Smart Missiles

SleepyDrug

Star Hero suggests creating smart missiles as fanatically loyal summoned objects. But this seems a bulky and expensive way to accomplish the goal to me.

During 4th ed, someone online posted an optional advantage called Seeking.

Seeking was +3/4 and allowed an attack to make an attack roll on the heroes phase if it missed initially. The attack had to be bought Continuous for Seeking to be used.

Does this sound workable to people?

Re: Smart Missiles

I wouldn't use it as it essentially gives the missile two attacks for one charge. It seems a bit too powerful for just a +3/4. Still, it depends on how you percieve what your smart missiles can do.

K.

PS: How many points for the most famous of all smart bombs, "Bomb 20"? (" And in addition to the darkness there was also me. And I moved upon the face of the darkness and I saw that I was alone... Let There Be Light.")

It is not entirely two attacks. It only ever does damage once. Also it is restricted by the limits of the Continuous advantage...meaning you would have to buy continuing charges or reduced endurance to use this.

So for the whole effect, you need Seeking +3/4, Continuous +1, and (minimum) Zero END Cost +1/2 for a grand total of +2 1/4 for this effect.

But the construct is easier to use and write-up than the missile as vehicle.

I like the Summon construct better actually ... here's why ...

In both "real life" and fiction:

1. Missiles have a rate of movement. They can be outrun (though rarely).
  2. Missiles have a turn rate. They can be outmaneuvered (more common).
  3. Missiles are a physical object. They can be blown up.

With the Seeking advantage you have an attack that:

1. Instantly reaches the target. It can't be outrun or outmaneuvered.
  2. Isn't a physical attack. It can't be blown up.

Both of the above can be fixed with Missile Deflection ... but that seems a very non-genre way of solving the problem. If you outrun or outmaneuver a missile, you could be halfway across the solar system by the time you do ... and out of the fight though you live to fight another day. With Missile Deflection, you're in exactly the same spot as you were before.

And that doesn't even get into the idea of how to simulate countermeasures or heavily-armored missiles ... all of which are much easier to deal with if a missile is a Summon.

I much prefer an Advantage to this "Summon Fanatically Loyal Missile" nonsense. Besides being silly on the surface, the Missile As Summoned Creature/Vehicle construct also brings to mind the early days of Star Fleet Battles, when self-guided "drones" slowed an already-slow system to a positively glacial crawl. Lord knows Hero doesn't need that.

I say go with Advantages and Limitations. Which ones? Here's a brainstorm: Buy the attack with AE: Selective, Megascale it to the maximum range of the missile, add Continuous + Uncontrolled (or more likely, Continuing Charges) to simulate the missile attempting to strike every Phase. The "shutoff condition" for Uncontrolled/CC would be "Missile strikes a target or is destroyed." Define what it takes to destroy a missile (which must satisfy the definition of Uncontrolled/CC). The missile runs out of fuel when Uncontrolled/CC runs out. Season to taste with "Can Be Missile Deflected," "Missile Only Attacks Every Turn" (if the missile is not especially nimble) or whatever else suits the SFX of the rocket.

The cool thing about this construct is that it simulates as many self-guided missiles as you care to say it does. :)

The not-so-cool thing is that it's mucho expensive. Maybe a GM would want to reduce the value of the Advantages by the value of some Limitations and roll the whole thing up into a custom Advantage (which I suppose might be similar to how the 4E "Seeking" Advantage came about).

-AA

I like the Summon construct better actually ... here's why ...

In both "real life" and fiction:

1. Missiles have a rate of movement. They can be outrun (though rarely).
  2. Missiles have a turn rate. They can be outmaneuvered (more common).
  3. Missiles are a physical object. They can be blown up.

4. They have senses (radar, infrared) and can be flashed/darknessed.

5. They have control systems (AI) which could be hacked.

OTOH, I do think that summoned missiles do add complexity. Whether it's worth it depends on the game.