US civil awards?

Doug McCrae

The PCs in my game recently saved some New York dignitaries - councilmen, community leaders, local businessmen and the like - from death at the hands of a group of super-terrorists called The Family. I'm figuring the mayor will recommend them for some some sort of civil award. So what would that be in the US? Also could anyone provide a list of awards superheroes are likely to receive, for future reference?

Re: US civil awards?

I don't know that they would actually get any medals. We don't have too many of those (short of the Medal of Freedom which is usually a "lifetime achievement" sort of award). They'd probably have a day declared " day" and maybe the key to the city and a nice city council proclamation (and maybe an additional one from the state legislature). If it's a small town, they might get a parade, but probably not if they're in New York City.

I don't know that they would actually get any medals. We don't have too many of those (short of the Medal of Freedom which is usually a "lifetime achievement" sort of award). They'd probably have a day declared " day" and maybe the key to the city and a nice city council proclamation (and maybe an additional one from the state legislature). If it's a small town' date=' they might get a parade, but probably not if they're in New York City.[/quote']

Key to the city?

This document lists all of the national level medals and the award criteria:

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RS20884.pdf

Google Cache in html:

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:VMtGctcry5oJ:www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RS20884.pdf+Civilian+Awards+of+valor&hl=en

I hope this helps, but like Beetle says. These are for very high level achievements. Maybe if the heroes had saved the entire New York congresional delegation they'd qualify for one of these.

This is kind of a side-note, but mightn't there be a system set up specifically for superheroes, just as there are military-specific awards?

Ie, injury in a superfight = purple cape, saving a city or municipality = silver insignia, saving the universe = golden tights.

Key to the city?

A big key-shaped thing that's supposed to symbolize "We think you're great! Come by any time!"

I've been told the idea/term dates back to the middle ages, when someone really important might be given a genuine key to the city gates -- but personally, I don't buy that.

This is kind of a side-note, but mightn't there be a system set up specifically for superheroes, just as there are military-specific awards?

Ie, injury in a superfight = purple cape, saving a city or municipality = silver insignia, saving the universe = golden tights.

If it had its own special awards, like a profession, I think that would entail superheroing organised on a level you don't really see in the comic books.

I mean they'd have salaries and bosses and working hours. And union representation. And then organised crime would get involved.

I don't know that they would actually get any medals. We don't have too many of those (short of the Medal of Freedom which is usually a "lifetime achievement" sort of award). They'd probably have a day declared " day" and maybe the key to the city and a nice city council proclamation (and maybe an additional one from the state legislature). If it's a small town' date=' they might get a parade, but probably not if they're in New York City.[/quote']

We did a parade in NYC at Giuliani's organizing when the Justice Squad defeated the Kingpin, revealing his criminal empire run in a desolid HQ atop a swanky hotel he owned. Kingpin was at that point near sealing his control over the crime syndicates of everything east of the Mississippi in the US, yet was still only a "suspected" crime figure - and in fact "Kingpin" was only known by some to be Wilson Fisk, the alias wasn't well-known even to the police, though some suspected. Kingpin/Fisk had been the singular point frustrating Giuliani's drive to smash the mob, and not even Giuliani knew to what degree. Some would say it could have been an embarrassment but by playing up the accomplishment he spun it to his advantage.