Year One Batman Campaign Idea

Mark Rand

As you probably know, I'm a Batman fan. Sure, I don't like his paranoia and stubberness(sp), but I still like hime and I think the Batcave's cool.

I'm giving a lot of consideration to running a campaign with a Year One version of Batman. The following is a list of a few things in the universe.

1) We're using a CU varient, not the DCU.

2) Jonathan Hayes is President of the United States.

3) Batman is recruting a group of allies. The first of which is Batgirl, whose costume looks like Cassandra Cain's.

4) Batman has no problem with magic and mages.

5) The federal government assigns at least two liaisons to each solo hero or hero team. The one from the DOSPA is the team leader. The others can come from the CIA, FBI, Homeland Security, or PRIMUS. (After 9/11, Congress permitted the CIA to work in the United States.)

6) Batman has a small support staff helping him and his team out. (Said staff does not includ Alfred, who also has duties in Wayne Manor.)

Re: Year One Batman Campaign Idea

Sounds very Silver Age. Those were the days when Batman worked easily with law enforcement. How does he keep a Secret ID with all these helpers around?

A gate, or mystical portal, connects the Batcave to a hallway. The other doors in it lead to a first aid room, a Japanese garden, a hotel and a church and Lady Arcane's house in Sommerset, near the University of Gotham and Sommerset Planetarium. (Gotham University, which is also known as both Gotham City University and Gotham State University, is in Chelsea.) The staff, an engineer and a nurse, and the liaisons live in Lady Arcane's house and the heroes enter the Batcave through it. Alfred, of course, doesn't enter the Batcave.

By the way, the engineer is also a ninja who prefers working on equipment and her conditioning to fighting crime, However, Batman can sometimes talk her into coming on a mission.

I suppose there's no real point in pointing out that a "Year One" character is rather unlikely to have all these contacts.

This character looks very like one that is already well established.

I definitely won't bother pointing out that this character bears about as much resemblance to DC's Batman as _I_ do. After all, there is nothing wrong with re-using names. In my universe, Superman is a pink-skinned dwarf with a big head who has the power to turn into a chicken.

I suppose there's no real point in pointing out that a "Year One" character is rather unlikely to have all these contacts.

This character looks very like one that is already well established.

I definitely won't bother pointing out that this character bears about as much resemblance to DC's Batman as _I_ do. After all, there is nothing wrong with re-using names. In my universe, Superman is a pink-skinned dwarf with a big head who has the power to turn into a chicken.

Perhaps I should've said "Batman before he became paranoid" instead of "Batman Year One".

As I type this, it occurrs to me that, in the DCU, Batman's identity is known by, if memory serves correctly, 20 people. It would, I think, be reasonable for Batman's fellow teammates, the two-woman support staff and the non-DOSPA liaison to know who he is. This way, Alfred could keep the Batcave clean while others are there and Lady Arcane's house doesn't have to be used as an entrance.