We are known by our enemy

Mr. R

I bought the Turakian Age setting a couple of weeks ago (very nice). I like that the country's seem real ie something is happening there and may or may not resolved regardless of PC effects. However the PCs can always be there to muck things up. Make it seem like Hyboria in a way.

OK enough with the congratulations and on with my question. One part is definately not Conan, Kal-Turak. More like Sauron. So since he is the BEBG, has anyone who is using or plans to use Turakian Age have a counter force. A group of Elronds/Gandalfs/Aragons/Thorins who exist to battle his minions, foil his plans, and generally weaken him.

Anyone?

Re: We are known by our enemy

Isn't that what players are for?

Of course they will need some fattening up first, but since the BBEG tends to lurk in the background the playes will be opposing/foiling minions rather than going toe to toe with him. In that case, you don't need a strong counter-evil person or group: multiple little-bitty foes would do nearly as well. After all, using the Sauron metaphor, Denethor was the lord of the mightiest human kingdom, was he wasn't planning on going hand to hand with Sauron. Even Galadriel, who was pretty much the shiznitz as far as non-godly types went, was probably no match in a straight contest.

So.. it's up to you. If it was me, I'd have *at least* three anti-BBEG groups all with slightly different agendas, but that's just me :D

cheers, Mark

... One part is definately not Conan' date=' Kal-Turak... [/quote']

Huh? TA is high fantasy (LOTR, etc.). The Valdorian Age will be the Sword & Sorcery setting (ala Conan, Elric, etc...).

I agree that the players should form the group of heroes opposing the dark evil force. Having some organizations or nations that are willing to bankroll that would help (or at least as advisors and safe-havens). Could be a way to get characters involved faster. I imagine they would do so cautiously and secretly, to avoid drawing attention to themselves.

Huh? TA is high fantasy (LOTR' date=' etc.). The Valdorian Age will be the Sword & Sorcery setting (ala Conan, Elric, etc...).[/quote']

The Valdorian Age will be a S&S setting without a doubt, but I also got a strong Conan impression from TA. Not in a bad way at all, mind you; I was very impressed how Steve managed to have both the gritty feel of Conan with a magic level somewhat more reasonable than Greyhawk. I really like the setting, and although I had no plans to use it, I made it the basis for the scenarios I've run at Cons.