creating "wild" powers

Steve Trustrum

Question: what would you guys and gals suggest for creating a power that would work on a theme (such as, flames/heat) but would have random effects? NCC doesn't really work because I'm talking effect rather than when it turns on. I'm thinking of one version that is totally random while another that only goes wild if the skill roll fails.

For example, a character with the ability to shoot fire from his hands must worry about it shooting off in random directions, setting himself on fire, etc.

Suggestions?

Re: creating "wild" powers

We have a telekintic hero who has to make a Skill Roll for his powers to work properly. If he fails the roll, then the GM decides what is the most appropriate effect based on what he was trying to do.

- If he was trying to fly, he gets launched into the air really fast and then falls to the ground

- If he was trying a TK punch, he accidentally hits a teammate

- If he was trying to create a shield, it ends up inploding on him and doing damage.

I don't know if you can really come up with a set mechanic for such a thing since it, by nature, is random.

There is a version of NCC at the -1 level that indicates the character can activate but not control the Power. Its listed in FRED.

Just make a list of possible outcomes and roll on it when the power is activated.

Alternately, and perhaps preferably, simply put the Power on an Activation Roll at whatever level desired, and put a Side Effect on the Power, with the Side Effect defined as "Random Effect from List". I would probably decrease the SE by -1/4 if some of the effects on the random list didnt actually harm the Power's user, such as misfires and environmental effects.

Question: what would you guys and gals suggest for creating a power that would work on a theme (such as, flames/heat) but would have random effects? NCC doesn't really work because I'm talking effect rather than when it turns on. I'm thinking of one version that is totally random while another that only goes wild if the skill roll fails.

For example, a character with the ability to shoot fire from his hands must worry about it shooting off in random directions, setting himself on fire, etc.

Suggestions?

If its totally random then use "No Conscious Control" if it only goes random after failing a skill roll then use "Side Effects-PC looses control of effect if fails skill roll"

Something like this might be interesting:

39 Real Cost Quirky Fire Power: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the use of the Power; Variable Advantage Random (roll d4, 25% perentile, or similar); +0), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages (Reduced END, Armor Piercing, Penetrating, Explosion); +3/4) (87 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), Side Effects (Side Effect is Random And May Or May Not Affect Character; Random Effect From List; -1/4) 9 END

Of course, keep in mind that this kind of thing can be amusing at first but quickly grow to be aggravating or more trouble than it's worth.

Alternately' date=' and perhaps preferably, simply put the Power on an Activation Roll at whatever level desired, and put a Side Effect on the Power, with the Side Effect defined as "Random Effect from List". I would probably decrease the SE by -1/4 if some of the effects on the random list didnt actually harm the Power's user, such as misfires and environmental effects.[/quote']

I think that idea sounds best. Thanks!

If the character had no control over what the Power did each use: One Power (any appropriate, I'd suggest an RKA for "fire") with Side Effect (equal Active Points; occurs each use) and the SE is any fire effect of the same active cost chosen by the GM or rolled on a premade list.

If the character can sometimes control that the Power does: By the set of Powers as you normally would (using whatever Framework is appropriate) and apply either an Activation Roll or a Required Skill Roll (again, whichever is appropriate) and the Side Effects from above (but without the occurs each use).

There is a version of NCC at the -1 level that indicates the character can activate but not control the Power. Its listed in FRED.

Just make a list of possible outcomes and roll on it when the power is activated.

Alternately, and perhaps preferably, simply put the Power on an Activation Roll at whatever level desired, and put a Side Effect on the Power, with the Side Effect defined as "Random Effect from List". I would probably decrease the SE by -1/4 if some of the effects on the random list didnt actually harm the Power's user, such as misfires and environmental effects.

I don't know if I would decrease the SE for that. One thing about random Side Effects is you can't plan to minimize the effect of the side effect. That seems to compensate for the possibility of some benefit from the random effect.