Using Attack Roll as Burnout Roll

I was thinking about how to write up some primitive weapons (bone, wood, flint, etc.) that could break if used too long. A regular weapon with Burnout seemed to be a good fit. I was wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't use the unmodified attack roll for the Burnout roll as well. I'm just trying not to have every melee attack require two die rolls.

Re: Using Attack Roll as Burnout Roll

It wouldn't be unreasonable to use Burnout. If you reverse the roll in Burnout, so that a "successful" roll indicates Burnout (rather than a failed roll), you can combine it with your to hit roll and an "-8 or less" would become a -3/4 limitation. This way it only can burnout if you actually hit with it (which makes more sense than breaking on a miss).

Other possiblities: Focus, Breakable. Somewhat similar to Burnout if you actually determine damage done to the weapon when it is used. Also can be destroyed independent of attacking with it.

Also: Side Effect, 0 END Suppress (effectively permanent) on the weapon itself limited to when you successfully hit. This results in the weapon slowly losing effectiveness each time you attack with it.

I don't see anything wrong with using the attack roll (whether regular, ior reversed) other than the fact there's no compelling logic that the weapon will only break on a good hit, or will only break on a bad to hit roll.

At the same time, what's so hard about rolling 3d6 of each of two colours - one colour is to hit and the other is the burnout roll - on each attack with the weapon? That seems an easy way to have the burnout roll separate without increasing the number of times the dice get tossed.

I also use burnout for primitive weapons of stone, bone, wood, etc.

Using the to hit roll is a good idea for reducing die rolls. I'll consider it.

The basic problem with it is that realistically weapons break on hits not misses. But burnout can work on hits or misses anyway.

One way to cut down on die rolls while still rolling all of the dice is to have different colored dice and roll them at once.

We do this sometimes for to hit and location, roll 3 blue dice and 3 red dice. Blue is to hit, red is location. Speeds things up a bit.

I've used the Fragile Foci to simulate easily broken weapons in the past, and simply GMed any result that might result in breakage (It's rather riduculous to have your bone knife shatter while carving off a hunk of cheeze for breakfast, or slicing through thin rope to rescue the princess).

If I were to use Burnout (which is a facinating idea!) I'd require the rolls to be made seperate. It's just as likely the weapon will break on a missed roll as it will on a successful one.

As a part of the Real Weapon Limitation' date=' the GM could just define that the weapon breaks on an attack roll of 18 or 17-18 depending on how fragile the weapon is.[/quote']

I like this method. Otherwise on an 8- you are going to see your fighters showing up with golf bags full of swords!

Plus, 18 sounds dramatic. The weapons shatters on the opponents shield/weapon/thick skull.

Good luck!

At the same time' date=' what's so hard about rolling 3d6 of each of two colours - one colour is to hit and the other is the burnout roll - on each attack with the weapon? That seems an easy way to have the burnout roll separate without increasing the number of times the dice get tossed.[/quote']

It's not that there's anything particularly hard about it, it just seems annoying. For the campaign I'm working on, all weapons are made from these materials. You're already rolling to-hit, location, and damage for each attack. Adding a fourth roll just seemed like too much.

It's not that there's anything particularly hard about it' date=' it just seems annoying. For the campaign I'm working on, all weapons are made from these materials. You're already rolling to-hit, location, and damage for each attack. Adding a fourth roll just seemed like too much.[/quote']

Don't make each roll separately and you'll save time. Roll two colours of dice (6 in total) for "to hit" and "break", and 2 colours for damage and hit location if you hit, and you;re done. [Or take 4 colours and a big handful of dice to do everything at once, but most gamers like to roll damage after they hit.]

Nothing specifically wrong with using the attack roll for the break chance, but it means weapons only break on good hits (or bad misses, if you reverse the numbering).