Hunted: Hekate

Super Squirrel

My wife is going to be playing a character known as: The Greek. The Greek was a mortal left for the gods. Athena discovered her and took her in. Eventually, and how I'm not sure yet, The Greek went to a deep slumber until she was discovered in 2004.

After discussing it with my wife, we realized at the very least Hades and Hekate would be alive and well as both are still worshipped to some degree. We decided to encompass all of the underworld gods just because (such as the fates). Now thinking about it, Hekate would definitely not like having The Greek around. The presense of her would risk getting worshippers of the Greak gods again. Hekate wasn't a very popular god by any stretch of the imagination, but today, she is powerful.

Now, my question is, first how would Hekate discover the The Greek is associated to the old gods. People aren't going be be blasting the fact that she was mentored by Athena all over the news.

Also, beyond Hekate and the other underworld gods. Are they any obvious gods I'm missing that would be, or might still be around.

Re: Hunted: Hekate

Dont mean to be ignorant but I dont remember Hekate, who exactly is she?

Ares (or another civilization's god of war) could still be powerful given the current state of affairs in the world.

Hekate is a very ancient goddess in the eastern Mediterranean region, predating the Olympian pantheon both in the Greek myths and in real life. In some traditions she is called the Triple Goddess because of associations with the cycle of birth, life and death. To the Greeks she was one of the goddesses of the underworld, sometimes associated with the moon. They saw her as the patron of witches and witchcraft, and powerful in sorcery; Zeus himself was said to respect her greatly. She wasn't usually depicted as malevolent, but she was self-interested and could be cruel when crossed.

Super Squirrel, I'm not clear on the premise of your game setting as you describe it. Some modern worshippers of a primal Goddess use Hekate as one of her names, and a few practitioners of "witchcraft" (not Wiccans) may claim to revere her; but these are pretty marginal groups. OTOH Hades was never a popular god as far as worship goes, and hasn't been propitiated in any organized way in nearly two thousand years. I agree with Badger that if any ancient god would still be powerful in the modern world, Ares as the god of violent, irrational warfare would be the likeliest candidate. I remember that the post-Crisis relaunch of Wonder Woman in the 1980's used just that premise.

In any case, I'm not yet seeing why a modern scion of Athena would be viewed as a threat by any of them; anything which promoted reverence of the Greek gods in the modern world would probably be considered a Good Thing.

Pleas enlighten me as to your thinking. :)

First let me clear some things up. The reasons why Hekate and Hades are around is because they are invoked in worship. The way the character premise is set up, the old gods are not gone but asleep because they are no longer worshipped.

Hekate is not only awake, but of the Greek gods active, she would be the most powerful. She is frequently invoked by Mystic archetypes in the Champions Universe who are casting spells.

Hekate in Greek mythology was never popular. She was not an Underworld god though she resided there with Hades consent. Most modern people don't even know of her, let alone what she did. But today, Hekate is powerful. She is more powerful than any of the greek gods and certainly more worshipped. And as most Greek gods were jealous in mythology, she would be afraid of losing that "power".

So my view is that Hekate would see The Greek as a threat to reawaken the Greek gods from their slumber. Unlike Hekate, Hades, and the Fates who operate behind the scenes, the Greek claims to be from the time of Greek Gods and a mentor of Athena. People are fickle, and Hekate knows this. If people realize that the Greek gods were not mere stories, they might begin worshipping them again. At the very least, she threatens to awaken the Goddess Athena.

So Hekate wants to Hunt down and stop The Greek simply because Hekate is at risk of no longer being the "most powerful Greek god" on Earth.

I could see Ares being around though I don't see how people worship him now a days.

Very interesting idea. A note of caution for you, though: does your wife realize how many "Zorba" jokes she'll get with a character named "The Greek"? How about "The Achean" or the name of someone from mythology like Lysistra or Electra? (well, maybe not Electra...)

I'm jealous of you and Supreme. I've wanted to do a character based in Greek mythology for some time, but the Champions campaigns that I'm in all have a unified origin of all supers (usually "everybody's a mutant") which can be very limiting.