Help with two power stunts?

nexus

Vector, a teleporting speedster/blaster has a stunt where he teleports rapidly from spot to spot in the space of a phase, firing a blast each time he appears. I was considering making it indirect/autofire perhaps?

Earthquake is a brick and he's going to be facing an PC of mine that can "root" himself to the ground (or whatever he happens to be standing on). I want EQ to have be able to rip up that surface and thus move the PC. Dispel Vs Clinging? Some sort of TK?

Re: Help with two power stunts?

For Vector, have you considered Area of Effect (Any Area) Selective Target? I have a martial artist in one of my campaigns who purchased a 4d6 EB this way, with the special effect that she's bouncing, flipping, jumping, etc. throughout the area give elbow jabs, knee kicks, etc. to the targets in the area. It was designed to deal with Norms With Guns who hold a number of people hostage in an area (like the lobby of a bank).

As for the other, it would be helpful to know how the PC "roots" himself. Just I'm assuming with Clinging, but you didn't specify, and as usual with HERO, there are a lot of ways to produce any given power effect.

Vector - Indirect Autofire is probably your best bet mechanically .. though I'm not sure if the blasts will be able to come from different locations with that unless the GM permits it (I may be remembering this incorrectly but I think each blast comes from one spot...)

Earthquake - I suggest an AoE:Hex TK to rip the ground up - target the hex instead of the character. A Dispel Clinging would affect the character only - a special effect might be to make the surface being clung to rubble or loosegravel, but I don't see it being used to rip up areas of ground or what have you.

As for the other, it would be helpful to know how the PC "roots" himself. Just I'm assuming with Clinging, but you didn't specify, and as usual with HERO, there are a lot of ways to produce any given power effect.

Whoops!

He uses Clinging 80 Strength(!) and a metric ton of Knockback resistance. The player has lots of Defenses and Damage Reduction that only applies when rooted. His favorite tactic against another brick is to "Root" and windup for a Haymaker.

Whoops!

He uses Clinging 80 Strength(!) and a metric ton of Knockback resistance. The player has lots of Defenses and Damage Reduction that only applies when rooted. His favorite tactic against another brick is to "Root" and windup for a Haymaker.

you know ... the best way to effectively foil this tactic is to have the opposing fighter take a step back a hex.

Yeah' date=' but I want to see the look on his face when EQ hefts him up. :)[/quote']

Ah, then I definately reccomend AoE:Hex Telekenesis ... then your player can't actually do anythign to stop it because he's rooted to a hex that just go moved up in the air twenty feet... and a Hex's DCV is 3 with whatever defenses YOU decide it has. And of course your player is now rooted to a hex that was just tossed into his teammate....

Ah' date=' then I definately reccomend AoE:Hex Telekenesis ... then your player can't actually do anythign to stop it because he's rooted to a hex that just go moved up in the air twenty feet... and a Hex's DCV is 3 with whatever defenses YOU decide it has. And of course your player is now rooted to a hex that was just tossed into his teammate....[/quote']

Thanks. I know it likely looks like I'm playing "Lets screw the PC" here but that's not my intention. Just want to add some comic book flavor to their fights. Its been quite a rivalry between these two characters. I can make the action take a skill roll and/or be High end so he can't do it all the time.

It actually hadn't occured to me that you were trying to screw the PC over ... so there ya go.

Most times PCs need something that can and will overcome them - through conflict comes growth. If his main tactic was one thing and he didn't do much else then eventually something will come along that isn't affect or can foil his one tactic - thereby forcing the player to make the character think of something new ... screwing the PC over would be when you make him utterly useless in every fight.

Whoops!

I'd consider just using huge double knockback attack and overwhelming it with raw power. The player might feel gypped if you cheaply go around a defense he spent a ton of points on.

It actually hadn't occured to me that you were trying to screw the PC over ... so there ya go.

Most times PCs need something that can and will overcome them - through conflict comes growth. If his main tactic was one thing and he didn't do much else then eventually something will come along that isn't affect or can foil his one tactic - thereby forcing the player to make the character think of something new ... screwing the PC over would be when you make him utterly useless in every fight.

I don't see this as crewqing the PC over either. Actually, if you don't make it impossible for him to root in sometimes, he's getting all those "only when rooting" bonus points for free. Then he's screwing the rest of the characters over.

hmmm...reminds me of the Blob vs. the Hulk many years ago. "Ha! When I'm rooted to the ground, ain't nothing can hurt me!" "Then Hulk will smash ground!!"

Depending on how strong the opposition is, there may not be a need for special powers:

Your character is clinging to the ground with 80 Str, but can the ground handle that much force? I don't think it is being unfair to say that if somebody with 70 STR tries to lift your player, they may not be able to beat his 80 Str clinging but would still do 14d6 damage to the ground being clung to.

According to The Ultimate Brick, a hex of Sand has 10 Body & 1 Def, this means that if he is rooted to the beach the bad guy only needs to do 11 body with his 14d6 to the ground in order to destroy the hex he is standing on. I would describe this as him lifting your Player's character along with the hex he is standing on.

If you go this way, the surface his is standing on becomes alot more important.

Soil has 10 Body 0 Def

Sand has 10 Body 1 Def

Asphault has 14 Body 5 Def

Concrete has 19 BOdy 5 Def

And so on..