Info wanted on mythic kingdoms?

Badger

Re: Info wanted on mythic kingdoms?

I was wondering if anyone knew where I might find information about Atlantis and Mu on the net. I particularly want to know about the myths of their culture if possible. Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.
Since both are purely mythical places, the only legends we have is that Atlantis existed which was mentioned second hand in the works of Plato. Mu was a late addition (Apparently 17th century) to the Atlantis myth; and was supposedly Atlantis' arch-enemy.

Anything you make up will be as accurate as the truth. You might find this thread useful as I give the history of Atlantis in my campaign.

The original source for the story of Altantis (as far as any moderns can tell) is Plato's Republic, in which he used the mythic island nation as a parable illustrating his ideal society. Plato claimed to have learned of Atlantis from Egyptian scholars, but no corroborative evidence has ever been found. This is where you would find the "true" culture of Atlantis; anything written after this is fanciful embellishment without facts to back it up.

The psychic Edgar Cayce claimed to have had visions of Atlantis as a highly technologically-advanced utopian culture. That's probably when that notion of Atlantis started to be popularized. Cayce also foresaw the discovery of the ruins of Atlantis in the twentieth century.

As far as any historical basis for the Atlantis myth, the best scholarship I've seen equates it with the Minoan civilization of ancient Crete. The inundation of Atlantis could be a distant recollection of the awesome volcanic explosion of the Aegean island of Thera (modern Santorini) around 1500 BC. That caused a massive tidal wave which would have devastated the Minoan port cities; as a civilization dependent on sea trade, that blow would have crippled them. (The evidence of decline of their settlements seems to start around that date.)

All of these sources have had much written about them. If you have a search engine you should be able to turn up quite a bit on the Internet. :)

I've been doing a search since I got up this morning (hey it's a holiday and nothing better to do). Yeah I've found Atlantis up the..... :D

Mu has been a problem though which was the one I was more interested. Admittedly I could do an Atlantis just from documentaries and pop culture stuff on the subject. But nothing much on Mu. I really want to make them different (somewhat but not extreme). Well maybe I should :joint: that'll probably give me brainstorm. :D

I do thank you all for suggestion as always. Things get much clearer when you have more than one view on a subject.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across a relatively recent reference work that I think would be of use to you: Lost Continents, by L. Sprague deCamp. It's a very good survey of the theories and popular fabrications that have contributed to the concepts of Atlantis, Lemuria/Mu, Thule, Hyperboria and their ilk. The book points you to the original works which are the source of these concepts, if you want to research them, although they're rather obscure today and tend to be drier than deCamp's lively and entertaining writing.