaign specific system that depends more on getting a certain combination of ingredients than accumulating an amount of points. But a system based at least partly on points would be a lot more flexible and easier to integrate into other campaigns.

Hmmm.....

I like the idea of points for certain materials, to take it a step further, you could base the points on a set amount (1 g of eye of newt is worth 5 pts for building magic items / potions) so more powerful items will require more quantity of material. Also means a well stocked item maker may need a warehouse.

Originally posted by Arthur

For instance, dragon scales may come with 10 Real Points toward making a suit of armor.

Fits your ideas (which are perfectly in genre, BTW) and the point-based item creation system together.

Good ideas.

Heres the ironic story. You spend YOUR character points on a sword that you created, and a thief steals the sword and stabs you in the back with it. I'd rather have a focus, instead, thank you. :)