Sci-fi the 60's way: Strategic Space Command

proditor

I'm not sure how many of you were into model building, but AMT (The guys who made Star Trek models for like decades) tried to come up with a home grown line of ships and a world setting that did not have a movie or TV show behind it. The designer of the ships was the guy who designed the Botany Bay for the Khan episode of Trek. Anyway, they made one ship (picture attached), it wasn't a huge success and the line got dropped...

Until now that is...

There's a raging storm of creativity over here: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=39

About how to make their dream of a fleet and cohesive setting a reality. The first step was making a ship similar to the one AMT released, the Leif Ericson.

I thought some more rubber science types and nostalgists might get a kick out it. Seems like a great start for a different kind of Star Hero cmapaign. :)

Re: Sci-fi the 60's way: Strategic Space Command

Interesting. I may be starting a campaign this summer, I think it will either be a pulp heros sci-fi fantasy crossover or use something like the old show UFO combined with some of the Anime earth defense elements.

Thanks. :)

I'm not sure how many of you were into model building, but AMT (The guys who made Star Trek models for like decades) tried to come up with a home grown line of ships and a world setting that did not have a movie or TV show behind it. The designer of the ships was the guy who designed the Botany Bay for the Khan episode of Trek. Anyway, they made one ship (picture attached), it wasn't a huge success and the line got dropped...

Until now that is...

There's a raging storm of creativity over here: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=39

About how to make their dream of a fleet and cohesive setting a reality. The first step was making a ship similar to the one AMT released, the Leif Ericson.

I thought some more rubber science types and nostalgists might get a kick out it. Seems like a great start for a different kind of Star Hero cmapaign. :)

Interesting. I may be starting a campaign this summer, I think it will either be a pulp heros sci-fi fantasy crossover or use something like the old show UFO combined with some of the Anime earth defense elements.

Thanks. :)

My pleasure. I already bought two of the ships that one of the guys is making out of resin. They should be here by Tuesday. ;)

Guest Major Tom

I used to have the glow-in-the-dark version that was released under the

"Interplanetary UFO" title, but unfortunately, it suffered a rather disast-

rous encounter with a felinoid lifeform that resulted in a plunge down the

local gravity well (translation: the family cat jumped up on top of my

chest of drawers and knocked the model down onto the floor).

That was probably the only time I ever considered doing something evil to

a cat...

Major Tom :eg:

WoW talk about a blast from the past. when I was ten I had one of thease models. I always thought it looked like the Khan ship, I heard later that the modelers for ST used some of this models parts for it. Thought the bay for the scouct landing craft was to much space though. thanks for the flash back.

Lord Ghee

• 2 weeks later...

*Bow*

Thankee kindly. I even submitted my own proposal for a LPH (basically) that would be used for the galatic equivalent of the Gator navy. It looks like a Leif Ericson that needs to go on a diet. ;) It's in the forum under "Other ships" IIRC.

• 1 month later...

Nice. They've got some nice stuff worked up. There's enough detail on some of the threads' date=' and on this site to work up some of the vehicles. And they got Nyrath to make up a star map! He's the best at those things!

Why, thank you. :winkgrin:

They haven't used the maps much yet though. Perhaps some of you can jump in and make suggestions.

The mapsite is here, the map in 3-D mode is here, and the more usable "node map" of the same area of space is here

I had the very model in the picture when I was a kid. It glowed in the dark. It was one of my favorite toys until I broke it. Hint: Never try to launch a plastic model with a sling shot. :weep: I may buy the new model just for nostalgia's sake. Thanks for the link!

Guest Major Tom

I had the very model in the picture when I was a kid. It glowed in the dark. It was one of my favorite toys until I broke it. Hint: Never try to launch a plastic model with a sling shot. :weep: I may buy the new model just for nostalgia's sake. Thanks for the link!

Well, at least you didn't blow it up with firecrackers. There used to be a TV

horror-movie show host up in Cleveland called The Ghoul (the guy's makeup

made him look like an undead hippie) who used to take plastic models and

blow them up with firecrackers during breaks in the evening's feature. One of

his more memorable stunts involved a pterodactyl model, a line strung from

one side of the studio to the other, and the business end of a bottle rocket.

I can just imagine what he would've done with an SSC Cruiser...

Major Tom :bmk: