Looking for a Costume Designer

Dust Raven

I've seen several computer games (such as City of Heroes) that include a costume designer. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get ahold of any of them (and CoH's only works while online so I hear).

Where could I go to find, download, buy or otherwise obtain something like this?

Thanks everybody!

Re: Looking for a Costume Designer

You're not the only one. I wish there was something out there like the COH designer. There's Hero Machine, of course. But, no offense to the artist for HM, but I don't like the art used there. I notice that his work is used in Hero books like Champions Universe, and there it works quite well. But piecemeal art just never works quite right.

I'm an artist myself and can design my own stuff. But a CG developer would certainly be a handy tool for quickly calling up and discarding costume elements, so that, when I get close to something I like, I could just draw that instead of wasting graphite and paper on discarded designs.

I don't know but I remember a game I played once, Freedom Force. This game had something similiar to a charactergenerator with a costumedesigner (you can search the net vor other skins and so on)

As far as I remember their will be a sequel, maybe they will have something that is usefull as an costumedesigner in there, too

RE: Freedom Force. I don't believe this game has a "costume designer" in the way the original poster is looking for. FF uses bitmap-skins for costumes, you pick the skin in question but the skin itself is created externally in a program like Photoshop. And it's a more complicated skin than, say, The Sims uses... So you pretty much have to be an artist in the first place.

I've always used HM to come up with a basis for an idea. Their pieces don't always work well, and the poses may be off for what you want, but I can usually come up with something close to what I had in mind and just use that as a basis. Perfect it is not, and the art style may, again, be off from your mental picture but there is a free version to play around with that's probably worth checking out.

-B