Sword Masters

Jkeown

I have an idea about a style of magic that is bound up in a person, but usable only with a certain class of weapons... For example... A person might know a special technique for hitting harder (Bonus Damage, right?). The technique only works when one has a sword... any sword.

So is that a Focus? I think if it is, it's not much of one.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: Sword Masters

I have an idea about a style of magic that is bound up in a person, but usable only with a certain class of weapons... For example... A person might know a special technique for hitting harder (Bonus Damage, right?). The technique only works when one has a sword... any sword.

Well, it IS. I mean, you lose one sword, how easy IS it to find another one?

Much harder than finding another rock (-1/2).

Personally, I say buy it with the normal focus limitation reduced by -1/4, as it's a little easier to replace.

Ah, the Gourry effect.

oAF, easily replaceable (just pick up another sword or buy one at the nearest swordsmith), I'd call that a -1/4 Limitation on extra dice of HKA.

Question: If you did get a really special sword (such as en enchanted blade that does extra damage already), would the bonuses stack?

And what about skill? Wouldn;t it be locical for this character to buy OCV levels in Sword, or even a sword-based matiral Arts style, to reflect extraordinary talent with blades? Might the MA style even supplent the extra dice of HKA (as a manuver would give extra dice of damage and generally be cheaper in addition?) I'm wondering if you might accomplish the same effect by making him a master of a weapons-based MA like Kenjutsu or your world's equivalent.

Already covered in Hero system rules, sort of. OIF: weapon of opportunity (-1/2). That refers to any old weapon: if the character is restricted to swords, you might like to make it -3/4, since they are a little harder to get hold of. even if you lose your sword in a city, it's not like you can replace it instantly: swordsmiths were not common.

cheers, Mark