Building characters of different sizes

Almafeta

Re: Building characters of different sizes

General guidelines are given in the HERO System 5th Edition rulebook under Size Powers on p. 85, and more specific guidelines are given in the descriptions of the Growth (p. 118) and Shrinking (p. 140) Powers. You will also want to look at the description of the Physical Limitation Disadvantage (p. 218) including the examples in the sidebar. It would be nice for all these guidelines to be summarised on one place, but as it is you'll probably need to look at all of these pages. Correct me if I'm wrong, Herodom, but 5-point DCV-only Combat Skill Levels seem to be the best way to simulate the extra DCV that small characters have.

Yeah, and some of us think that it's justifyable to assign OCV levels as well since the smaller characters are trying to hit relatively larger targets. Of course if you really wanted to split hairs, you'd also have to make adjustments for reach.

Most published characters these days buy individual powers to represent larger/smaller size.

For larger than human sizes, you could buy Knockback Resistance to simulate a greater mass and Stretching to simulate longer reach. High phisical characteristics (STR, BOD, PD, ED etc) should be appropriate. You might consider an higher PRE for Presence Attacks. Refer to the Growth power for an example of typical powers. Example: 3 KB Resistance and 1" Stretching for a character up to 4 metres tall.

For smaller sizes, you could buy levels of DCV to simulate the fact that hitting a small character is harder. You could also buy levels in Stealth and Concealment (self only). Refer to the Shrinking power for an example of typical powers. Example: +2 DCV and +2 to stealthy skills for a character less than a metre tall.

You could then give the character a Physical Limitation to represent the inconveniences their unusual size might cause. Look at the sidebar on page 218 of the rulebook for a couple of examples.

It's no longer "canon", but a lot of players still use the tried-and-true system of buying Growth or Shrinking, 0 END, Persistant, Always On, Inherent.

The Hero System Bestiary has extensive guidelines for simulating large and small sizes - highly recommended.

Thanks dude. Bestiary is on my shelf and my reading list but I haven't gotten down to it yet.

I spy Size Templates, on pages 26 - 27. :cool:

Star Hero also has rules for characters of different sizes. I don't have the Hero Bestiary' date=' but I think they're pretty much the same rules.[/quote']

You're right! Size / Weight Templates, pages 30 - 32; Size / Weight Physical Limitation, pages 63 - 64.

Garrr. All these HERO books on my shelf I haven't gotten around to reading yet. :(

So I need to buy Hero's Bestiary' date=' Fantasy Hero, and Star Hero. Okay.[/quote']

No, you don't need any of them. The pages in the HERO System 5th Edition rulebook which I pointed out in my first post explain how to construct size packages yourself. The information in the other three books mentioned just makes it a touch easier by constructing them for you, and you only need one of them to get that information. If you really feel you need three copies of the exact same information, then sure, buy all three. ;)

Not necessarily. You need only the rulebook. If you want to see how the "size" issue has been tackled by Steve at al. at HERO Games you may want to check either one of Fantasy Hero, Bestiary or Star Hero. The rules are the same.

Not necessarily. You need only the rulebook. If you want to see how the "size" issue has been tackled by Steve at al. at HERO Games you may want to check either one of Fantasy Hero' date=' Bestiary [b']or[/b] Star Hero. The rules are the same.

Or he could just buy all three just in case he happens to lose two of them. :thumbup:

It's no longer "canon"' date=' but a lot of players still use the tried-and-true system of buying Growth or Shrinking, 0 END, Persistant, Always On, Inherent.[/quote']

I think I fall into that category, or at least I'm having trouble coming to grips with the new way. I don't have the new Bestiary yet, and maybe it'll answer all my hang-ups. And maybe I should just let it go since it's not like any of my PCs would have Growth (60 pts, Always On). But do giant apes get to sell back 40 pts worth of 5 pt DCV levels now to offset the 60 real pts they have to spend on Strecthing? Those 10 to 20 pt Physical Limitations just don't seem like a fair trade off. I'll probably come around, I just need to chew it some more.