Gundam SEED

Michael Hopcroft

Has anyone formed enough of an opinion of Gundam SEED yet that it's possible to do any of the characters or mecha justice? I've only seen one episode and don't even know who most of the characters are (it's on at a spectacularly bad time for me to catch on TV, and it's edited anyway -- I much prefer my anime uncut). But it looked really interesting, with its combination of mecha action with speculation on the social consequences of genetic engineering -- and with the apparent hero being conflicted between hating the people responsible for his creation and loyalty to a culture that would be very happy to see him killed....

Then there's that masked enemy. it seems like evry Gundam series has one, and he's usually ultra-cool, ultra-intelligent and with a near=psychic ability to grasp what his opponent's next move is going to be. I don't even know this guy's name, but he seems to have the added trait of being able to find exactly the right buttons to press to turn friends against each other if it suits his purposes.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Gundam SEED

I've been watching it and so far I've enjoyed it. It mirrors the original series without being an outright clone of it. If you were going to do a write up of anyone, they strike me as fairly srightforward normals. Unless you plan on doing someone who's a coordinator, from what I can guess you'd just make them more intellegent and give them some high computer skills. Unless I missed the explaination, coordinators are just more intellegent than naturals.

I've been watching it and so far I've enjoyed it. It mirrors the original series without being an outright clone of it. If you were going to do a write up of anyone' date=' they strike me as fairly srightforward normals. Unless you plan on doing someone who's a coordinator, from what I can guess you'd just make them more intellegent and give them some high computer skills. Unless I missed the explaination, coordinators are just more intellegent than naturals.[/quote']

Since the whole focus of the series is the conflict between those who support coordiinators and those who loathe them with near-genoicdal rage, I would say that a Cooprdiator would have to take a Social Disadvatnage that applies when in territory not controlled by a Coordinator-friendly government, to reflect public antipahy and general discrimination. If the government is really hostile, they'll have aquired a very powerful Hunted as well.

On the other hand, the control of the p[owerful Moblie Suits seems to be the exclusive domain of Cooredinators. Leading to one of the major conflicts in the life of the hero, who knows he is hated by the people he protects but is aware that his own people are capable of outrageous atrocities of their own.

The control of the Gundams by Cooridinators is exclusive becuase they completed the MS's operating system and it came out in such a way that they're the only ones who can successfully pilot one. But since it's still early in the series it's always possible for a Natural to learn how to pilot one as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that the main character isn't really hated by anyone on the side he's fighting for (at least not yet anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

No word yet. You can try checking out http://www.bandai-ent.com/ They release all the Gundam DVDs so that's a good place to go. If you want any kind of Gundam info you can check out http://www.gundamofficial.com/ That site has stuff on all the Gundam series that have released in the U.S. so far. Of course there are a bunch of fan sites you can find through Yahoo or Google, but I don't know if there are any sites for Gundam SEED yet.

• 2 weeks later...

From Anime on DVD:

Gundam SEED Vol. #01 (also w/box) - 125 minutes - $29.98/$49.98 - 08/10/2004

You can get it legally for less. The grocery store Fred Meyher (most of their stores are in the Pacific Northwest) has a greatg online store for music and video. I got my copy of Staoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers for only $19.95, and because I ordered another DVD along with it I didn;t even have to pay shipping. :D

I believe $29.99 is the price for the U.S. release of the DVD. Most anime on DVD tends to be either $24.99 or $29.99, although there are some that are $14.99 or $19.99. I used to work at Suncoast and I bought most of my anime there so trust me on this.

:D

DVD Pricing

I believe $29.99 is the price for the U.S. release of the DVD. Most anime on DVD tends to be either $24.99 or $29.99, although there are some that are $14.99 or $19.99. I used to work at Suncoast and I bought most of my anime there so trust me on this.

:D

The general perspective among the anime fans i deal with on a daily basis is that if you bought it at Suncoast, you probably paid too muhc.

Online sources like DVD planet usually offer substantial discounts on all mvoies, including anime DVDs. And if I had the URL for the Fred Meyer site, I'd pass that along too as their prices are as much as 33% off MSRP. They get thieir profit from volume.

DVD Planet makes you pay shoipping, but Fred Meyer waives it if you spend a specific amount.

We had quite a few regular customers who were big anime collectors at our store. We had a pretty decent anime section which myself and two of my co-workers who were alse anime fans were proud of. We basicaly sold then at the standard retail price. I guess each otaku has thier own preferences as to where to get thier anime. :D

Suncoast/MediaPlay/SamGoody/.... (all the same bloody corp: Sun Capital Corp. under the name Musicland Group)

It actually depends on which area you're in as to how much the markup ends up being ... They, at one point, had an across the board pricing system and realized that to be competative certain parts of the country had to lower prices .. I know in my area I will pay more for an anime DVD from Suncoast than I will at my local anime store or online, but on a trip to SanFran a year ago I found that Suncoast prices were at the same level as the "anime shops" in the area. Go figure. And certain sections mark up even more- Media Play has one of the higher markups, I've seen anime DVDs go as high as 34.99 for what was otherwise a 24.99 purchase at my local anime store.

And for those that think I'm just spouting off ... I'm a director for an anime con, and do check these things with some regularity. http://www.ndk.cc.

Anime On DVD has always been one of the more reliable and accurate sources for release information I've found as well.

As for the original posted question -- haven't seen Gundam SEED, I don't particularly like that series and avoid it if possible.