EqualArmor(tm) PCs. Fair and simple?

sbarron

Ok, suppose I didn't want to spend hours trying to create a system for armor that allowed lightly armored, heavily armored, and no armor characters to have basically the same protections (DEF and DCV). So I give everyone 6pd/6ed Armor for free, and let them define it however they want. Wizards could have protection spells, soldiers have platemail, barbarians have hide armor, and swashbucklers are always saying "just missed me." Wearing additional armor doesn't help, all PCs just have 6rpd/6red. And everyone gets the SPX that fits their character.

If I want to give them magic armor, or allow better spells, or make them "harder to hit," then I just increase that characters Def.

What are the drawbacks to this system?

The only one I can think of is that weaker, high dex characters that normally rely on not getting hit will have an advantage over stronger, low dex characters that usually wear heavier armor to avoid damage. That and the fact that everyone would be the same. Any other problems you see?

I suppose it might be just as easy to let characters pay for their armor, up to whatever level I set as the max. So I set the max at 8 rpd/red, and let PCs buy up to the level they want and again they define it how they like. Any thoughts on this one?

Re: EqualArmor PCs. Fair and simple?

Ok, suppose I didn't want to spend hours trying to create a system for armor that allowed lightly armored, heavily armored, and no armor characters to have basically the same protections (DEF and DCV). So I give everyone 6pd/6ed Armor for free, and let them define it however they want. Wizards could have protection spells, soldiers have platemail, barbarians have hide armor, and swashbucklers are always saying "just missed me." Wearing additional armor doesn't help, all PCs just have 6rpd/6red. And everyone gets the SPX that fits their character.

If I want to give them magic armor, or allow better spells, or make them "harder to hit," then I just increase that characters Def.

What are the drawbacks to this system?

The only one I can think of is that weaker, high dex characters that normally rely on not getting hit will have an advantage over stronger, low dex characters that usually wear heavier armor to avoid damage. That and the fact that everyone would be the same. Any other problems you see?

I suppose it might be just as easy to let characters pay for their armor, up to whatever level I set as the max. So I set the max at 8 rpd/red, and let PCs buy up to the level they want and again they define it how they like. Any thoughts on this one?

Your "Equalarmour" idea isn't bad, but it will cut down on character customization, or at least the choice that players can make.

Setting things and 8rPD max and letting them buy it is probably the better way, the truth is most players will then procede to all buy...8rPD! But, at least they chose to do it, so there will be more satisfaction, and the guy who wants the quick unarmoured swashbucker, or the mage who has magical defenses which don't always work (activation roll) can then customize it as they see fit.

Rob

The other option is to give players a choice between different tradeoffs. Some players, however, might just perfer everyone to be equal and it is certainly easier than trying to the following tradeoffs:

high Strength, high Armor, low Dex, low Speed (slow and tough)

low Strength, low Armor, high Dex, high Speed (nimble and soft)

average everything (average)

high Strength, low armor, high Dex, low Speed (strategic)

As an example:

9 Damage Classes, 8/8 Armor, 5 OCV/DCV, 4 SPEED

5 Damage Classes, 4/4 Armor, 9 OCV/DCV, 6 SPEED

7 Damage Classes, 6/6 Armor, 7 OCV/DCV, 5 SPEED

9 Damage Classes, 4/4 Armor, 9 OCV/DCV, 4 SPEED

My reaction was "Fair, Simple, Unneccessary and Boring"

I've never had a problem balancing off light fighters and heavy fighters. Light fighters shine where armour is not possible or not useful (ship-board fights in the rigging, or at the arch-mage's ball) and heavy fighters shine in mass combats where everyone can wear armour.

Nothing stops a light fighter donning heavier armour when approppriate, though he'll be less effective absent the extra points spent on STR and PSLs for armour by a heavy fighter. Conversely, those points spent on DEX, combat luck and CSLs come into their own when everyone is wearing DEF 0 clothing and armed with tableware - but the heavy fighter can still dish out nasty damage with his high STR.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

cheers, Mark