Autofire Targeting question...

I had this situation come up recently....it's a hostage situation. The X's are the bad guys. The H's are the hostages. The S is the hero....

S

HH

X X

The hero is two inches in the air and about 10 hexes away. The player claims he can use autofire to hit the hexes containing the baddies without hitting the hostages(who are held at gunpoint). I disagree. I'd say the hostages are in the way...and in any event, since the baddies have a held action..couldn't they just duck in front of the kids they have as hostage? Anyhow, can he target those back hexes with autofire in that way or not?

Rob

Re: Autofire Targeting question...

If the bad guys have grabbed the hostages (which is normal), then they are in the same hex regardless.

IIRC there are also rules for using cover and hitting the cover if the difference missed by is equal to or less than than cover bonus.

Ah...I'll have to look at that. But...assuming they're all in the same hex..are you saying autofire can't target two different opponents in the same hex?

Rob

Ah...I'll have to look at that. But...assuming they're all in the same hex..are you saying autofire can't target two different opponents in the same hex?

Rob

I don't think there is anything in the rules that forbids this. For your case, I'd consider what is dramatically appropriate and the sfx of the autofire attack. You have a couple of ways for this to end up:

- the bad guys have held actions so they shoot the hostages when the heros make a move (DEX-roll to see who goes first as usual)

- regardless if the bad guys get their actions off from the above, the hostage(s) provide a cover bonus for the bad guys. If the heroes miss due to the cover bonus, then the hostage gets hit. Note, you could get the hostage hit multiple times too :)

- even if the heroes hit the bad guy with the cover bonus, the hostage may still get struck with a stray bullet. Each bullet that misses but only misses due to the cover bonus will strike a hostage. This makes using a full-auto attack in a hostage situation a very bad idea.

If you are using the Cover maneuver, and the villains have their hostages covered (which they should, this is not the same as a held action), then as soon as the hero trys to attack (before he even gets a shot off), the villains can shoot/stab/whatever to their hostages.

That asside, you can use Autofire to strike two targets. The way its written, it sounds as if all the targets must be in seperate hexes, but I don't believe that's true. You can use one shot per target, plus one shot per empty hex between any non adjacent targets. In this case, you have only two targets that are either in the same hex or adjacent hexes.

But, whether or not the villains actually shoot their hostages, the hero might if he tries to shoot the villains. Decide how much cover the hostages provide for the villains. Typically, only the villain's head, and one arm, should and hand should be visible and exposed to fire. The hero has two choices. If he just fires off a generally aimed shot at each, roll Hit Location to see if a covered part was hit (and if so, the hostage gets hit instead). Alternatively, the hero can aim for an exposed hit location of the villain, taking the OCV penalty. In this case, he has a highly reduced chance of hitting, but no chance of hitting the hostage.

In any case, anyone who calls himself a hero will not shoot into any area where hostages are held. Have the media play this up. If the hero doesn't have any regard for innocent life, make sure the public knows about it (unless of course it already is).