Extra Time, Charges, & Multipower, OH MY!

WillS

Hi all.

I've built an archery based Superhero. He's got a multipower of roughly 40 different arrows. Each arrow in the multipower was bought with one charge each. Now, i try to keep my characters realistic so i figure he could only carry 20 arrows in his quiver at a time. The other 20 arrows, are around his belt, the shafts are telescopic. I figure that if he needs to grab an arrow from his belt (let's say he's fighting a vampire, and the garlic arrow (yes, I have a Garlic Arrow) is in his belt) it should take extra time. The extra time being the lim 'extra phase'. Here is my problem. I won't have a 'standard' of what's gonna be in my quiver at the start of each adventure. If the gam say's that we're going to a bank robbery, i'd make sure my different Flassh arrows were ready in my quivers. If the gm said that Mechanon was rampaging thru the city, I'd make sure all my different Armor Piercing RKA arrows were ready. ect. ect. ect. Even if you say this isn't a problem now and that 40 arrows can fit in a quiver, what do i do in a year when i've accrued 100 char pts and have an extra 60 arrows or so?

Anyway. Usually the GM sends an email before the adventure, that's the set up of the adventure, and based off that I'll write down which arrows i'll have access to right away.

My Point: what sort of disad is this?

Thanks.

Re: Extra Time, Charges, & Multipower, OH MY!

Originally posted by WillS

Hi all.

I've built an archery based Superhero. He's got a multipower of roughly 40 different arrows. Each arrow in the multipower was bought with one charge each. Now, i try to keep my characters realistic so i figure he could only carry 20 arrows in his quiver at a time. The other 20 arrows, are around his belt, the shafts are telescopic. I figure that if he needs to grab an arrow from his belt (let's say he's fighting a vampire, and the garlic arrow (yes, I have a Garlic Arrow) is in his belt) it should take extra time. The extra time being the lim 'extra phase'. Here is my problem. I won't have a 'standard' of what's gonna be in my quiver at the start of each adventure. If the gam say's that we're going to a bank robbery, i'd make sure my different Flassh arrows were ready in my quivers. If the gm said that Mechanon was rampaging thru the city, I'd make sure all my different Armor Piercing RKA arrows were ready. ect. ect. ect. Even if you say this isn't a problem now and that 40 arrows can fit in a quiver, what do i do in a year when i've accrued 100 char pts and have an extra 60 arrows or so?

Anyway. Usually the GM sends an email before the adventure, that's the set up of the adventure, and based off that I'll write down which arrows i'll have access to right away.

My Point: what sort of disad is this?

Thanks.

-0 limitation. Having 16 charges is -0 limitation, so having 40 charges with 20 in easy reach would be -0 limitation. It also doesn't strike me as limiting enough to be worth a -1/4.

My problem with that is that i don't have 40 'charges'. I would if each arrow were the same. I have 40 different attacks with one charge each.

Would this work: what if i made two multipowers, one called "ready Arrrows" and one called "Non Ready Arrows". "Ready arrows would always have 20 slots and would be the same as it is now. I wouldn't write down the arrows on my chaaracter sheet, i'd have all my arrows on a seperate sheet of paper. My multipower of "Non Ready Arrows" would have the Extra Phase lim on it. Since all my arrows cost the same (one pt each) it wouldn't matter which multipower to put which arrow in. Hmm, I like this way, anyone see any problems with it?

Originally posted by WillS

My problem with that is that i don't have 40 'charges'. I would if each arrow were the same. I have 40 different attacks with one charge each.

Would this work: what if i made two multipowers, one called "ready Arrrows" and one called "Non Ready Arrows". "Ready arrows would always have 20 slots and would be the same as it is now. I wouldn't write down the arrows on my chaaracter sheet, i'd have all my arrows on a seperate sheet of paper. My multipower of "Non Ready Arrows" would have the Extra Phase lim on it. Since all my arrows cost the same (one pt each) it wouldn't matter which multipower to put which arrow in. Hmm, I like this way, anyone see any problems with it?

It's more expensive having 2 multipowers. You have to pay the base points twice. Plus, you can't switch slots between the 2 multipowers.

My advice is to just keep a single multipower with a -0 limitation '20 ready slots' as a special effect.

Well, the thing is that VPP's set a precedence with -1/2 can only be changed between aedventures. I'm not sure how you want to play this. If it is really only changing between adventures, then I think that's fair to apply to the MP but, in the spirit of VPP, NOT make it inherited. If you can change it during the adventure "sometimes" then probably -1/4.

By the rules, this isn't much of a Limitation. I'm assuming you have something like:

Multipower: Arrows, X points.

Slot 1: Arrow #1, 1 Charge.

Slot 2: Arrow #2, 1 Charge.

etc.

I would try putting the Limitation on the pool: Extra Time 1 Extra Phase to switch to 20 of the slots, must choose which 20 in advance (takes 1 minute to switch).

Extra Time for all the slots would be -3/4, so I would probably allow the above limitation for -1/4 -- but I would make the character hand me a written list each time he switched, just to keep everything above board.

Here is a somewhat hooky solution; I'm using the Naked Advantage logic to counter a limitation.

Purchase all MP slots with the Extra Time limitation, then take a power outside the MP:

Quiver: Offset Extra Time limitation (1/4 of the AP in the Multipower), 20 Charges (0), Must choose what powers it'll affect beforehand (-1/2, since 20 out of 40 is not exactly a narrow selection), OIF Quiver (-1/2)

For one eighth the cost of the Multipower. Alternately, replace the Must Choose with Activation for random arrow selections, or Requires Skill Roll (Tactics) to see if you were clever enough to pick the right arrows.

I really like Zarathustra's solution.

Whatever you do, a limitation on the pool, is definitely NOT the way to go. It would be, in fact, abusive, and here's why:

a) 10d6 EB - cost: 50 points

B) 50 pt Multipower, Extra time to switch between slots, -1/2

5 u 10d6 EB

5 u 10d6 Flash

- cost: 39 points

b is more powerful than a, and costs less with the lim applied to the pool. If there is to be an "Extra time to switch between slots" lim, it must be applied to the cost of the slots themselves, not the pool.

There was a discussion similar to this on the old boards, relating to wizards with spell MPs. Some spells took longer to remember or otherwise enable.

Originally posted by Zaratustra

Here is a somewhat hooky solution; I'm using the Naked Advantage logic to counter a limitation.

Purchase all MP slots with the Extra Time limitation, then take a power outside the MP:

Quiver: Offset Extra Time limitation (1/4 of the AP in the Multipower), 20 Charges (0), Must choose what powers it'll affect beforehand (-1/2, since 20 out of 40 is not exactly a narrow selection), OIF Quiver (-1/2)

For one eighth the cost of the Multipower. Alternately, replace the Must Choose with Activation for random arrow selections, or Requires Skill Roll (Tactics) to see if you were clever enough to pick the right arrows.

I would probably go with this if for no other reason than ease of paperwork and it's 'cleaner'.

However, Zornwil had a good idea with the VPP. If the GM agreed to it, you may want to conider this. Just make sure that you employ the house rule; "can only use pre-game written arrows".

In the end, it all depends on how much each version would cost. I'd figure out an example but IDHBIFOM.