Heros of the Earth

DocMan

I could use some help fleshing out some of the powers of my latest character concept.

The character is a decendant of a long line of Earth mages, some of whom actually had children by Gnomes, the spirits of the earth. While the character does not actively study magic, he has inherited a natural affinity with the earth. This affinity manifests itself as the ability to shape stone and earth magicly.

Some of the powers have been pretty easy so far: Density Increase, Force wall to create barriers of stone, Armor created of stone.

But a couple of these don't seem to work out right. Maybe another viewpoint can help.

The concept: The character can pull stone and earth from the ground and use it to attack an enemy, by grabbing, punching, or surrounding. These limbs of stone should even be able to reach up and grab flying characters.

The attempt: I tried building this as TK with a physical manifestation and indirect, but the end result is weaker than the character with his Density Increase on. How else can I build this? Streching with Indirect?

The concept: The character can move himself faster through the ground than over the ground. The earth literally opens up and propels him where he needs to go.

The attempt: I looked at doing this with tunneling, but the cost seems much higher than I'd previously expected. Would this work better as teleport w/ tunneling SFX?

The concept: The character can lift himself up by raising stone or earth beneath him. Potentially even moving himself around on a column of stone.

No attempt here. Would this be Fly with a physical manifestation? Something like that?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Doc

Re: Heros of the Earth

• The attempt: I tried building this as TK with a physical manifestation and indirect, but the end result is weaker than the character with his Density Increase on. How else can I build this? Streching with Indirect?

Exactly what came to mind for the stretching, indirect, ranged, though that limits effect to equivalent of your own STR level.

• The concept: The character can move himself faster through the ground than over the ground. The earth literally opens up and propels him where he needs to go.

Desolidification only v. earth + running? This creates a life support issue, I might point out.

• The concept: The character can lift himself up by raising stone or earth beneath him. Potentially even moving himself around on a column of stone.

Yeh, Flight probably.

But I'd wait around for the really inventive ones to chime in here any second now.

The character is a decendant of a long line of Earth mages' date=' some of whom actually had children by Gnomes, the spirits of the earth. While the character does not actively study magic, he has inherited a natural affinity with the earth. This affinity manifests itself as the ability to shape stone and earth magicly.[/quote']

Good concept. Nice plot hooks for the GM to use.

Some of the powers have been pretty easy so far: Density Increase, Force wall to create barriers of stone, Armor created of stone.

But a couple of these don't seem to work out right. Maybe another viewpoint can help.

I will do my best.

The concept: The character can pull stone and earth from the ground and use it to attack an enemy, by grabbing, punching, or surrounding. These limbs of stone should even be able to reach up and grab flying characters.

The attempt: I tried building this as TK with a physical manifestation and indirect, but the end result is weaker than the character with his Density Increase on. How else can I build this? Streching with Indirect?

My original thought was much the same as Blue's, since I've done this very thing to simulate The Spot, punching Spidey through his portals. However, that really isn't the case here. These arms you are pulling up aren't the character's arms. As a result, I'd rule out stretching.

Instead, I'd go for a Multipower: Arms from the Earth with slots for Punching _d6 EB, Grabbing _ def _d6 Entangle, and Hands at a Distance __ STR TK. You can put Indirect on the whole Multipower if you want, as well as add any limitations like, maybe, "must be in contact with surface limbs spring forth from", "effect reduced by range from surface"...etc. I would also consider adding a 'Takes no damge' adder to the Entangle limited to 'only from the PC's attacks'...defining it as "Squeezing" grabbed characters (EB), or taking their trapped foci (TK).

The concept: The character can move himself faster through the ground than over the ground. The earth literally opens up and propels him where he needs to go.

The attempt: I looked at doing this with tunneling, but the cost seems much higher than I'd previously expected. Would this work better as teleport w/ tunneling SFX?

Yeah, Tunneling is the obvious first choice, and really the best and most flexible. My next thought was, again, the same as Blue's. Given the appropriate Life Support, Desolid (only through earth, does not protect from damage) and additional Running (only while desolid), does efectively the same thing. Unless your PC would never actualy stay underground, I wouldn't do the Teleport.

The concept: The character can lift himself up by raising stone or earth beneath him. Potentially even moving himself around on a column of stone.

No attempt here. Would this be Fly with a physical manifestation? Something like that?

Yeah, this is Flight with some appropriate limitations, since a brick or blaster could possibly come along and knock your post out from under you. (And should and will.)

That's all I got without a book. Hope it helps.

Good concept. Nice plot hooks for the GM to use.

Thanks. I hope Klytus agrees.

Instead, I'd go for a Multipower: Arms from the Earth with slots for Punching _d6 EB, Grabbing _ def _d6 Entangle, and Hands at a Distance __ STR TK. You can put Indirect on the whole Multipower if you want, as well as add any limitations like, maybe, "must be in contact with surface limbs spring forth from", "effect reduced by range from surface"...etc. I would also consider adding a 'Takes no damge' adder to the Entangle limited to 'only from the PC's attacks'...defining it as "Squeezing" grabbed characters (EB), or taking their trapped foci (TK).

I had been trying to put everything into just an elemental control (this being such an elemental character), but you do make a good point for a multipower.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Doc

I had been trying to put everything into just an elemental control (this being such an elemental character)' date=' but you do make a good point for a multipower.[/quote']

Hey, you can always give it a lim that it suffers from adjustment powers affecting the EC....makes it cheaper! :yes:

Thanks for the suggestions.

No problem, it's good to feel the Hero System synapses firing again.