VPP Limit: Reduced Real Point Pool

Okay, idea for a VPP limitation: Reduced Real Point Pool.

Basically, the VPP in question has a smaller quantity of real than active points.

Ex: 100 point VPP with 50 real points. The maximum active points anything constructed with it can have is 100 points. However, the most real points the pool can provide, to one or more constructs, is 50 points. A single power, therefore, would need -1 of limits to be purchasable, if 100 points.

Is this a reasonable limitation/construct?? If so, how much would it be worth per interval ( say, 75%/50%/25% of active point limit )??

Re: VPP Limit: Reduced Real Point Pool

I've seen VPPs that have had a cap of active points (i.e. multiple gadgets with a limit of how powerful any one gadget can be).

If the special effects works, I would probably use Variable Limitations on the Control Cost (though the FAQ is probably against it) since that is what it seems to be imitating. If it was a generic gadget pool, I would use -1/4 (if IIF are possible), or -1/2 (if IIF aren't possible) or -1 (if all gadgets are OAF).

The problem becomes that the limitation value is based, somewhat, on the type of pool. If it is an OAF gadget pool, then it's automatically limited to half active points. If it is a magic pool, then it's worth a -1/2 (maybe) on the control cost to be have powers limited to half active points.

Personally I've never had a problem separating the control cost (which determines the max Active Cost of a slot) from the pool cost (the total Real Cost of all slots). I don't give a Limitation for it. I just allow the player to buy a smaller pool with a larger control cost.

-AA

I would apply Variable Limitations to the pool. if you want to limit the real points available to the power pool then you apply a -1/2 Variable Limitation - this requires every power to take a -1 worth of limitations.

Be careful applying Limitations to powers in a VPP, sometimes they just don't make sense, though the problem is less of an issue with non-cosmic VPPs. And it's compounded by the fact that Varialbe Limitations is a ! limitations already, the GM should watch this very closely.

The method I use, and some other's I've seen on these boards (such as austenandrews). Is to use the pool cost as the total real points and base the control cost on the maximum active points. Thus:

100 Pool Cost

5 Control Cost

105 total - Up to 100 real points worth of small powers with no more than 10 AP each.

50 Pool Cost

50 Control Cost

100 total - Up to 50 Real point worth of powers, each of which could have up to 100 Active Points. Of course in order to have a 100 AP power, you'll need at least -1 of limitations.

70 Pool Cost

35 Control Cost

105 total - Standard Pool, up to 70 Real points of powers, each with up to 70 Active points.

That's an interesting way of doing things Phil... I'll have to remember that.

This is something that I've wondered about myself. Using the standard rules, I've been having a little trouble constructing my Use the Force VPP for Jedi and Sith. Basically, It's a 60 point VPP, but no single Power in it can have a real cost greater than 30. So you could have an awesome TK 40 STR effect to pick up that X-Wing, but you'll have to have Concentration 0 DCV Throughout to do it. But if all you wanted to do is jump up to that balcony you could use Leaping +30" without a Limitation.

Just remembered .. here's one a character of mine actually has:

a Limitation on the Control Cost of the pool only, -1/2 "No power greater than 40 Active Points" in a 70pt VPP.

You could easily change that to "No power greater than 40 Real Points" (or whatever target number you're aiming for) thus forcing the character to either place limitations on larger powers to bring the RP cost down or use smaller powers.